Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Facial hair tricks
The answer may reside with correcting/solving your mouth breathing situation. Why do you breathe through your mouth? Are you able to breathe through your nose? If so, maybe all you need is a good chin strap to keep your mouth closed.

Are your nasal/sinus passages blocked with polyps? Have your local ENT doc ream out the passages (this is something I have to have done every 5 years otherwise I end up a mouth-breather too).
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINIONS ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY STATEMENTS OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a goatee and use a FFM. In my case the trick was to get the right size mask - I use a Quattro Air small. The medium feels like a better fit, but the small actually has less leaks around my chin and is adequately comfortable. (It does leave a mark on my nose, which goes away fairly quickly).
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought I was a mouth breather in the beginning but I could not adapt to FF mask. I have trouble breathing through nose. IF you can adapt to nasal pillow it will solve your dilemma so maybe this will help.

I started using saline flush to open my nasal passages and it works...disgusting but it works. I also hate chin straps so I use something else to keep my mouth shut.

Use anything soft and comfortable. Use a Tshirt, or couple of fluffy wash cloths. Roll them up until the diameter is sufficient to lay between your chin and chest t keep your mouth close. You will have to experiment a bit, but it may set you free to use nasal pillows which I absolutely love. You might need to secure the ends of the chin pad so it stays put. I pull my Tshirt collar over the ends of my device. That keeps it in place through the night... Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply

I don't know what I will think of my chin strap when it is 110 to 115 or more degrees outside but right now, I welcome it because it is cold (yea, I know it isn't as cold here as it is in the east but for us, it is cold. It was 28 degrees this morning..... brrr..........
Post Reply Post Reply
East??? it was 19 here in Texas today. You might just freeze your......
....facial hair off. LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2013, 09:20 PM)drgrimes Wrote: East??? it was 19 here in Texas today. You might just freeze your......
....facial hair off. LOL

that is one of a few reasons that we don't miss living in Texas! Too cold....sleet, sometimes snow, rain, tornadoes and MOSQUITOES! lol
Post Reply Post Reply

I have a full beard, kinda sorta. I quit shaving when I retired, now when the beard gets to long, I take the clippers and trim my entire head to the same length...I don't need to impress anyone anymore. Saves me a lot of cash on barbers!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross Can't use CPAP unless my hair is in a ponytail UGHHH kyhmm72 23 1,538 04-16-2016, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Judy1843
  Getting used to it - need tips and tricks (would like to avoid Lunesta) shewhorn 19 1,508 02-19-2016, 04:26 PM
Last Post: shewhorn
  Facial Profile Drawings PaytonA 5 699 10-18-2015, 04:49 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Facial Changes + Apnea Made Worse By CPAP Article... player 2 967 09-21-2015, 02:14 AM
Last Post: player
  Wisp Nasal Mask and Facial Rash (dermatitis) kdmorris410 5 1,507 08-11-2015, 07:06 AM
Last Post: kdmorris410
  Mask Recommendations For Facial Hair LexTac 19 2,714 07-21-2015, 05:13 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Dirty Tricks... Long Story Bro... player 11 2,569 02-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Last Post: sleepy1235