Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Facing a Power Outage - what can I buy to power my machine?
RE: Facing a Power Outage - what can I buy to power my machine?
I appreciate the spoon-feeding - it's exactly what I need.

So ok, if I buy the $33 converter for the ResMed, I'll get twice the time out of my battery. That sounds better. If I plan to travel where I need power, I think I'll go for that.

But in the mean time, I will be using the DreamStation for my power outage. Does the DS not need a converter? Or does DS not offer a converter?

Also, it was mentioned in this thread that the DS consumes power slower than the ResMed, so it will last longer on the battery. Does that statement assume the ResMed is using the converter?
Post Reply Post Reply
Merci, Monsieur Nape.

I understand that some other options would get me more hours of use than the Maxoak.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hydrangea, te Dreamstation uses 12-volt power. The Resmed DC adapter up-converts from 12 to 24 volts but as long as t9 Philips can connect to 12-volt power, it's happy with that. There is a 12-volt DC connector for the Dreamstation that uses the same cigarette plug adapter. Search "DC Power Cord for Respironics DreamStation, Cigarette Lighter". This cord includes the end that fits in your machine and the cigarette lighter adapter that connects to the female 12-volt adapter on the battery. There is no converter in-line but there are 2 "ferrite cores" on the cord to suppress electrical noise.

Note you only need one of the female DC outlets, so get one with either the Resmed or Respiration adapter. The cheapest option for this part is to search "NOCO GC017 12-Volt Adapter Plug Socket With Battery Clamps " on Amazon, and you will find one for $9.94 with clamps for the battery, and inline fuse for safety, and a lighter adapter. Another option is the "NOCO GC018 12-Volt Adapter Plug Socket With Eyelet Battery Terminals" which uses screw-on battery terminals instead of clamps. for $6.96.

[Image: 81ts6uqAhgL._AC_SS350_.jpg]
[Image: 81-pJWS7CaL._AC_SS350_.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My forewarned power outage didn't last as long as I expected, so I didn't need to use the Jackery 240 for the entirety of my night's sleep. I only used it for 2 hours 24 minutes. But here is the data I collected with that use.

I used my DreamStation, using the normal plug that I plug into the wall outlet in my house. No exhale relief (Flex off). 9.5 pressure, fixed, in CPAP mode. Tube temp level 4. Humidity level 3. 2 hours 24 minutes brought the battery down to 57%.

Considering I'd like to be able to get 8 hours of sleep (using heated tube & humidity) from one portable power supply, I don't think these are favorable results.

BUT I have heard the voices here saying the converter is key, for decreased drain on the battery. So I'm ordering that from Amazon, for my ResMed (which is my preferred machine for travel).

I'm sure I'll do more experimenting over time, and I'll keep those udpates in this thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2020, 05:39 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Your assumption is correct.  Using a Resmed power supply that has an AC wall style power plug, means that it has to invert the AC power to DC.  This conversion consumes a good bit of power.  Try searching Amazon for, "KFD Car Charger DC Adapter for Resmed S10 Series".

I'm reading all of the responses on this thread multiple times, in order to try to understand the DC/AC thing.  

Please correct me if I'm wrong.  I now understand that:
- The outlets in my house are AC.  
- My ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset uses DC, but the power cord it comes with to plug into the outlets in my house converts to AC.
- The Jackery portable power supply that I'm using can provide AC power if I plug the normal (house outlet) plug into that spot.  OR/and it can provide DC power if I plug into the cigarette lighter plug spot.
- I can buy an affordable cigarette plug thing (KFD device mentioned above) that can connect my ResMed to my Jackery, which will keep power in the same way (DC), thus not wasting battery energy doing conversion of DC (Jackery) to AC (the power cord that came with my ResMed machine) to DC (my ResMed machine).  So this is the best way to efficiently power my ResMed machine for a longer amount of time off of the Jackery.

So my next question (since you know I prefer my DreamStation) is this: Is all of the above ALSO true with the DreamStation?  Or does the DreamStation operate off of AC, and thus the power cord it comes with does not do any converting to DC?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,790 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 229 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,412 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 405 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,155 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 981 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 870 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.