Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Facing a Power Outage - what can I buy to power my machine?
Facing a Power Outage - what can I buy to power my machine?
I'm facing an upcoming power outage (overnight), and I would like to be able to sleep.  I'm wondering what sort of power thing I can buy that can power my CPAP overnight.  (I can use either my ResMed Airsense 10 Auto or my DreamStation. It doesn't matter to me.) 

I need it to be able to have the humidifier running, because I've not been successful sleeping without it.

Could you please recommend what I should buy? 

I looked up the Jackery, and saw a review here at AB for a Jackery 160 that could power a cpap with NO humidity/heat for 2 nights.  But I don't know what the difference is in power needs for with humidity/heat vs without humidity/heat.

Please advise.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Facing a Power Outage - what can I buy to power my machine?
I believe Resmed and dream  station both make powerpacks for their units, or you can look for something that they use around campsites like this. It specifically mentions that it works well for CPAP Including humidifier/heaters.....Certainly many of these power packs will work fine for just one overnight.

[Commercial Link Removed] Search Amazon for, /MAXOAK-Airsense-Dreamstation-Transcend-Emergency

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
Your Dreamstation uses 12-volt power and requires no conversion of the power to make it work. You will need a 12-volt battery and a way to get the DC power into your machine. Since you are in a hurry to get this done, a quick way to get the parts would be to go to a store like Batteries Plus where they sell many kinds of batteries and adapters. I suggest looking at a ATV or car battery, than using various parts as adapters. You need a plug that fits your CPAP (take your CPAP and cord so they can identify it). One way is to use a cigarette lighter plug connected to the battery with the red and black clamps, and get a cord terminated with your CPAP power plug on one end and a cigarette lighter male adapter on the other. To see an example that is available for sale very inexpensively search the term below. This may even be available at your DME or CPAP supplier locally. If you can source the part, then all you need is a battery an the battery clamps with lighter adapter. The Resmed is 24 volts and needs a voltage converter that changes 12 volt power to 24, and we can discuss that later, but the fastest solution now is the Philips.

1120746 (DC Power Cord), 1120747 (DC Power Cord with Direct Connection Battery Adapter Cable)
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Several threads have discussions on, and are great resources of information on this topic.

Do a search on AB for some key words - suggestions...

"Resmed Battery Guide"
"Battery Backup "
"Power Outage"
"Camping"

And resulting in a tighter group of threads...
"Portable Power Station"
"Portable Power Station Explorer"

Lots of great information on what options you can choose from.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2020, 10:13 AM)RayBee Wrote: Several threads have discussions on, and are great resources of information on this topic.

Do a search on AB for some key words - suggestions...

"Resmed Battery Guide"
"Battery Backup "
"Power Outage"
"Camping"

And resulting in a tighter group of threads...
"Portable Power Station"
"Portable Power Station Explorer"

Lots of great information on what options you can choose from.

Thanks.  I did that last night with "power outage" and "battery backup" and "backup power", and found some good info.  But it seems others only have info about going without the humidifier.  (But I don't think I can tolerate that.)  Also, I get bogged down with words I really don't understand like watts, amps, volts, DC, AC, etc.  And I am hoping to find a solution that is just plug-and-play.  It makes me really nervous to have a car/boat battery next to my bed, with cords & clamps, and converters, etc.  I love the idea of a Jackery, but would really just like to know how many # it needs to be to run my machine all night.  (The thread reviewing the Jackery 160 said it lasted 2+ nights, but without a humidifier.  So I assume I need a higher # than 160.)

I'll check out the other threads with search words you mentioned that I hadn't thought of.  Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2020, 04:47 AM)Glen e Wrote: I believe Resmed and dream  station both make powerpacks for their units, or you can look for something that they use around campsites like this. It specifically mentions that it works well for CPAP Including humidifier/heaters.....Certainly many of these power packs will work fine for just one overnight.

[Commercial Link Removed] Search Amazon for, /MAXOAK-Airsense-Dreamstation-Transcend-Emergency

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----

Ah!  THAT looks like a good solution!  Thank you!  Last night I was checking out the CPAP suppliers and looking at their options of these, and just couldn't find one that had reviews or info saying it could last a night with the heater & humidifier.  But this one has reviews that lead me to think it would work!  Thank you for this.

I specifically liked that on Amazon there were several reviewers who listed their data for how long it lasted WITH their heater & humidifier going. It seems like it'll last a solid night, and then needs to be recharged in order to get another full night. That's fine with me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2020, 08:41 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your Dreamstation uses 12-volt power and requires no conversion of the power to make it work. You will need a 12-volt battery and a way to get the DC power into your machine.  Since you are in a hurry to get this done, a quick way to get the parts would be to go to a store like Batteries Plus where they sell many kinds of batteries and adapters.  I suggest looking at a ATV or car battery, than using various parts as adapters.  You need a plug that fits your CPAP (take your CPAP and cord so they can identify it).  One way is to use a cigarette lighter plug connected to the battery with the red and black clamps, and get a cord terminated with your CPAP power plug on one end and a cigarette lighter male adapter on the other.  To see an example that is available for sale very inexpensively search the term below. This may even be available at your DME or CPAP supplier locally. If you can source the part, then all you need is a battery an the battery clamps with lighter adapter.  The Resmed is 24 volts and needs a voltage converter that changes 12 volt power to 24, and we can discuss that later, but the fastest solution now is the Philips.

1120746 (DC Power Cord), 1120747 (DC Power Cord with Direct Connection Battery Adapter Cable)

Thanks, Sleeprider.  I appreciate this info, especially the difference between the DreamStation and ResMed - that's extremely helpful.  

I'm very apprehensive about bringing a car/boat/ATV battery into my bedroom and sleeping next to it.  But I like your idea of going to a Batteries Plus store and seeing what they might have.
Post Reply Post Reply
Using the 24 volt Resmed will really pull down your power source. In the summertime I usually use passover humidification--water in the tank but no heat. I had a portable unit that would run my Respironics for at least 2 nights this way. I wouldn't worry about a battery near you at night if it is a closed cell one. The small ones for electric wheelchairs and such are right by their users all the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2020, 10:46 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: Using the 24 volt Resmed will really pull down your power source.  In the summertime I usually use passover humidification--water in the tank but no heat.  I had a portable unit that would run my Respironics for at least 2 nights this way.  I wouldn't worry about a battery near you at night if it is a closed cell one.  The small ones for electric wheelchairs and such are right by their users all the  time.

That's very good to know. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding battery safety, Marine deep-cycle batteries are large but often use "absorbed glass mat" (AGM) or gel rather than a liquid acid. This means they can be operated in any position without any danger of spills or off-gassing. They are designed for supplying current over a long time and being recharged from a low-charge state without damage. We sleep with these batteries on our boat and safety is of course a very high priority. I'm fine with any solution that works for you, but want to emphasize that the fact the battery is bigger does not mean it has more risks. The MaxOak is an elegant design and includes the required voltage converter for the 24 watt Resmed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,790 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 229 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,408 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  AirSense 10. Power cable broke on air tube connecting ring. Ruhtra 1 405 11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,153 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  AirCurve power problem Shamus54 10 981 10-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Shamus54
  Resmed Airsense 11 blowing full power with no leaks bcodemz 2 870 10-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Last Post: bcodemz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.