Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Failed Sleep Study
RE: Failed Sleep Study
(06-14-2015, 09:07 PM)SleepyWabbit Wrote: I'm usually pretty calm and didn't have any major issues on either of my night studies. However, my wife needed a Valium when she went in for her MRI and I'm sure she would need something for a sleep study if she needed to go in for one.

Oh, I'd need a Valium for MRI also especially if not an "open air" version of the equipment. Way too sensitive to loud noises, and somewhat claustrophobic.

As for sleep labs, that's annoying but not nearly as frightening for me. My most recent sleep tech was annoyed with me because I always keep my Kindle with me in lieu of a book, and if I wake up, read a couple of screens to fall back asleep. That works to distract me from being annoyed that I'm awake and able to worry about global warming or other such insomnia-causing-thoughts.

The sleep tech told me I wasn't allowed to have the Kindle because the research says it interferes with sleep. Yep, found the study that proves that -- based on teenage subjects who were exposed to backlit screens for 4 hours before sleep! Mine usually falls from my hand after about 2 minutes and shuts itself off.

Anyhow, I'm now in the record as uncooperative. Grin

Just wish I'd known that I could maybe have had a home study. Medicare got charged $3,000 per night for the most uncomfortable nights I've had since sleeping on the floor at Chinese grad students' housing in 1989.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2015, 08:01 PM)ClarkK Wrote: I failed my titration study. After finding a mask I was comfortable with laying down and nodding off -- immediately had an apnea episode followed by a full out sit up and pull off the mask panic attack. I was unable to calm myself enough to put the mask back on and lay down to sleep -- so ended up signing myself out.

With no titration study to work from -- I requested and was given an Auto CPAP. I have been 100% compliant with it since day one -- so all ended well.

One of the benefits of a lab titration is reporting on 02 sats/desats during it. You might want to consider an overnight pulse oximeter testing/trial over at least three nights to determine if your sats are okay. My lab titration sats weren't okay until reached 12cm, though RDI was 0.0 as low as 9cm.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2015, 07:13 AM)AirSign Wrote: The sleep tech told me I wasn't allowed to have the Kindle because the research says it interferes with sleep. Yep, found the study that proves that -- based on teenage subjects who were exposed to backlit screens for 4 hours before sleep! Mine usually falls from my hand after about 2 minutes and shuts itself off.

Is your Kindle an e-ink reader or one of the Kindle Fires? I have a Fire that is back-lit just like a regular tablet. The newer Kindle e-readers are front lit so the light doesn't shine directly at you. The newer Kindle Voyage sounds interesting in that it is front lit and an adaptive light sensor that will detect the surrounding light and adjust accordingly. When reading in the dark, it will slowly dim the display as your eyes adjust to the darkness. Sounds interesting.

I still do most of my reading on my Note4. I use night mode when it's available (dark background with grey text) and have an app called "twilight" that will adjust the blue light emanating from the screen gradually with the setting of the sun. Similar to the study you found on back-lights, there have been studies that too much "Blue Light" emanating from LED lights and electronics inhibits the production of melatonin, which can effect your sleep cycle. The app gives my screen a reddish tint at night, but I have noticed it seems better on my eyes. Of course this could just be a placebo effect. Of course, if I could just put my phone down at night, I would be much better off. Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2015, 12:32 PM)SleepyWabbit Wrote:
(06-15-2015, 07:13 AM)AirSign Wrote: The sleep tech told me I wasn't allowed to have the Kindle because the research says it interferes with sleep. Yep, found the study that proves that -- based on teenage subjects who were exposed to backlit screens for 4 hours before sleep! Mine usually falls from my hand after about 2 minutes and shuts itself off.

Is your Kindle an e-ink reader or one of the Kindle Fires? I have a Fire that is back-lit just like a regular tablet. The newer Kindle e-readers are front lit so the light doesn't shine directly at you. The newer Kindle Voyage sounds interesting in that it is front lit and an adaptive light sensor that will detect the surrounding light and adjust accordingly. When reading in the dark, it will slowly dim the display as your eyes adjust to the darkness. Sounds interesting.

I still do most of my reading on my Note4. I use night mode when it's available (dark background with grey text) and have an app called "twilight" that will adjust the blue light emanating from the screen gradually with the setting of the sun. Similar to the study you found on back-lights, there have been studies that too much "Blue Light" emanating from LED lights and electronics inhibits the production of melatonin, which can effect your sleep cycle. The app gives my screen a reddish tint at night, but I have noticed it seems better on my eyes. Of course this could just be a placebo effect. Of course, if I could just put my phone down at night, I would be much better off. Grin

Yes, it's an e-ink reader -- a backlit paperwhite. Don't know if that's considered "blue light." The point is, I'm almost never reading for more than a few pages. Then I fall asleep. I try to make sure the kindle isn't where I'll roll over on it, but it could happen someday.

How in blazes is reading a few pages of a light novel on a kindle more disruptive than taking sleep medication for a study? Maybe I'm just dimmer than the light on my kindle.
Or is it because a doctor would approve the meds? Reading the kindle is just "uncooperative." Heh.

Post Reply Post Reply
What's uncooperative is your system's production of melatonin in the presence of light with a cool color temp, based on millions of years of evolution with cool light during the morning through afternoon, and warm light from there through the fireside we slept by (and later incandescense).

If you have trouble falling asleep, this can be a factor, but my best guess would be that a Kindle for a couple minutes would not be all that decisive one way or the other. Your tech had a different opinion. Go figure.

While all of us have a circadian rhythm that is somewhat governed by melatonin production, which is somewhat governed by light color temp, the fact that someone may be seeing blue light at the wrong time of day is only significant enough of a factor in some people to disrupt this process, not in all of us. Still, the tech could have just given you some melatonin to counteract that. Also, if your routine includes the Kindle before bed, he just disrupted that, meaning that might make it harder for you to fall asleep rather than eaiser.

Amazon should put an "f.lux" or twilight app feature directly into the Kindle OS, especially since it does not have an "app" install feature. If nothing else, it would make them look more tech-savvy, which is exactly what they want. It would also make that "adaptive" feature seem less like the photosensor on RCA televisions from the 60's, which did much the same thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't need melantonin. It's not my lizard brain that has trouble falling asleep. My Kindle use is a conscious decision to "feed" my brain with low-stress thoughts. Sometimes I've used White Chestnut flower essence to stop the hamster-treadmill-thinking process. Years ago I'd read a book, but it's too complicated to hold open a book with the PAP gear and my advancing age.

As for lux -- I have no idea what the color temp is for the paperwhite -- I do know I can change from white to off-white background, and can manually adjust the brightness. There's no glare -- my first Kindle had glare which is why I got the paperwhite version.

In any case, bottom line, it helps me fall asleep by pulling my attention away from the outdoor noises, the trains going by a few miles away, and even the sounds from the PAP equipment. I'm one of the 20% or so of the population whose primary sense is audio, not visual.

Perhaps meditation would work too, but can you imagine trying to sit in lotus position in a sleep lab? Especially if you just got up to use the loo?

Dielaughing

(06-15-2015, 08:21 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: What's uncooperative is your system's production of melatonin in the presence of light with a cool color temp, based on millions of years of evolution with cool light during the morning through afternoon, and warm light from there through the fireside we slept by (and later incandescense).

If you have trouble falling asleep, this can be a factor, but my best guess would be that a Kindle for a couple minutes would not be all that decisive one way or the other. Your tech had a different opinion. Go figure.

While all of us have a circadian rhythm that is somewhat governed by melatonin production, which is somewhat governed by light color temp, the fact that someone may be seeing blue light at the wrong time of day is only significant enough of a factor in some people to disrupt this process, not in all of us. Still, the tech could have just given you some melatonin to counteract that. Also, if your routine includes the Kindle before bed, he just disrupted that, meaning that might make it harder for you to fall asleep rather than eaiser.

Amazon should put an "f.lux" or twilight app feature directly into the Kindle OS, especially since it does not have an "app" install feature. If nothing else, it would make them look more tech-savvy, which is exactly what they want. It would also make that "adaptive" feature seem less like the photosensor on RCA televisions from the 60's, which did much the same thing.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 74 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.