Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Falling off the wagon, then slowly finding a way to get back on.
Falling off the wagon, then slowly finding a way to get back on.
I've been a CPAP user for around 8 months now, and until recently I thought I had adjusted to my new regimen fairly well. Then, around three weeks ago, the wheels started falling off.

First of all, I started waking up around 2:00 am, and couldn't get back to sleep. After a couple of nights like this, I just took the mask off and dozed fitfully until around 5 am or so.

Then I stopped being able to get even that far, not being able to fall asleep at all until I removed the equipment.

I'm a mouth breather, so I favor a full face mask, but had had some success using pillows and a chin strap and mouth tape. Tried that again, no joy.

I tried sleeping without using CPAP at all for a few nights, but felt so crappy in the morning I remembered why I decided to put up with it in the first place.

Finally, in desperation, I returned to my original mask, a ResMed Quattro FX, and replaced all the parts including the headgear. I removed the clutter from my room, made it dark, and turned off all of the LCD clocks I was using. Finally, last night, I was back to having a normal night with CPAP.

I don't know if this a normal occurrence for CPAP users, but in my case I just had try to get back to the mindset I had when I started CPAP, then just make it work.

I hope others, especially people new to this world of masks and hoses and machines might get some solace knowing that "old hands" at this have our problems too, but they can be overcome with a change in mindset, and possibly a refresh of equipment as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Falling off the wagon, then slowly finding a way to get back on.
Well, it's also a matter of "sleep hygiene" and that sounds like what happened in your case. Not that you're dirty but that something happened to make your sleep not as good as it should have been.

Google sleep hygiene and see if anything there can help you.

Waking up at 2am is a common thing even for folks who don't use a CPAP. It's a circadian rhythm thing and a mental thing. They've actually come out with some sleep medication that helps you sleep then kicks in at about that time to help you stay asleep. How it knows, no clue. Does it work? For some people, sure.

And it is also a wacky time of year. Sun's been gone for too long, weird weather, weird patterns, etc.

Glad you found something that is working for you. Keep it up.

And let us know if there's anything we can do to help you.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mdh235,
I'm glad you found ways to help you get back on CPAP and that you haven't given up on it.
good luck to you and hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Good reminder stuff for everyone MDH. Any of us could experience a time when we "fall off the wagon." But like many things in life, slipping up does not mean we failed. We just need to regroup and go again. Just as you have. Good job that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I still think the most reliable way would be to just "lie there quietly" until you fall asleep, always wearing the mask and eventually get tired and sleep must come.

That was my plan, and total commitment.

In my case it wasn't much necessary --- or maybe it was. I did that almost without moving during the titration study but never fell asleep.

There was an attempt to use the F & P Oracle which meant lying for hours until sleep finally came (then returning to the P10.)

Part of the trick is to relax, and accept that you are going to lie quietly and calmly without concern on whether you fall asleep or just rest. Both are good.

Count breaths, count sheep, get up if you wish, but keep the mask on ALL THE TIME.

Giving yourself outs, just encourages your mind and body to take the exit.

Your body will eventually be tired enough it will sleep -- and your unconscious mind will KNOW your commitment and ensure that sleep will come.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks MDH for sharing with us. It's good to know you fell off the wagon and were able to get straight back on again. I have only just climbed on my wagon and if and when the time comes when I have my first fall, I hope I will be as successful climbing aboard again as you have been. Good luck.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
mdh235
I can relate to your story. I've been CPAPing for over 3 years, 100% compliant, numbers as good as can get but last few months been having problem going back to sleep when waking up during the night. Usually stay up, put the kettle on for a cup of tea and browse the forum for a while. Most of the time go back to sleep afterwards for couple of hours and at times take an afternoon nap, not exactly sleep hygiene text book
I,ll be having a frank talk with the doctor tomorrow, will see what he got up his sleeve
I,ll disappointed if he is just going tell me about the numbers

Post Reply Post Reply
A point not mentioned is daytime activity and how this can relate to your sleep requirements.
I sometimes lay awake and don't sleep well, not because I didn't exhaust myself during the day but because I feel guilty because I didn't do what I should have done during the day, lol, I know, I'm crazy.........
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2014, 03:00 AM)comatose Wrote: A point not mentioned is daytime activity and how this can relate to your sleep requirements.
I sometimes lay awake and don't sleep well, not because I didn't exhaust myself during the day but because I feel guilty because I didn't do what I should have done during the day, lol, I know, I'm crazy.........

Nothing crazy about that - it used to happen to me for years. Not so much guilt but things I need to do at the office, or clients I need to face with some bad news. I'd typically wake up at 2 or 3 am and that was me done for the night.

Nowadays I take the attitude of "stuff it - tomorrow can look after itself. Right now I'm going back to sleep".
Post Reply Post Reply
It good to remember your not alone. We have all had some sort of episode in our adventure with CPAP. I have been on CPAP for over 8 years now and it is small comfort but sometime when I wake up and can't get back to sleep, I just lay there an rest. At least that is something. Good luck and thanks for sharing your very private experience with us.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,974 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 393 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 223 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 521 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 934 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 402 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.