Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

False Increase in Apneas with Respironics
False Increase in Apneas with Respironics
In April I started seeing a slow but steady increase in the number of apneas, particularly central, with my Philips Respironics Dreamstation.  I went from an AHI of around 2 on therapy to 10-22.... some nights showing up to 150 central apneas.  We suspect the machine's readings are bad (did another sleep study which showed only a few events).  I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue with their device.  Unfortunately with the recall, it's taking some time to get a replacement.   Note:  I recently started using the O2 Ring to get more insight, and it is showing very few instances of O2 drop throughout the night.... that reinforces my assumption that my device is likely reporting events in error.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: False Increase in Apneas with Respironics
To help we need data from Oscar. Downloaded fee from the top of the site
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you check your machine for disintegrating foam? Did you remove the foam? If there is loose foam it can block sensors. If the foam was removed and the chamber was not properly sealed and reassembled the sensors will not properly report your data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just think for a minute if the Centrals were real. I don't think oxygen levels drop as much with Centrals, unless there's quite a bit of them. So yes try an OSCAR shot.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!  I'll download Oscar and upload the data this week.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it depends Dave. I see plenty of desaturation with my centrals (depending on length, depth of sleep, etc). There's no specific reason why a central shouldn't drop your SpO2, after all - any time not spent breathing, your carbon dioxide levels are increasing and your oxygen is decreasing... it just depends how well-oxygenated your blood and tissues are to start with, how often the apneas are, and how long they last. When I'm in the early stages of sleep, my SpO2 might only drop a couple of percent because I've been breathing normally apart from those short 10-second lack-of-breaths. And if that's what you have all night, then that's maybe all you see. But they can absolutely cause much bigger desaturation.

It would be a little odd to see treatment-induced centrals after using the cpap for a while, but it could well be related if you've modified your CPAP to remove the foam, or something else isn't working right. Hopefully the chart will help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm thinking it's dependent on some variables. How many CA and how long per Central. Someone with full on trainwreck CA would have more desats than one with the "used to have some and now there's more" thing.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh yeah of course... I would imagine that a lot of the same factors would be true with obstructive events too, is what I mean. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
So which trainwreck looks more like what we're dealing with?

[Image: A9EFNUY.jpg]

[Image: QOAzJ8K.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Lindan - I haven't seen any evidence of degrading foam, and I haven't taken any action to address it (other than registering for the recall with Philips).  

The weird thing is the CAs didn't show up when I took the device (without humidifier) with me on a weeklong vacation, nor when we repeated my sleep study in the clinic.  But in both instances, once back home, they showed up again.  Could be a coincidence, but it's confusing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 601 8 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 4 90 Yesterday, 12:37 PM
  Cheynes stoke respiration, false flag or accurate? BDGold99 1 103 03-27-2024, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,074 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 864 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 307 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
  Real or False CAs? SingingWolf 3 288 03-14-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: apnea505

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.