Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

False Increase in Apneas with Respironics
RE: False Increase in Apneas with Respironics
I wouldn't have guessed that added humidification would cause a CO2 washout, but stranger things have happened.  Have you tried duplicating your findings while back home?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
All - appreciate the quick responses!! I've downloaded OSCAR and have a card reader coming. I'll upload the data tomorrow.

Note: I'll include o2 ring info too. Last night's data showed 26 desats, including one drop of 10% (97 to 87).
Post Reply Post Reply
@CrimsonNape - After I got back, I tried without the humidifier at home at first, but the AHI came back up.....so I put the humidifier back.

I just uploaded the data to OSCAR for the first time and the odd thing is that those days on the cruise when my AHI was low show my sleep consistently broken up into 58 minute segments.  Every night - and exactly 58 minutes.  I'm attaching a screenshot.  I wonder if the ship cycles their power to the outlets somehow.  I don't see any patterns like that any other time.  This whole thing confounds me!
 Oh-jeez
p.s. All, what do I upload from OSCAR for the broader question about central apneas?  Everything, screenshots, something inbetween, etc.?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Let's start with a Daily Standard view and go from there. You can get screenshots via the F12 button if on Windows.

It should display Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Leaks, Flow Limits, etc. Those first 5 are good to start.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Loading a few files from last night:
- OSCAR standard daily report - 2 pages
- Same report, but expanded to show pattern when first falling asleep....almost has a "rhythm" to it

If needed, I can provide the O2 report for the same period. It showed an average of 96 with a high of 99 and a low of 92, which occurred around 4 am when I experienced the most CAs.

Ignore the leak rate data....not sure what happened there....it appears to have added the data in twice - and added some to it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Events fall into trainwreck this time. Those labeled Hypopnea or Obstructive, not an issue by themselves. Centrals, yes trainwreck is a good description.

Your leaks aren't as bad as it first seems. Respironics gives you 2 leak trace lines, the upper one is total leaks, lower one is unintentional as in mask or mouth leaks. So looking at the lower line, it's not terrible.

So every few breaths you're getting a Central. It's almost like you're a car's 4 cylinder engine and you have a bad number 1 cylinder. X number of breath cycles then clunk, a misfire. Have you had your camshaft replaced yet?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ha! B Dielaughing
The confusing thing is they couldn't replicate this in a sleep study.  My AHI was less than 2 in the clinic. Even so, my sleep doc is trying to get me approved for an ASV. 

Ps - I've previously had a cardiac arrest (arrhythmia based - not a heart attack), so I get a little paranoid when it comes to my health.  No diagnosis for that, but it's what led us to discover my apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, someone working to get you ASV is quite the opposite of what lots deal with. Myself, I had to fight, make the doc see why it's necessary. That's more typical. Regardless, best to your success in getting one. Consider doing yourself a favor and request the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV. I had it myself and it'll take all Apnea and beat them to submission with little fuss.

You may be told that you're subjecting yourself to serious health risk by wanting ASV due to a flawed study called SERVE-HF. Again note I said flawed. It incorrectly concluded ASV causes heart failure risk increase. Due to that you will need to undergo an echocardiogram, but you may have the test data already with your heart attack on record. You're looking for the data on LVEF percentage. 45% or higher is what you want to get approval to continue towards ASV.

I had a diagnosis of COPD and CA and more recently a heart condition called PVC. PVC in this usage is Premature Ventricular Contraction, sometimes my left ventricle starts marching to its own beat. My LVEF in 2017 was 55%, during a new cardiac full exam with a chemical stress test and echocardiogram about 2 years ago, LVEF was 63% with PVC being diagnosed. The point is I think you're more at risk not to get ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dave.... very helpful.  I do have a recent echo on file (LVEF 50%).  I don't yet have an answer on the ASV, but I feel my cardiac history has my doc in my corner. At least she's trying.  However, everything is delayed because the Philips recall is putting pressure on supply generally.  So we wait for now. 

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input.  This is an area of healthcare where I'm finding transparency is a bit lacking/challenging.  This community is amazing and I'm grateful for all you've shared.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 601 8 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 4 90 Yesterday, 12:37 PM
  Cheynes stoke respiration, false flag or accurate? BDGold99 1 103 03-27-2024, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,073 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 864 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 307 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
  Real or False CAs? SingingWolf 3 288 03-14-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: apnea505

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.