Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

False Positive on CA while Awake
RE: False Positive on CA while Awake
Gideon,  

Thank you for the analysis.  If I understand flow limit correctly, it measures once ability to breath & people with asthma, COPD, allergy, stuffy nose, deviated septum all may suffer from this.  

I have a terrible time sleeping with nasal pillow if my nose is even partially stuff on even one nostril. 
My daily practice:
1. Wash my face, eyes, (nostril with saline nose spray) every time I come back home, to minimize exposure to pollens & dust.
2. Use corticoid steroid (Flonase, Nasalide) before going to bed (as needed, to avoid overuse)
3. Do not eat after early dinner. Go to bed with full stomach is bad for breathing.  
4. Eat high fiber,  low fat diet;
5. regular exercise 
6. Suffer from dry mouth, dry eyes from CPAP...drink water, use eyedrops, wash nostril with saline spray every time I wake up to go to bathroom. Often time, wake up with loud ring in eyes (24 hr tinnitus) due to cpap high pressure maybe...not much you can do.

My APAP setting currently is EPR 3;  7.8 min  11.0 max  Humidity 2   85F  (go to Hum 3 in winter)  change to single pillow (I am back sleeper)     Can't think of anything else to tweak....schedule to see new pulmonary doctor 7/13.

Welcome any suggestions!
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't worry about CA but about (presumably) heavy, non detected flow limitations from 22:30 to 23:50 and 3:40 to 5:00. They are falsely counted as respiration and reported as insanely high respiration rate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Multicast,

about (presumably) heavy, non detected flow limitations from 22:30 to 23:50 and 3:40 to 5:00. They are falsely counted as respiration and reported as insanely high respiration rate

What do you mean by "non-detected flow limitations and falsely counted as respiration and reported as insanely high respiration rate?"

Does Resp.Rate and minute Vent. help to support what you are saying? I added Resp.rate and Minute Vent. to the attached. What is significance of these data? 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It's possible that the Resp Rate calculation is based on zero crossings rather that the number of peaks or valleys per minute. The only way to tell for sure is to zoom further in, from 3:41:20 to 3:42:20, and also set the Y-axis to +/- 50, and finally turn on the zero red line. These can be set by menu(left) clicking beside the left edge of the graph.

With that amount of zoom we can easily tell if you are do fast shallow breathing or simply bouncing around the zero line during your exhale phase.

As for the significance, your Minute Vent - the total volume in and out - stayed pretty much the same, so your oxygen levels probably did not change much. Slower deep breaths are more relaxing, however.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pholynyk,    I think I did what you suggested. See attached. Your analysis?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
That's waht I had in mind.

In the first 8 or 10 breaths after the CA, you can see how the exhale kind of trails off and bumps over and under the zero line before you start to inhale. That's the kind of thing that confuses a zero-crossing counter. It doesn't seem to be happening here, though.

After that we get to the curious part. I judge it to be shallow rapid panting, and I have no idea why it started or how any machine settings could reduce it. Normal breathing is deeper and slower, so it may be due to excitement or anxiety. I have no idea.

And now to bed.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheynes stoke respiration, false flag or accurate? BDGold99 1 104 03-27-2024, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  anyone with positive apnea reduction using emf shielding over bed? Pierelly 7 250 03-21-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Real or False CAs? SingingWolf 3 288 03-14-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 675 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  False CA's? rltarbu 3 257 02-12-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  are these centrals or false alarms? AZAwake 4 410 02-02-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: SingingWolf
  [Health] AWAKE AHI? newtothis1 12 726 01-04-2024, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.