Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oral Appliance Therapy {OAT}
RE: Oral Appliance Therapy {OAT}

Thanks Paula, I just started another thread but your reply here answered some of my questions already! Indeed I will submit all payments to my insurance company - I am self-employed so my deductible is very high in order to keep my premiums down.

I will check supplier number 2, thanks....I also found a supplier who sells the one I used, the Fisher-Paykel Icon, for about 1/4th the price of what the sleep clinic wanted!

I will surely have some more questions, thanks to all for the help, I know all of us rookies surely like hearing from all the veterans.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am not sure how you could judge the effectiveness of the OAT without another sleep study. Feeling better is one test, but not the best test. I suppose you could wear a pulse Ox to bed and check it's overnight recordings to see if there is enough of an improvement to warrent not getting a CPAP or AutoPAP machine. Alternatively, if you think OAT was working by the feel test, you could rent an APAP machine and check your AHI readings, (set to a minimum pressure range), while wearing the OAT, and see what your AHI is doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have the oral device and a data-capable CPAP machine you could set the machine at 4 cm of pressure (the lowest possible setting) and look at your AHI.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had an oral device. It sort of worked, but I had to move on to CPAP/APAP due to some problem with the joints of my jaw. I still have it though, to be used in a case of a power outage or camping trip.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,072 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 168 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,359 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 966 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.