Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fatigue! Normal or No?
Fatigue! Normal or No?
Hi Everyone! I am wondering a few things. I got my cpap machine on Thursday. I was told by numerous people that I would see results right away. Not that I am impatient but are there people who benefit from it right away and others take a longer time?

I have anxiety so it is hard to adapt to the mask but it is getting better. The first night I must have taken the mask off and I remember the 2nd night getting up and taking it off and going back to sleep. With the cpap I have noticed I haven't waken up too much to use the bathroom, which is good. But....... I am waking up exhausted and sometimes I fall back asleep. If I do not fall back asleep I easily nap half way through the day. My poor husband and kids are frustrated with me.

Is this fatigue common? Shouldn't I be way more rested? Sort of frustrated as I am less tired without the machine. One of the main reasons I am trying the cpap is, I am really hoping that my concentration throughout the day gets better. Any advice? Any comments? This is not a cheap therapy option as I have a high deductible through my insurance. Encouraging words welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fatigue! Normal or No?
They said there are results you'd see right away? I wish that had been so for me and everyone else. If that were always so, then there would never be a problem with people adjusting to CPAP, since it'd be so immediately rewarding, and not much reason to visit this board.

Instead, most of us feel some anxiety/don't like having to have a machine hum away to improve our health/have difficulty falling back asleep if we wake in the middle of the night/etc. Most of us have been right there with you. Some do fine early on, some have to really persevere - but sooner or later I'd expect your CPAP will do you unmistakable good.

Improvements in fatigue do result right away or nearly so for a few lucky folks, within a couple of weeks for others, months for still others. I'm probably in the last group. But it is making a difference, even for me.

As has been suggested elsewhere, the most immediate evidence generally noticed is a reduction in trips to the bathroom during the night. When you're sleeping more soundly, they'll be reduced, and you'll know things are starting to work for you. It sounds like you're already on your way.

The rest takes time and patience - and support. The support can be found at this board; it made a huge difference for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sleepymomma,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take some time to get used to. Some people take to it right away and yet, it takes others a while.
Hang in there for more suggestions and just keep on sticking with it, it will get better.
Best of luck to you as you continue your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Its not that simple, no magic pill here, just hard work and perseverance
It takes time to get the results but its worth it and much rosier than the alternative

Here is a wiki, you might find useful readings and gives you some ideas: Tips for new CPAP users
There are many tips for new CPAP users that can make a difference when starting on CPAP therapy
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2014, 06:59 PM)sleepymomma Wrote: Hi Everyone! I am wondering a few things. I got my cpap machine on Thursday. I was told by numerous people that I would see results right away.

I wished that, too. For some people it does happen that way, but for most of us it didn't.

Quote:Not that I am impatient but are there people who benefit from it right away and others take a longer time?

Yes, that's very much the case with CPAP therapy.

Quote:I have anxiety so it is hard to adapt to the mask but it is getting better. The first night I must have taken the mask off and I remember the 2nd night getting up and taking it off and going back to sleep.

Anxiety is one of the symptoms of sleep apnea, so you can expect some relief from that affliction, too.

See? Good news already!

Adapting to the mask is the first step. Until that happens you may find yourself getting less sleep, not more. And you may find yourself even more sleepy during the day, not less.

You can overcome this but only if you commit to wearing the mask every time you sleep, all the time you're asleep.

Look at it this way. Your body has to make two adjustments. First, it's used to having to wake you up every few minutes to breathe, so it has to learn to stop doing that. Second, it has to get used to sleeping with a mask attached to your face that's delivering a hose full of pressurized air.

The only way for it to make these two adjustments is if you are diligent about always sleeping with the mask on.

The fight is worth it. You'll enjoy a higher quality of life and you'll lower your risk of dying early from a heart attack or stroke. You are fighting for your life, so don't give up.

Once you get adjusted sleeping with your CPAP machine will be like sleeping with your favorite pillow.

By the way, which one of the ResMed S9 machines do you have? It'll help us help you if we know.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board.

Please tell us which S9 machine you have. It should say something next to the power button. Tell us what it says.

Sometimes, even if everything is "right," you may feel tired for a while after starting CPAP. Some people call it "sleep debt." Experts say there is no such thing, but many people feel symptoms that act like sleep debt. Maybe it's just your body readjusting to not being strangled and getting disturbed sleep and stress all night long.

It usually goes away over time if your CPAP is working to eliminate your apnea.

You might also be having some sort of problems where the CPAP isn't fixing your apnea. If you got the right CPAP machine, it will record your breathing every night and you can check to see if it's working.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
"They say ..."

It's been my experience that the "theys" who tell new PAPers that they'll feel better immediately have never used a PAP themselves and have no idea what it's like to have to teach yourself how to sleep with a six foot hose attached to your nose.

A rare few people do start to feel better in a week or two. Most people find it takes several weeks to a couple of months before they start feeling better. Some people take a lot longer---they don't start feeling any better until they've been paping for 4-6 months (or more). And a few unlucky people never feel much better in spite of using PAP all night long, every night.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2014, 06:59 PM)sleepymomma Wrote: Hi Everyone! I am wondering a few things. I got my cpap machine on Thursday. I was told by numerous people that I would see results right away. Not that I am impatient but are there people who benefit from it right away and others take a longer time?

I wish it was right away. I just hit my one year anniversary as a hose-head and I still have some sleepiness during the day.
=> but <= I feel more refreshed when I get up. I take my victories where I can :-)
Be patient. You have a lot of years of lousy sleep to undo. I can take a while.
Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
Post Reply Post Reply
it basically took me a week and a half to get used to the mask, but i did notice feeling better (not perfect) right away. to feel "normal" id say it took a month or two. Now i have bad nights of course but typically speaking, most are good or much improved at the very least.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!Welcome

This is often not an easy journey (wish I could tell you it is). But what I know for sure is that is does get easier. Please hang in there and don't give up.

Before you know it, you will be feeling better, waking up refreshed and with a better sense of alertness. You will be glad you did. We are all rooting for you and here for any support you need! Grouphug3

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 13 26 minutes ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 211 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 418 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 253 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  [Treatment] Low AHI but dizziness and fatigue with spikes of low O2 levels John94 8 1,108 01-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: PamVT41
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 19 1,695 11-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: PunchIt
  Low AHI still having extreme fatigue exchanged 2 586 11-15-2023, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.