Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fatigue from sleep apnea.
RE: Fatigue from sleep apnea.
(04-23-2012, 09:53 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It's understandable that our bodies kinda freak and can create more events in the first few days.

The air is doing "nothing more" than keeping the throat open via pressure. And our muscles are stronger than the air pressure.

The muscles of the throat are actually voluntary, meaning we are in control of them. We fall asleep and like every other voluntary muscles, they relax. If they can relax in our sleep, they can also tense up.

After a while though, perhaps only a few days, everything begins to calm down. We "remember" in our sleep what the pressure is and no longer resist it.

It is the same reason why higher pressure can cause central events. Our poor brains are rather confused and decide breathing isn't necessary. We have to slowly increase the pressure (if higher is needed) until the brain gets acclimatized.

You will find there's a lot of theories floating around here. Not that we are all big huge liars nor great story tellers. We're the people who live with these machines and masks and all the fun that comes along with it. We are each our own research facility, coming to conclusions based on our own individual experiences. Then we come here and share those experiences and discover we aren't the only ones having them.

Well said!
Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2013, 12:46 PM)RonWessels Wrote: I'm confused. By definition, sleep apnea is the cessation (or "significant" reduction) of breathing while sleeping. How can monitoring the breathing airflow not be sensitive enough to detect sleep apnea? What other mechanism is in play here?

(08-01-2013, 09:55 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I can't understand this, either. Arousals and desats would still be detected in a normal sleep study. If there are no desats and no arousals then I don't see how the condition could have an adverse effect on your health or in how rested you feel.

From my own experience, the esophageal pressure sensor sounds like diagnostics for GERD (gastro-esophogeal reflux disorder.) It would actually be handy to apply this data during a sleep study because GERD does cause sleep arousal. For diagnostic purposes it is better to know all sources of arousal so as not to confuse with apnea or pressure related disturbances. For example, when fine tuning the titration, it is important to know whether an arousal was triggered by GERD or by too much pressure. Often, there is a fine line between the right pressure to stop apnea and the pressure level which may be causing arousals. GERD related arousal may confound the entire procedure.

Alternatively, for some people who continue to be sleepy when treated with CPAP, it is possible that GERD or other disorders (including CPAP treatment) may be responsible. It may be impossible to diagnose and so a sleep therapist may well say the ongoing sleepiness is "just you."

Just my two cents worth! (Pennies are no longer tender in Canada, so I will make that 5 cents!) My sleep doc told me he would prefer to use the esophageal pressure sensor during a sleep study, but would not be able to get funding to cover the cost. It is no small matter to place a sensor through the nose and down the esophagus! Vomit
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2013, 02:01 AM)HeadGear Wrote: From my own experience, the esophageal pressure sensor sounds like diagnostics for GERD (gastro-esophogeal reflux disorder.) It would actually be handy to apply this data during a sleep study because GERD does cause sleep arousal.

Good points. Also, I have noticed from my own symptoms and others' that CPAP therapy reduces GERD symptoms.

Quote:Just my two cents worth! (Pennies are no longer tender in Canada, so I will make that 5 cents!)

Not sure if you refer to your five-cent piece as a nickel, but if you do I guess the phrase could be modified to "my two-fifths of a nickel's worth".

Doesn't really have a good ring to it so I guess it won't catch on. Bigwink

I wish we could eliminate both the penny and the nickel so that all prices have only one digit after the decimal instead of two. The dollar bill needs to go too, replaced by a coin.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on CPAP about two months now. My wife immediately noticed my mood had turned more positive. I still want to take a nap (anywhere from 15-45 minutes) around lunch time but I get the feeling that it's an old habit that an actual "need" now. I still wake up at least once most nights, but usually go right back to sleep, whereas before CPAP I would sometimes toss and turn for hours.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2013, 09:27 AM)Sleepster Wrote: wish we could eliminate both the penny and the nickel so that all prices have only one digit after the decimal instead of two. The dollar bill needs to go too, replaced by a coin.
No more paper for $1 and $2 for us. A pocket full of "loonies" and "toonies" requires sturdy belt or suspenders! Even 'though the penny is gone, electronic transaction are to the exact cent. Only cash is rounded up or down. So the silly pricing, like $1.99 still persists.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2013, 11:52 AM)HeadGear Wrote:
(08-02-2013, 09:27 AM)Sleepster Wrote: wish we could eliminate both the penny and the nickel so that all prices have only one digit after the decimal instead of two. The dollar bill needs to go too, replaced by a coin.
No more paper for $1 and $2 for us. A pocket full of "loonies" and "toonies" requires sturdy belt or suspenders! Even 'though the penny is gone, electronic transaction are to the exact cent. Only cash is rounded up or down. So the silly pricing, like $1.99 still persists.

How did they eliminate the penny without incurring cost to each and every citizen? I am just thinking about everything I purchase in a year... rounded up to the nearest $0.05.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2013, 12:22 PM)Paptillian Wrote: How did they eliminate the penny without incurring cost to each and every citizen? I am just thinking about everything I purchase in a year... rounded up to the nearest $0.05.

I surmise it averages out, as much gain as loss. For example, with sales tax added, a 99 cent purchase is $1.11 and you gain a penny in the rounding down. It is the same way with multiple items added together. Your about as likely to round down as up. Bottom line was that pennies cost more to produce then they were worth!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2013, 09:27 AM)Sleepster Wrote: I wish we could eliminate both the penny and the nickel so that all prices have only one digit after the decimal instead of two. The dollar bill needs to go too, replaced by a coin.

I'll have to agree with that. Even back in the early 70's when I was in elementary school, people were complaining about pennies--and with inflation, today's nickel is worth what a penny was worth then.

There's one big problem with that, though. You would also have to get rid of the quarter, and introduce new 20 cent and 50 cent coins. I can only imagine how unpopular that would be.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2013, 12:22 PM)Paptillian Wrote: How did they eliminate the penny without incurring cost to each and every citizen? I am just thinking about everything I purchase in a year... rounded up to the nearest $0.05.

That's just a bump in the road. Visible only by looking in the rear view mirror.

Inflation and competition would simply diminish that effect almost instantaneously. Although I'm sure some made a tidy profit for a few days there.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Close. Rounded _to_ the nearest $0.05 after tax is added. So $1.02 gets paid as $1.00, but $1.03 gets paid as $1.05. On average, it should be neutral, although you could win (small amounts) if you pay all rounded-up transactions by credit card to save the extra penny or two, and pay all rounded-down transactions by cash to save the extra penny or two.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 215 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 284 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 547 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.