Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Favorite nasal headgear/cushions/pillows for a 100% side sleeper?
Favorite nasal headgear/cushions/pillows for a 100% side sleeper?
Seeking some guidance on experiences switching to a nasal pillow setup. My nostrils are relatively small, particularly on the left. Hoping the pillows will keep nasal passages more open by blowing directly into the nostrils with pillows. My current F30i mask is great, but invariably the nasal portion of the cushion pinches my left nostril nearly closed. This is despite having tried every size cushion available for F30i -including the small-wide (SW) cushion, plus making the usual strap adjustments so that the mask is not too tight for the cushion to inflate properly. I'm a 100% side sleeper, and I'm concerned that nasal setups are generally more conducive to back sleepers with/without elevation. Any ideas?
MacBookPro 13, Big Sur, Windows 10 (Parallels 16), FlashAir 16GB W-04,
Contec CMS50F Pulse Oximeter
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Favorite nasal headgear/cushions/pillows for a 100% side sleeper?
Resmed Airfit P10. Get the starter set with S, M and L size cushions. Most people use a larger size than they think. I move side to side and on my back. Just make sure the tube can move with you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed p39i. Tube at the top of headgear. Extremely comfortable. I had them of a number of months and always seep on my side. I had to go to a full face mask because of mouth breathing. It is an excellent mask. You can see member’s reviews on that part of this site.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2020, 09:54 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Resmed Airfit P10. Get the starter set with S, M and L size cushions.  Most people use a larger size than they think. I move side to side and on my back. Just make sure the tube can move with you.

+1

But the P10 causes occasional sores just inside my nostrils and, to help that heal up I use a Respironics Nuance for a night or two. It also helps if I use a lubricant - usually just plain cheap peteroleum jelly. I am also a side sleeper (more or less). I sleep on my back a bit, but mostly on my sides. But 'on my sides' means about 45%, because following a disastrous fracture of both arms, I can no longer go all the way to 90%.

Don't be afraid to give different masks a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
The bleep sleep stick on nasal mask may also work I love the no mask movement leaks I get from it but I also like the p10 or the p30i
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried 3 or 4 diff masks with my sleep tech when I started. I’m a 100% side sleeper, and the Phillips dreamwear nasal cushion felt the best. Important to fit the right cushion, it comes with 4 diff sizes.I get no mask leak at all.
Glen in Ft Lauderdale

Post Reply Post Reply
side sleeper, using p10 for 4 years w buckwheat pillow & soft cervical collar for 3 years. pressure failed to clear congestion only once. few mask leaks; mostly lip leaks which collar helps reduce. buckwheat pillow is easy to hang face & mask off & easily conformable to accommodate headgear. hanging the hose above the bed minimizes mask pulling.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also use the Dreamwear and having the right head pillow completes the equation.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2020, 02:03 PM)sheepless Wrote: side sleeper, using p10 for 4 years w buckwheat pillow & soft cervical collar for 3 years. pressure failed to clear congestion only once. few mask leaks; mostly lip leaks which collar helps reduce. buckwheat pillow is easy to hang face & mask off & easily conformable to accommodate headgear. hanging the hose above the bed minimizes mask pulling.

My main point Bobaloo: As a side sleeping mouth breather, the P10 is "my" best and most constant mask, bleep is second. 

As a 100% sidesleeper for about 2 years, it's the same story for me as sheepless on all but two points. I had to add add two devices, three counting a safety device I came to use that turns out to help with hose management so I keep it. One device prevents turning over in sleep and stops supine sleep, the other seals lips (the latter is a Silipos Gel-E-Roll piece with improvised retainer device). When I first started sealing lips, as is necessary for untrainable mouth-breather P10 users, I took seriously the advice it was unsafe (unsafe like mouth taping--debatable IMO now). For safety I inserted a 10 in. hose (a rejected mask's fem-fem hose) and an anti-asphyxiation-valve elbow (taken from a ResMed F10 FFM with its "roughly male hose like" male-snap-in fitting and an actual male hose connector) between my P10's hose and my long Climateline hose. 

Hose management: As a forced side sleeper, my hose positioning is ideal for me. The long mostly horizontal hose to the VAuto lies against the headboard after emerging (from its parallel run behind the headboard) from where it is held (about 10 inches up from the mattress and about where my head is centered).  The elbow and 10 inch hose, always affixed at a right angle to the long Climateline hose, lie flat on the mattress and make it easy to always have a tension free hose connection to the mask, whether sleeping on right or left side. On either side I can rotate and shift enough, even all night as I sometimes do, within about a 30-55 degree range beyond supine. The catch is that I do stay on one side (but shifting within the given range) all night long unless I get up to pee and then change sides. Then the long hose easily bends a U-turn to descend the same 10 inches and lie along the headboard and on the mattress in the other direction. I have zero hose issues with tugging or anything (until nights are cold and rain out has to be prevented). 

I write this because I know that as lurkers here some of us begin, as I did and continue, looking for ideas how to solve our particular problem. One of these mask-choice related ideas may help someone among the many dealing with and researching mask, mouth breathing and hose issues.
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2020, 04:00 AM)2SleepBetta Wrote: As a 100% sidesleeper for about 2 years, it's the same story for me as sheepless on all but two points. I had to add add two devices, three counting a safety device I came to use that turns out to help with hose management so I keep it. One device prevents turning over in sleep and stops supine sleep, the other seals lips (the latter is a Silipos Gel-E-Roll piece with improvised retainer device).

What is the device that you are using that prevents turning over in your sleep and stops supine sleep?
MacBookPro 13, Big Sur, Windows 10 (Parallels 16), FlashAir 16GB W-04,
Contec CMS50F Pulse Oximeter
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 409 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 258 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.