Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fear of Suffocation
RE: Fear of Suffocation
With the S9 escape, you cannot retrieve any useful data from the machine to monitor your treatment progress with the free software out there. If possible, please exchange the unit to either the Elite or Autoset model which are both data-capable machine. We are very interested in seeing how much better you are going to get with the CPAP therapy and dont give up!
Post Reply Post Reply
Try taking a nap during the day. Or lay down in bed with it on to acclimatize.

And if you have not had the machine for long, push to get another one. The Escape, like others have said, is a blank machine. No recording of data except for hours used.

Avoid any ResMed with 'Escape' in the name and any Phillips-Respironics with the word "Plus" in the name.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The Escape isn't a good machine? Oh dear I have an appt tomorrow to see how I'm doing, and they asked me to bring the machine, it has a SD card in it, I thought it recorded leakage and usage etc..

I slept for 5.5 hours last night, with my relaxation music, I woke up once, and started the music again, and I was fine, I hope I keep it up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cleome, I dont think it means your machine is *bad*.
The Autoset collects a rich set of data each night so you can tell what is happening.
what the folks here mean is that if you can get an Autoset model you can get all your own data off it and more people here will be able to help you adapt better and faster.

Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, all they want to see is the usage hours, what they call "compliance".

As a CPAP, the Escape works, but you have no way of knowing how well it is working other than how you feel. Yes, you could get an oximeter but that's not going to help much. You'll know your blood O2 is dropping but not why or even if it was due to an event.

If you tell them you want a data capable machine, they'll probably tell you the information is useless to you as a patient and only the doctor or them can interpret. That would be false. They will probably tell you there's no way you can even view the data. That would be false, too. It would be on the screen as well as there are two software programs you can use to view it.

But, if you are more comfortable not keeping track of everything, then stick with what you have. And if you would prefer more control, then insist on another.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
yes the Escape is bad and all same basic machines are bad too and should be banned
and any DME who flog these types of machines to unsuspected sleep deprived ought to have their license revoked or/and sent to the Gulags

cpap is a medical equipment not just a blower
data is very useful tool and necessary part of the treatment
not some bells and whistle or optional extra

Post Reply Post Reply
If there are better machines available then why don't they give them out? My insurance is paying for it and I have a high end insurance. Being new to this I don't know all of the aspects. My appointment to review the progress was pushed back 2 weeks, we had a blizzard here and was without power for a few days, and I also have a severely stuffed up nose right now that had gotten worse throughout the day.

The sleep center said I have to be within "70%" compliance, which means they probably will check how much use my machine has on the SIM card.

When I go in I am going to ask if I can have the Elite or the Autoset...

Why not right? It won't hurt to ask!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2013, 02:37 PM)Cleome Wrote: The Escape isn't a good machine? Oh dear I have an appt tomorrow to see how I'm doing, and they asked me to bring the machine, it has a SD card in it, I thought it recorded leakage and usage etc..

I slept for 5.5 hours last night, with my relaxation music, I woke up once, and started the music again, and I was fine, I hope I keep it up.

Not only can YOU not monitor your therapy, neither the DME NOR YOUR DOCTOR can tell ANYTHING about how well your therapy is going, other than when you turned it on and off and what the pressure settings are.

No record of leak data
No record of how many apneas you have etc.

They only collect enough data to get the insurance to pay. That's why it's called "compliance" data. They get paid the same for any CPAP machine, so they're willing to screw you with a less capable machine for a few bucks.

With an S9 Elite or AutoSet, you'll have a record of every breath you take, every apnea, plus an "AHI" number that gives you a good idea if it's working. For instance, AHI less than 5 is "good." AHI greater than 5 is "bad."

In my opinion, using a dataless CPAP is like treating a diabetic without monitoring blood sugar except during a yearly in-lab test. You need to monitor your therapy in the home while you're getting CPAP therapy.

With a data capable machine, you or your doctor can see graphs like the one below. With a dataless CPAP machine, you get nothing like that.

[Image: 318873.jpg]
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well the more I hear about this I want the better machine. There doesn't seem to bea such a great price differnce so why don't they just go with the best.

I have been on the Resmed site and have been looking at the differences in the machines. The Escape is listed as "Economy" and the Elite is listed as "Superior"

The Elite is stated as having". Designed for a more natural breathing experience"

Thay sounds good to me. Does anyone think that the Elite will make it easier for me to exhale? It seems as if I concentrate a lot on exhaling, and if the Elite makes it easier, then I want it, and also i will be able to see how my treatment is going!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2013, 07:45 PM)Cleome Wrote: Does anyone think that the Elite will make it easier for me to exhale?
all the S9 series machines comes with EPR even the Escape have that feature too

some find hard to exhale at full pressure which is normal to feel that way at first
and breathing out at lower pressure more comfortable

I started out with EPR and Ramp but after a while as get used to pressure,
turned them off and prefer to start at full pressure but everyone is different

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Help understand what caused suffocation feeling AlamedaBeachBum 6 1,211 01-09-2022, 10:29 PM
Last Post: AlamedaBeachBum
  Dreamwear Cushion - Suffocation Feeling Dedwin0927 6 1,332 06-30-2020, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Dedwin0927
  New CPAP User Having Anxiety Insomnia Fear of Sleep Apneas Achilles76 7 1,175 06-10-2020, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Woken by feeling of Suffocation subyroo 8 1,397 12-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  [CPAP] fear mousetrap351 4 1,002 09-22-2019, 12:40 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  [CPAP] Any advice for a new cpap user who has a fear of things covering her face. Kbowie78 11 3,718 07-25-2016, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Dramagal27
  Rough Night on Titration - When Does the Suffocation feeling go away? linn 13 4,020 11-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Last Post: linn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.