Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feature request for Mac [OSCAR installation]
RE: Feature request for Mac [OSCAR installation]
(12-19-2019, 12:50 PM)Osiris357 Wrote: My downloads go into the download folder. I clicked on that to install Oscar.......

In the case of OSCAR....
Double clicking the dmg file you downloaded does not install OSCAR.  It merely opens a Finder window showing you the OSCAR.app that is contained inside.  Then you would need to drag the OSCAR.app to your /Applications folder.  It should look something like this after you drag OSCAR.app to Applications:

When you get a chance, post a screenshot of your Finder window. Try to include all of the left panel as well as anything that says OSCAR in the main window...
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will do
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm.  I always delete (move to trash) .dmg icons after I install the applications/programs.  If I didn't I'd have zillions of them all over my computer and they are not needed unless you want to install the application/program again.  If I do need to install an/application/program again, I download the most recent .dmg file.  Also, if I didn't delete those icons they show up in searches for what I really need from the particular application/program and it confuses things.

Now, I do have an icon that looks similar to the .dmg icon for OSCAR.  It is this one and I'm pretty sure it goes away when my SD card is removed from my computer AND I close the OSCAR program:

[attachment=18228]

But I will double check tonight when I'm done.
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
Plmnb, that looks like the typical icon for a removable drive. Or in this case the OSCAR dmg file while it's mounted. If you right click on it and select "Get Info" a window will open giving you the details of the file. Look towards the top of that window. If you see "Disk Image" it means it's the dmg file. If it says "Application" then it is the OSCAR.app

Like you, I always delete the dmg files (or store them on an external drive) to save space on my laptop. Good housekeeping so to speak! Smile
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2019, 08:46 PM)Jeff8356 Wrote: Plmnb, that looks like the typical icon for a removable drive.  Or in this case the OSCAR dmg file while it's mounted.  If you right click on it and select "Get Info" a window will open giving you the details of the file.  Look towards the top of that window.  If you see "Disk Image" it means it's the dmg file.  If it says "Application" then it is the OSCAR.app

Like you, I always delete the dmg files (or store them on an external drive) to save space on my laptop.  Good housekeeping so to speak! Smile
Hi Jeff8356,

When I get the info it shows this:

[attachment=18231]

It doesn't say DISK IMAGE or APPLICATION.  What would it be then? Unsure

Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
Plmnb, that looks like your memory card attached to your laptop via your SD card reader. If you look closely at your screenshot you will see a heading saying "MS-DOS (FAT32)" which is typical for a cross-platform SD card. Meaning it can be read from Windows, Mac, & Linux. That, and it's 4 GB storage capacity. Way too big to be the OSCAR dmg, and way too small to be your laptops hard drive

Quick question.... When you remove your SD card from the card reader, do you "Eject" it first? Or just pull the card out? If you right click on the drive symbol there should be an option to "Eject". In your case it should say: Eject "OSCAR". It's always safest to Eject the card first. Smile
Not sure how it got the name OSCAR, unless you renamed it maybe???
Jeff8356

How to Links:
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2019, 10:26 PM)Jeff8356 Wrote: Plmnb, that looks like your memory card attached to your laptop via your SD card reader.  If you look closely at your screenshot you will see a heading saying "MS-DOS (FAT32)" which is typical for a cross-platform SD card.  Meaning it can be read from Windows, Mac, & Linux.  That, and it's 4 GB storage capacity.  Way too big to be the OSCAR dmg, and way too small to be your laptops hard drive

Quick question.... When you remove your SD card from the card reader, do you "Eject" it first?  Or just pull the card out?  If you right click on the drive symbol there should be an option to "Eject".  In your case it should say: Eject "OSCAR".  It's always safest to Eject the card first. Smile
Not sure how it got the name OSCAR, unless you renamed it maybe???

Good morning Jeff8356.

Thank you for the information!

Yes, after the first few times of just yanking the card out I remembered the step of clicking on the arrow next to the name of the device.  The notifications I kept getting to do so were a big clue that I should.   Rolleyes

Also, I do believe I named the device OSCAR.  Yeah, pretty sure I did...I've done a lot of stuff since joining thee forum so I get a bit confused.

Regards,
Plmnb
Post Reply Post Reply
Jeff8356 I haven’t forgotten about you. I’ll get that screenshot up at some point today.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2019, 07:34 PM)sawinglogz Wrote: We can work on this for next release. Adding a README is probably the likeliest approach in the very short term.

In the longer term I could imagine what I've seen some applications do, where they say "You're not running this program from your Applications folder. Would you like to install it there now?"  But that's not trivial to code and to get right, so I don't think it'll make the next major release.

I have found a nice way to create a more nice .dmg here: https://github.com/andreyvit/create-dmg
A more modern way can be found here: https://github.com/LinusU/node-appdmg
Maybe we can use one of these?
Arie KLERK: Member of the Dutch Apnea Association staff (https://apneuvereniging.nl) and proud to be the OSCAR Translations Team Coordinator. 
***Please help us: We’re always looking for more translators and language editors***

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients, but just dedication to AB. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I've just added a README and updated the build process to create a .dmg with the README on it.

Arie, you're going to need to figure out the new instructions for building the .dmg with Qt Creator, since the old instructions just run "macdeployqt" and don't run the new script.

The new script will need the following:

The QT_BIN environment variable needs to be set to the full path where you installed Qt, e.g. "/Users/build/Qt5.12.5/5.12.5/clang_64/bin".
The executable needs to be something like "/Users/build/OSCAR-code/oscar/scripts/create_dmg".
The arguments need to be "OSCAR OSCAR.app /Users/build/OSCAR-code/Building/MacOS/README.rtfd".

I don't remember where in the "Build Settings" window you can see the full path to your copy of the repo (/Users/build/OSCAR-code or /Users/build/OSCAR-code/oscar as shown above).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Help with Oscar Installation FrankIII 5 351 02-25-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR "scrubber bar" feature? jdavis 2 276 02-22-2024, 09:42 PM
Last Post: jdavis
  Request Copy of Resmed Airsense 10 SDCard core files gedm 6 525 12-14-2023, 07:04 PM
Last Post: gedm
Question Oscar installation problem [solved, see post #4] Bertrand 3 776 09-19-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Bertrand
  [Feature Request] EPR mode in overview pressure graph tossinandturnin 8 888 07-24-2023, 06:24 AM
Last Post: tossinandturnin
  Feature Request - OSCAR Linux rammjet 3 652 07-09-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: rammjet
  [Feature Request] Flow Rate graph to Audio File? omonoiatis9 1 568 05-05-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: DavidEsp

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.