Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feedback and Suggestions after 1st week?
Feedback and Suggestions after 1st week?
So .. its a week since I started CPAP and would like some feedback on the numbers \ data if I could.

Hopefully these links\images arent too big.

[Image: Z1oOZhK.png]

[Image: jnLKSF0.png]

[Image: Fdr71XH.png]

[Image: oEyhZeR.png]

[Image: iNHcSNM.png]

[Image: nN5ooBp.png]

[Image: 5oHP3lm.png]

[Image: NX46iQY.png]

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Feedback and Suggestions after 1st week?
Hi there Druid!

Your numbers are ok for starting out. You have a lot of leaks, which is quite common when starting. You need to adjust straps or switch to a P10 pillow. My DME started me on the Eson as well. I moved to the pillow within a month.

I don't understand why you are on a straight CPAP instead of an autoset. From the land of Resmed too no less! I think you should try an autoset which basically titrates continuously all night long. That way you can go to sleep at a lower pressure and only get as much pressure as needed to cope with the events as you sleep.

Overall, your AHIs are pretty good! Congratulations!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that trailrider. I have a download at the clinic tomorrow and possibility of trailing another mask.
The Leaks are semi expected as apart from being new,
1) High pressure makes the in-nose mask type ineffective (apparently) - so using trying an F&P Eson.
2) I have a "Van Dyke" style upper and lower facial hair
3) I move and turn a fair bit in my sleep (and wake up and adjust mask)

Cheers,
DruiD
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still a newbie. I agree about the pillows. I think the general limit for those is 14 (there are exceptions of course). My brother uses an FandP full face mask. It's one of the few recommended for facial hair. I seem to recall coming across a listing on the internet. If I find it, I will post (if it's commercial, I will pm as per site rules)).

Congrats on your first week. I'm on my third, so not much ahead of you in actual practice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Take it from a long time wearer of Van Dykes and full beards: Nasal pillows work best! oldman
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Druid,

I too have a "Van Dyke" type beard and mustache. My unintentional leaks are as follows over the long haul. Median=0, 95%<7, max<15. I currently use a Mirage Quattro FFM. I have used a nasal mask. It never leaked at the seals just through my mouth a lot. I had a FFM that I could not get to quit leaking into my eyes and waking me up but it never leaked anywhere the seals were on top of my facial hair.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Well a couple of adjustments today at the clinic, and the F&P Eson nasal mask feels (and sounds) a LOT better - a few more sleeps and another download will tell if its improved the actual leaks etc.
The trick was.. LOOSEN it. I was 'ever tightening' it to get a better seal - but I was making it worse. It should just barely ride on your face apparently.

Apparently these nasal mask cushions are supposed to ride on a cushion of air .. and when moving and such ..its allowed to move around to 'reseal' against your face.
.. The air pressure naturally expands out the silicone cushion against your face and cushion 'rolls' into the new position without leaking.

I kept tightening it so it couldn't roll or move.. thus .. it just leaked.. instead of self-sealing\adjusting.

Oh.. and somehow I had lost (or never given) the 'defuser' ? - the little extra plastic clip and cloth piece on the mask end near where the hose connects - that reduces the 'air' noise CONSIDERABLYSmile.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 505 8 hours ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 108 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Sleep HQ Chart Feedback RobertGeorge 9 239 03-21-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,933 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 205 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.