Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New CPAPer seeking advice on machine choice
New CPAPer seeking advice on machine choice
Hi, I'm just wrapping up a CPAP rental period (ResMed S9) after a severe apnoea diagnosis. Really frustrated that the MyAir app isn't available in Australia (yet?) and trying to figure out what to purchase. There's an S10 model with 3G rather than 2G, is that right? I'm keen to have data available as easily as possible so really want to be able to check on my phone, whether that's by logging into the ResMed site for My Air or using the Philips app (Dream Mapper?). Is there another brand worth considering or that does well on the remote data access front? From what I've read I'm hoping to be able to stick with ResMed because although I think Philips claims the Dreamstation is "63% quieter than ResMed" or something, every report I've seen from someone who uses them seems to say it's actually much louder.

My results so far suggest I don't need the extra expense of APAP, but that excellent machine choices article on the wiki (which I of course can't link to yet) says the fixed pressure Philips apparently records less comprehensive data than the auto? That sounds like a bummer. Is that true of ResMed as well?

So does anyone have any advice for things to think about if the connectivity is a priority? Any help gratefully appreciated, thanks. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAPer seeking advice on machine choice
IMHO the data that you get from DreamMapper or MyAir is NOT of a level of detail sufficient to easily make adjustments.  The best they deliver are averages, sufficient to say you are doing good.

The APAPs are much more flexible in what you can do with them.  Ask yourself, are the settings that you get from your sleep study going to be sufficient for the next 5+ yea?

Sleepyhead is the software that you can use to track.  Uploading data can occur over WIFI if you purchase a WIFI enabled SD card.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I'm planning to use Sleepyhead for periodically checking detailed data, making any necessary adjustments etc. but I'd like to have something I can quickly check at a glance for a rough idea of how good the previous night was, etc. If possible, I'd rather not have to boot up a computer to load Sleepyhead every time I want to do a quick high level check.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2017, 05:38 PM)TimHodge Wrote: Hi, I'm just wrapping up a CPAP rental period (ResMed S9) after a severe apnoea diagnosis. Really frustrated that the MyAir app isn't available in Australia (yet?) and trying to figure out what to purchase. There's an S10 model with 3G rather than 2G, is that right? I'm keen to have data available as easily as possible so really want to be able to check on my phone, whether that's by logging into the ResMed site for My Air or using the Philips app (Dream Mapper?). Is there another brand worth considering or that does well on the remote data access front? From what I've read I'm hoping to be able to stick with ResMed because although I think Philips claims the Dreamstation is "63% quieter than ResMed" or something, every report I've seen from someone who uses them seems to say it's actually much louder.

My results so far suggest I don't need the extra expense of APAP, but that excellent machine choices article on the wiki (which I of course can't link to yet) says the fixed pressure Philips apparently records less comprehensive data than the auto? That sounds like a bummer. Is that true of ResMed as well?

So does anyone have any advice for things to think about if the connectivity is a priority? Any help gratefully appreciated, thanks. 

Don't worry about MyAir. You'll want SleepyHead and an SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed Airsense 10Autoset will give you a very simple report on it's screen for each day: usage hours, events per hour, mask seal, humidifier (just good/bad on these last two).
Post Reply Post Reply
you have the onscreen display that will give you basic info on AHI from the resmed elite. It is harder to tritrate an elite compared to an auto, but with sleepyhead, it can be done. I personally would buy a resmed 10 autoset for AU$750 inc reshipper freight from amazon.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi TimHodge,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,318 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 173 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,534 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 328 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 464 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 286 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 1,027 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.