Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feedback on Oscar, ReScan Chart; Dry Mouth
Feedback on Oscar, ReScan Chart; Dry Mouth
Hello! My mom age 72 used CPAP for a bout a month now after a long break. She doesnot feel comfortable using especially because her mouth get dry and stiffened. She uses 'AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her' with humidifier and a full face mask because her mouth remains open during sleep.

I'd love some input on her OSCAR and ResScan charts that I have attached here to make sure things are looking okay and/or for any recommendations. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you very much for your time and support! 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Feedback on Oscar, ReScan Chart; Dry Mouth
I am not familiar with these type of charts. Looking at the 3rd set of graphs - it looks like large leaks and with a dry mouth I would think it is mouth breathing. You can usually tell on Oscar mouth breathing in the leak chart. If the chart shows a large leak With a flat top is usually mouth breathing. Your chart only showed a large leak.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Humayun. You mentioned Oscar charts, but I didn't see any. It'd be great if you could post a typical one, showing the left panel (calendar turned off via small triangle next to today's date), plus these graphs:

Events
Flow rate
Pressure
Leaks
Flow limitations
Snores.

For dry mouth, some people get relief from Zylimelts. They are small disks that stick to the gum or teeth and stimulate saliva production throughout the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks a lot for responding. There was a limit of three files so I have attached OSCAR Daily View Report for three days when CPAP was used for at least 6 hours. Is this the kind of report view one you were talking about? 

Could you please attach a random report if it is not the one?

Thanks for your time.

.zip   OSCAR Daily Detail View 092820.zip (Size: 589.05 KB / Downloads: 1)
Post Reply Post Reply
May I suggest that you use OSCAR's F12 key to take screenshots.  It provides a better layout for viewing.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Basically ALL your events happened when you had large leaks. During large leaked the machine can NOT give you enough pressure for therapy. The areas that are gray are large leaks. You have to take charge of the leaks and get rid of all you can before you can do anything else. 

In WIKI 
There is a mask primer that might help
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Use the instructions in this link as a guide.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Once the large leaks are under control and we can see what's going on, I think we can suggest some settings that will work better. But for now, we'd just be guessing.

Do you and your mother live in the same place? I ask, because it'd be useful if you could look in on her once or twice during the night to see the position of her mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the help. I have taken the screen shots. All the information on the left and right columns are in the attached files for three days when the usage was good- 6 hours or so. 

Normally, my mom would take it off after a few hours of use between 2 - 4 hours and sometimes less. She also gets up in the middle of the night. Not sure why, but she does use bathroom to pee when she wakes up. She has complained about dry mouth too. Does the graph also help indicate any reason what makes her get up like that. 

Thanks all for your great input.

Post Reply Post Reply
The leaks in the first screenshot is one of the main problems. If there is a gray area that leak is to high to allow therapy. The pressure is what keeps the airways open. With leaks like you show there is no therapy.

The leak chart shows flat tops on almost all the leaks. That shows mouth breathing.

I have a link at the bottom for a collar. Please take a look at it. Another option is a full face mask but they have problems with leak also.

You really can’t do much until they are fixed. But your min is to low for an adult. 6 to 8 is about the minimum for adults. So change the min to 6 and see about leaks. Post again tomorrow
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 357 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Sleep HQ Chart Feedback RobertGeorge 9 234 03-21-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 96 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.