Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feel like I am suffocating
RE: Feel like I am suffocating
(05-04-2015, 08:36 PM)Quila Wrote:
(05-04-2015, 08:11 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(05-04-2015, 03:06 PM)Quila Wrote: I felt like I was being suffocated when I used a nasal mask (Resmed N10) with ramp on and minimum pressure at 5. I now have ramp off and minimum pressure at 8 and no longer feel like I'm starving for air. I'm also using nasal pillows (Resmed P10) now instead of the nasal mask. To my surprise, I had no problem using the pillows while I had a cold last week.

It sounds like you've turned a corner. How many hours are you able to tolerate now?

I didn't post the original comment on this topic, I was just sharing what I went through because it was similar to what catalina was describing. I'm also new to CPAP and I'm learning as I go, mostly from this web site.

Having said that, there was only one time I woke up with the nasal mask still on my face. It would usually come off within two or three hours. I had much better luck with the nasal pillows and of course with higher pressure as well. Turning the ramp feature off also helped a lot for me.

I didn't think I'd be able to be anywhere near compliant when I started to come down with a cold. I thought I might need a full face mask. That's what I really found surprising. I didn't think I'd be able to breathe through my nose all night, but it wasn't a problem at all.
Hi Quila,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good to hear that you are getting adjusted to your CPAP therapy.
keep up the good work and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for the advice everyone.

I dont know how to change the pressure yet ( will look it up today), but it starts at 4, which is way too low and most likely why i feel like i am suffocating.

I removed the gradual also, it did make a slight difference. I am happy to say i slept all night with it!!!

Now i have to try and solve that leak problem. The technician had put the xsmall mask for my nose, perhaps i should try the small/med one!
Post Reply Post Reply
Catalina, the instructions for making pressure changes are here: http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsens...setup-info

Good luck with everything, and don't hesitate to ask any questions. Sounds like things are better with the ramp off.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
catalina,
If you haven't already done so, request the clinical manual for your machine (top of page).
You will find instructions on how to change pressure.
Try starting out at no less than 7 and keep the max pressure at 12. Then you should download SleepyHead software and start looking at the graphs to track your AHI and your pressure readings.
Knowing where your pressure is for 90% of the time is the only way to set a pressure range that will be optimal for you.
Sleep-well
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board, and I'm glad you're making progress. The mask is the hardest part of therapy for most people. Just remember it's a marathon not a sprint. Best of luck with your continued therapy!
Post Reply Post Reply
I use nasal pillows rather than a mask -- but yes, moving up to a bigger size (I moved to a medium, the DME thinks I look like a smaller size than that) prevents me from feeling like I'm suffocating. I've also had asthma and allergy lung capacity tests (why don't sleep studies do these?) so I know that I have deeper volume in my lungs than many people -- possibly from playing the bassoon and the saxophone in high school. The smaller sizes of masks (or nasal pillows) didn't get enough volume of air into my lungs, and I felt suffocated very quickly!

By all means: try a larger size of mask or whatever breathing apparatus you use! I also stopped using my machine for 1.5 years* until they agreed to push the pressure up from 5 to 8, for the same reason --- not enough air was getting into my lungs. It's your body, and you know what it needs. Be polite, but make sure people listen to you!

* (I was too lazy to ask them to change it; didn't want another sleep study. And hadn't found this web site, or I'd have know about changing it myself!) ((downloads the manual right now, from the above link-Thanks!))

bgDeb
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 189 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 87 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 832 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 327 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,016 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 398 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 902 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.