Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feel like I am suffocating
Feel like I am suffocating
Hi everyone!

I just got my machine last week. Took a nasal mask since I cannot sleep with my mouth open. I started on Thursday (had a bit of a leftover sinus cold left) and was not able to sleep with it. After two hours I took it off. Friday and Saturday I keep it on for about 90 minutes. I have this suffocation feeling when I have it on.

I'm a side sleeper and I have leaks towards my eyes so I have to reajust my head position constantly. The air that circulated in the mask around my nose is bothering me. I feel trapped.

Yesterday I slept 4 hours with it, which is much better. But I still had that suffocating issue with it on.

I was wondering if a nasal pillow would be better??
Or should I tough it out and get use to it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Feel like I am suffocating
The nasal pillow may very well help get rid of the air sensation around your nose, and the leaks around your eyes.

Some people say this style helps with sinus congestion issues too.

What pressure(s) are you using? If the pressure is too low (less than 7 or 8) it can cause a feeling of not getting enough air.
Post Reply Post Reply
For some reason I cant seem to save my profile to show my stats.

I have a Resmed AirSense 10 with a Wisp Nasal mask.

My settings are on auto but if memory serves me right the pressure is at about 10.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2015, 10:59 AM)catalina Wrote: For some reason I cant seem to save my profile to show my stats.

I have a Resmed AirSense 10 with a Wisp Nasal mask.

My settings are on auto but if memory serves me right the pressure is at about 10.

After filling out your profile info, go to bottom of page and hit update profile.

If you are using an auto machine, what range are your pressure settings? If lower than a starting pressure of 7 or 8, your will feel air deprived.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi catalina,
Didn't you say in your profile that your pressures were set at 4-12? If that's where they are, you might raise your minimum pressure to 7 and leave your maximum at 12.
Hangin there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2015, 10:37 AM)catalina Wrote: Hi everyone!

I just got my machine last week. Took a nasal mask since I cannot sleep with my mouth open. I started on Thursday (had a bit of a leftover sinus cold left) and was not able to sleep with it. After two hours I took it off. Friday and Saturday I keep it on for about 90 minutes. I have this suffocation feeling when I have it on.

I'm a side sleeper and I have leaks towards my eyes so I have to reajust my head position constantly. The air that circulated in the mask around my nose is bothering me. I feel trapped.

Yesterday I slept 4 hours with it, which is much better. But I still had that suffocating issue with it on.

I was wondering if a nasal pillow would be better??
Or should I tough it out and get use to it?

If you are using Ramp, turn it off. Your profile shows a pressure range of 4-12. Increase the minimum pressure until you are completely comfortable and eliminate the feeling of air starvation or suffocation. Please let us know if you need help in accessing the settings to do this.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I felt like I was being suffocated when I used a nasal mask (Resmed N10) with ramp on and minimum pressure at 5. I now have ramp off and minimum pressure at 8 and no longer feel like I'm starving for air. I'm also using nasal pillows (Resmed P10) now instead of the nasal mask. To my surprise, I had no problem using the pillows while I had a cold last week.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also check the exhale relief. On the A10s, is it still called EPR? Make sure that is adjusted to where you need it.

Sit up with it on during the day. Read a book, watch tv, whatever. Get used to the sensations of the air and the mask. That way when you lay down, you're not fighting it as much.

Nasal pillows are less invasive looking and feeling but some people feel even more smothered with them just due to the design.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2015, 03:06 PM)Quila Wrote: I felt like I was being suffocated when I used a nasal mask (Resmed N10) with ramp on and minimum pressure at 5. I now have ramp off and minimum pressure at 8 and no longer feel like I'm starving for air. I'm also using nasal pillows (Resmed P10) now instead of the nasal mask. To my surprise, I had no problem using the pillows while I had a cold last week.

It sounds like you've turned a corner. How many hours are you able to tolerate now?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2015, 08:11 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(05-04-2015, 03:06 PM)Quila Wrote: I felt like I was being suffocated when I used a nasal mask (Resmed N10) with ramp on and minimum pressure at 5. I now have ramp off and minimum pressure at 8 and no longer feel like I'm starving for air. I'm also using nasal pillows (Resmed P10) now instead of the nasal mask. To my surprise, I had no problem using the pillows while I had a cold last week.

It sounds like you've turned a corner. How many hours are you able to tolerate now?

I didn't post the original comment on this topic, I was just sharing what I went through because it was similar to what catalina was describing. I'm also new to CPAP and I'm learning as I go, mostly from this web site.

Having said that, there was only one time I woke up with the nasal mask still on my face. It would usually come off within two or three hours. I had much better luck with the nasal pillows and of course with higher pressure as well. Turning the ramp feature off also helped a lot for me.

I didn't think I'd be able to be anywhere near compliant when I started to come down with a cold. I thought I might need a full face mask. That's what I really found surprising. I didn't think I'd be able to breathe through my nose all night, but it wasn't a problem at all.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 194 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 835 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 329 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,018 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 399 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 902 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.