Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feel like my Pillow isn't giving good therapy...reco to try?
RE: Feel like my Pillow isn't giving good therapy...reco to try?
To return to the original poster's question, mention was made about considering the Brevida. I HEARTILY SECOND THAT IDEA. Having tried several masks, all of which had shortcomings, I tried the Brevida because my wife uses it with great success. Fisher & Paykel (manufacturer of Brevida) has great sealing technology, and the Brevida is no exception. The mask feels like there's nothing there, and I can't MAKE it leak when properly fitted. Wear it a little loose, it will inflate a bit as needed.

One other thing - Opal Rose is right. Medicare has a schedule for equipment replacement, and most insurers adhere to it. Do your homework and see what the schedule is. She has provided a link to it.

Best of luck to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would second the brand Fisher and Paykel. Great masks. When you say things similar to large leaks for 10-40 minutes long at times, this indicates the mask had failed you in some way. Not the right fit, improper adjustment, something isn't right for you with this mask. I am aware large leaks can and will hinder good therapy. In fact, it will also hinder the PAP from knowing of some events were there to treat or the charts will be less accurate because of this.

So again, we'll need the chart to see what's going on. I'm not digging it up. But even without data, large amounts of leaks will compromise therapy. You wanted help and an answer. There's mine. Fix the leaks somehow. New mask, chin strap, or tape, or maybe all three. Stop the leaks and you'll be better for it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I keep posting my stuff but i dont get very much actual advice. some people say "oh man its so bad" some people say "its good therapy" but no explanation on what needs fixing -=/

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
more data

Post Reply Post Reply
heres one that happened recently that made me begin to question this mask or my setup...

Post Reply Post Reply
This is a NEW thread, we always request data to help. If you can't bother to help inform us by the OSCAR data, no problem. But then nobody can be able to assist in the best possible way.

Those 7 charts, the average total leaks over those sample 7 charts was 36.29 rounded up. So yes you have inconsistent and very high near, or above, ResMed's redline. And they were as low as Max 20 with this last one at Max 46.8.

I can't give specifics as I don't remember what you've tried, what's failed, what's helped. But it's obvious something needs changed.

I'd try either a new cushion, new complete mask, adjusting mask differently, a different mask, maybe a different type pillows, nasal, full face, hybrid, maybe adding tape, maybe a chin strap.

After that mask and leak issues, there's some Hypopnea you may need to deal with. That would require bumping up the Min pressure 7. Try 8 min.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wait so something def needs changing? How do I know if its mouth leaks or not?

Also  why is my AHI so good if i need major change due to leaks? Also why arent they showing up as major leaks?

I am very confused here... are the doctors are incompotent telling me i have good therapy even with high leaks???

Is Brevida better for leaks than Evora?

I Started with the standard AirFit P10 and it was garbage. Hurt my nostrils and could even tighten properly with that garbage clip thing.

I been on evora since then. I did try out the vitera but it leaked way more than evora.

What should i try out nasal pillow wise? What is acceptable leaks? The machine says im below 1 AHI which is supposidly very good treatment and the doctor says im fine...so what do i need to do exactly?

There are a million masks out there and I dont even knwo waht the actual problem is - and working with apria is like pulling teeth - I am looking for help here =/

I just need to know a new mask to try to get my leaks down if thats going to help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tiredal: you need to approach each mask as a project, a puzzle to be solved. One has to experiment and adapt. One has to take time and be patient. When it comet to a new mask, one has to calmly lie down and go through a progressive ritual of adjusting straps, and then start the machine, and then make any further minor adjustments.

NO one mask is going to solve all issues. Moreover, on any given night, things might go kablooie no matter what the mask. That's why masks should be tried and adjusted over a period of time before moving on.

You ask if "brevida is better for leaks than Evora?". There is no absolute answer to that question. Everyone's face and sleep style is different. some have beards, etc.

In the end, I think we all look for an acceptable mask. I agree that your current numbers are unacceptable. I think you need to do something new. But you need to learn and adapt. Each mask will tell you something. Listen.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2021, 07:03 PM)hegel Wrote: Tiredal: you need to approach each mask as a project, a puzzle to be solved. One has to experiment and adapt. One has to take time and be patient. When it comet to a new mask, one has to calmly lie down and go through a progressive ritual of adjusting straps, and then start the machine, and then make any further minor adjustments.

NO one mask is going to solve all issues. Moreover, on any given night, things might go kablooie no matter what the mask. That's why masks should be tried and adjusted over a period of time before moving on.

You ask if "brevida is better for leaks than Evora?". There is no absolute answer to that question. Everyone's face and sleep style is different. some have beards, etc.

In the end, I think we all look for an acceptable mask. I agree that your current numbers are unacceptable. I think you need to do something new. But you need to learn and adapt. Each mask will tell you something. Listen.

Thats great advice...here is the problem.

I dont know what to listen to. 

My machine says I have next to no issues at night, sub 1 AHI. With that stat I am cured. You are saying these are unacceptable results.

How do I know that? How do I test that? How do I find out what is causing it?

I am happy to take the time and treat it as a science project and use deductive reasoning..but i have no inforomation to base any deduction on. All I have is a machine telling me im good and a forum telling me im unaccpetably bad ... and all i want is to be healthy and get some real answers/guidence =/

im willing to fight my stupid provider for a new mask but where do i even start? how do i track down the problem
Post Reply Post Reply
With a minimum High leak rate of that group at 20, the data about therapy and events is questionable in what you see and in accuracy in what you're getting. So the leaks need addressed.

You wanted to know why you feel bad for the effort of therapy. Here it is, consistently large leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 70 1,296 8 minutes ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Low AHI scores but feel like I should feel better jake79 6 166 28 minutes ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 4 35 47 minutes ago
Last Post: erouting
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 0 18 1 hour ago
Last Post: joedes
  Giving up Evora, need suggestions PaulaO2 8 104 1 hour ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 58 919 2 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  liebano - Therapy Analysis liebano 17 587 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: liebano

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.