Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feel like my Pillow isn't giving good therapy...reco to try?
RE: Feel like my Pillow isn't giving good therapy...reco to try?
I don't agree or think your insurance will approve changing masks whenever you want like you think. If me, I'd call the insurance and ask to be sure. But I've never heard of any insurance that will always cover masks or other accessories whenever you choose.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Side sleeping is a tough nut to crack, mask wise. I was using the Airfit F30 but then started sleeping more on both sides and it began to leak more. But that was a good mask for me for several years.

I moved on to the Fisher and Paykel Vitera but due to a novacaine-induced cheek bite, couldn't use it for several weeks. In the interim I had to go back to nasal pillows and now I'm hooked again. However, many say the Vitera is very good for leaks. I never used it enough to dial it in. May be worth a shot if you want a full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
dont want fulll face, tried vitera and it leaked like a sieve for me
Post Reply Post Reply
Well.. the Airfit F30 is sort of hybrid; a half mask in a way. I'm assuming that nasal pillows are out?
Post Reply Post Reply
What does a recent OSCAR chart look like? It may help only a lot to see the data.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2021, 03:53 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I don't agree or think your insurance will approve changing masks whenever you want like you think. If me, I'd call the insurance and ask to be sure. But I've never heard of any insurance that will always cover masks or other accessories whenever you choose.

And how would you try a new mask if your current one isnt giving you goo therapy? Suffer for 6 months and transfer to a new mask you dont know will work and live with that one for 6 months if it doesnt work? I can't see any insurance company having that policy. this is a life long debilitating illness, insurance is there to pay for stuff.

u cant get things reaplced ever other day , sure. but to try a new mask? That would be insane if they didnt allow that.

Ive called them and been told they will pay for ANY equipment I need covered by my plan.

For other people, is their plan different? Is so, how the heck would you ever find a new mask that works ? Waiting 6 months intbween tests seems insane.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2021, 06:02 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: What does a recent OSCAR chart look like? It may help only a lot to see the data.

Ive posted it before. I am always under 3 AHI. Mostly under 1. And closer to .5 usually.

Sometimes I have some massive leaks for long stretches tho (10-40min)

I just dont feel awesome in the mornings.
Post Reply Post Reply
It appears tierdal that the key word in your post is here "they will pay for ANY equipment I need covered by my plan." The word plan means a lot I believe.

And BTW let's not cross the threshold of making it a personal issue between you and anyone on Apnea Board, myself included. Not accusing of this happening, just a friendly reminder.

If I needed a mask before my insurance replacement plan allowed, I would go online and buy it with cash.
Post Reply Post Reply
tierdal the secret to me improving my treatment was finding this forum.

SarcasticDave94 and others here have helped me so much.

I had the sleep doc from *ell. And his DME provider was the same. One mask fits all people's needs.

So....I asked everyone I met with mask strap marks who they bought from and if they liked them. And I swapped DME suppliers. I still go there. They will loan me masks. For a week. They answer all my questions. And my treatment works.

Over the last 3 weeks I've tried about 4 masks. I want to find a solution to mouth breathing. Keep my mouth shut at night. I'm claustrophobic.

My story is not important. What I've found is that the right mask solves problems. The wrong mask causes problems. And masks don't last. Head gear stretch. Seals atrophy.

I've been compliant for more than 30 years. I'm finally getting good treatment.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2021, 09:07 PM)DaveL Wrote: tierdal the secret to me improving my treatment was finding this forum.

SarcasticDave94 and others here have helped me so much.

I had the sleep doc from *ell. And his DME provider was the same. One mask fits all people's needs.

So....I asked everyone I met with mask strap marks who they bought from and if they liked them.  And I swapped DME suppliers. I still go there. They will loan me masks. For a week.  They answer all my questions. And my treatment works.

Over the last 3 weeks I've tried about 4 masks.  I want to find a solution to mouth breathing.  Keep my mouth shut at night. I'm claustrophobic.

My story is not important. What I've found is that the right mask solves problems.  The wrong mask causes problems.  And masks don't last. Head gear stretch.  Seals atrophy.

I've been compliant for more than 30 years.  I'm finally getting good treatment.

Which DME? What masks would you suggest?

How did you know when a mask wasn't giving you good treatment? Mines giving me a super low AHI (under 1, closer to .6 .. was .1 today). Can I trust that is good treatment? IT is so hard to know
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Second attemp at therapy Jonkier 5 111 3 hours ago
Last Post: Jonkier
  [Treatment] The Fox's Therapy Thread (plus help with Dad) The Fox 3 69 5 hours ago
Last Post: Jay51
  Resmed Mini good - Resmed 11 not good r2davis3 2 55 7 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 79 1,473 11 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 3 184 04-22-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: joedes
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 75 1,591 04-22-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  How long did it take for you to feel better on CPAP? Pebble 6 188 04-21-2024, 06:59 PM
Last Post: AndyB

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.