Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feel the same after almost 3 weeks in therapy..
Ohmy 
Feel the same after almost 3 weeks in therapy..
Hi all,

I'm 3 weeks in xPAP therapy now and my prePAP AHI of 35 is now on average below 1.

However, I still don't feel like I'm having a good nights sleep. I checked with CMS 50D+ pulse oximeter and my SpO2 levels stay between 95-98 during the night with xPAP therapy.

Since day 1 I've almost never slept without APAP. First night couldn't stand it after several hours, a couple days later woke up with the mask on the floor and last night, slept 1 hour without APAP to check my SpO2 levels.

I use a F&P Eson Nasal Mask. SleepyHead shows average leak rate since beginning as 0.58 and 90% Leak Rate as 1.20. I suppose this means no big leak problems. However, almost every other night I wake up with the mask blowing air into my eyes. This feels really bad and can't go on sleeping without fixing the issue.

Slept only 2 nights uninterrupted, otherwise wake up once or twice to go to the wc.

What do you think might be the case for my condition of not feeling well when waking up? Don't feel any difference between now and before xPAP therapy. What would you suggest?

BTW, thanks for all your contributions to the forum, am learning a lot from you all.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Feel the same after almost 3 weeks in therapy..
There are two things about apnea and CPAP. There are settings for the apnea, which it sounds like you are doing fine with. And then there are all the comfort settings that let you get a good nights sleep while using CPAP for your apnea, This is what you need to work on. Start a journal (there will be many changes and you will forget) pick one thing (humidity, temperature, ramp, starting pressure) and make single setting adjustments and see if it's better or worse (put it in the journal) keep going until it changes fro better to worse and then take it a step or so back. Do this for each of the settings, some you will not need to sleep overnight to tell, the mask on for a couple minutes can tell you some things just won't work for you.

This is all personal, no one can tell you what setting will work for you. Chances are good that you are not "normal" for every setting that can be changed, there is a reason that they make it so you can change them.
Post Reply Post Reply
The time it takes for you to feel better is extremely variable. Age when you start treatment, how long you had apnea and how severe it was before treatment, other health factors all influence this. The treatment is helping you even if you don't notice right away - just to stop getting worse is something, because before you started you were almost certainly deteriorating.

Some people experience immediate and almost miraculous improvement. These are likely those who haven't had apnea all that long and aren't all that old. Us old folks who probably had apnea for many years and have, perhaps, diabetes or heart problems due to the apnea will likely have to wait longer for benefits to become obvious. Or maybe we won't notice much improvement at all *but* we will stop getting worse like we were before.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2016, 03:47 PM)PoolQ Wrote: And then there are all the comfort settings that let you get a good nights sleep while using CPAP for your apnea, This is what you need to work on.

After almost a month of xPAP therapy I think I have my settings right, especially the last 3-4 nights have been generally very good comfort-wise. I'm using Ramp for 5 minutes with humidification set at 3.0. I think also got used to the mask. Also tried drinking less of tea or coffee during evening hours which helped for an uninterrupted sleep. But if things will get worse, I'll keep your words in mind, thanks PoolQ.

(01-21-2016, 07:39 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: The time it takes for you to feel better is extremely variable. Age when you start treatment, how long you had apnea and how severe it was before treatment, other health factors all influence this. The treatment is helping you even if you don't notice right away - just to stop getting worse is something, because before you started you were almost certainly deteriorating.

I don't know since when I have OSA but I think my symptoms have been around for almost 10-12 years now. So, I think I'll need some more time to feel the difference, if at all.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 195 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,073 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 169 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,361 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.