Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feel worse
Ohmy 
Feel worse
:unsure:;)

Hello,
I am a relatively new CPAP user...got my machine about 6 weeks ago and slowing have been trying to tolerate this new experience. Tried nose mask but experienced chest and back pain, and then pain in all sinus areas as well as headaches. Was switch to a nostral pillow type but would not stay in place properly and felt wasn't getting proper air flow. Went back to nose mask and loosened a bit. Doctor ordered oxygen to be added several days ago...getting to be overwhelming for me. Went from 15 minutes of tolerating it to now a maximum of 3-4 hours... However, I have rarely drifted off to sleep while wearing it, and when I did it was only for a maximum time of 20 minutes. Past four days I have tried desperately to wear it for the four hours per day needed for my insurance to pay for it but afraid I am not going to make it. I suffer from a lot of anxiety in general so I have been experiencing panic attacks and have to remove the mask. I am at a loss because I have many health problems and don't need to feel more ill from using the CPAP. And, does anyone know if I don't make the required time use if my insurance won't pay for the machine..and can I return it it if I can't use it ? I do plan to continue and give it a fair try for another 3 weeks. Thank you for your time.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Feel worse
Hi loudnoise and welcome to Apnea Board.

Here's what I think you should focus on: You have already noticed that you are able to adapt to this therapy. At first you could wear it for only a few minutes and now you can wear it for a few hours.

This is happening because the human body has the amazing ability to adapt.

If you keep at it you will continue to make progress and you will be successful.

Here's some light for you at the end of the tunnel: You can't see it yet but it's there and soon you will. Anxiety is at least aggravated, if not outright caused, by a lack of quality sleep. CPAP therapy will reduce or eliminate your anxiety.

Try wearing the mask and turning on the machine while you are not trying to sleep. Wear it while you're reading, watching TV, listening to music, or whatever it is you can enjoy doing while relaxing. This will help you adapt to the mask and it will also help you reach that time quota.

Before long you'll be sleeping, you'll wake up and wonder if the machine has stopped. You'll check it and find that it is indeed running but you've relaxed to the point that your breathing is so slow and gentle that you don't even notice the CPAP machine running.

Keep trying different masks. Giving up is not an option because you are fighting for your life. And the reward is that your quality of life will improve dramatically. You just have to be patient.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2013, 01:02 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Hi loudnoise and welcome to Apnea Board.

Here's what I think you should focus on: You have already noticed that you are able to adapt to this therapy. At first you could wear it for only a few minutes and now you can wear it for a few hours.

This is happening because the human body has the amazing ability to adapt.

If you keep at it you will continue to make progress and you will be successful.

Here's some light for you at the end of the tunnel: You can't see it yet but it's there and soon you will. Anxiety is at least aggravated, if not outright caused, by a lack of quality sleep. CPAP therapy will reduce or eliminate your anxiety.

Try wearing the mask and turning on the machine while you are not trying to sleep. Wear it while you're reading, watching TV, listening to music, or whatever it is you can enjoy doing while relaxing. This will help you adapt to the mask and it will also help you reach that time quota.

Before long you'll be sleeping, you'll wake up and wonder if the machine has stopped. You'll check it and find that it is indeed running but you've relaxed to the point that your breathing is so slow and gentle that you don't even notice the CPAP machine running.

Keep trying different masks. Giving up is not an option because you are fighting for your life. And the reward is that your quality of life will improve dramatically. You just have to be patient.

BigwinkThank you for your reply sleepster. I will do as you suggest. What about being ill after using it. I have read several blogs of users also feeling ill, nausea, headaches etc. I worry that some germ will go into my lungs and give me another infection..one of the worst things I have gone through in the past. Have you heard of this before??

Thank you for your reply. I will give your suggestions a try. I am worried that a germ will go into my lungs again and give me another infection..I was so ill and thought it was the end for me before. Should I be concerned.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are getting a supply of air now that's cleaner and better conditioned. It's filtered and humidified and you're not breathing air that passes over dust mites and other nasties in the bedding.

Feeling ill, having nausea or headaches are all possible side effects of just about any stressful experience in life. Just keep doing what you've been doing and give your body a chance to adapt. Focus on what's going on while you're awake and find something you like to do to keep yourself occupied.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
loudnoise1, some people find that when their anxiety is overwhelming a sedative or mild tranquilizer is necessary in the first days or weeks. Talk to your doctor. Have the doctor
document that you are making the effort to use the machine, but because of the anxiety and panic attacks are having difficulty. Your insurance company will be
better able to work with you if your problems are documented. Express your concerns with the doctor.
Yes you can return the machine if you need to do that, but three weeks may not be enough time to adjust. Try not to worry about the machine and insurance or set time limits. Easier said that done I well know. How well do you sleep without the CPAP? I have a relaxing CD that I can listen to through headphones- I concentraate on the music-rarely stay awake to the end. It's not recommended to watch TV when you're trying to sleep, but my partner needs the TV to reduce stres. I have gotten used to the noise and find it relaxes me, too. We set the sleep timer to turn the TV off in an hour and I'm rarely awake when the screen goes black. I don't watch, but don my mask (after a nice cuddle), turn over and go to sleep.
Please keep us posted, write every day for encouragement if need be. Talk out your problems.
It's not unusual to be overwhelmed- you just found out you have a chronic illness that causes you to stop breathing for shrt times during the night. You will go through the stages of grief. If you allow yourself you will work through the stages to acceptance. It can be difficult, but like many things in our lives it makes acceptance and success all the sweeter.
Keep us posted, good luck. Please discuss this with your sleep doctor, print out your post so you don't have trouble expressing yourself.
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on CPAP for four months and more painful/annoying side effects have all but faded away.
Hang in there and try to go for a couple of months time on the hose.

Cheers and best of luck!

=^.^=
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
To your query about germs. You should not be concerned about getting a germ from your CPAP, the air is filtered and you should be the only one using the machine. You can buy an additional bacteria filter to put inline with your hose. I have never used one so I don't know quite how it works. There is no guarantee you will not get a lung infection while using CPAP if you are prone to such infections. You will not get an infection from the CPAP in all liklihood.
Post Reply Post Reply
The air from the CPAP is probably better than the air you breathe without the mask.

To allay any fears about germs, just clean the mask daily with a mild soap (cleaning directions should be in the mask's manual).

If I have a cold or flu, I continue to use the mask and machine because I need the sleep to heal. I just make sure I clean the mask daily and air it out. After I am better, I like to do an extra good cleaning more for mental health than an actual need.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. It is much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are certainly getting good advice here. hang in there and don't give up!
Believe me..it will get better and I can attest to that.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 185 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 87 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 182 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 586 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 828 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 324 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.