Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feel worse, AHI the same
RE: Feel worse, AHI the same
I never knew this was so complicated. I have no clue what OP is or RDI diagnostic. Wish I never went for the study. It took 2 weeks for medical supply company to change my settings from 8 to the flex of 8-14. I ordered supplies 2 weeks ago and am still using all original parts. There has got to be an easier way.....maybe I'm just a complicated case. Everyone I know on cpap found immediate relief, other than some minor mask issues. I'm the opposite, was adapted to my mask in 3 days but have ZERO improvement. Sleeping without it tonight
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2015, 02:29 PM)Daisylouu Wrote: My 90% is always 14. Please guess.

Since your asking for a guess, well this is more common sense than a guess...
and you are sitting at your max of 14 for 90% of the night, I would adjust the max number up to 15. If the lower starting pressure doesn't bother you, you can raise that to 9. So your setting would be 9-15. This probably isn't ideal, but the idea is to make small changes and watch for a week or two.

You can also use the ramp feature if starting at 9 is too much for you. I don't use the ramp feature, but you may like it.
Set it to start at 6 for 15 or 20 minutes.

Keep us posted if you make changes and how you do with it.
Others may suggest something that could be more helpful to you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2015, 06:11 PM)Daisylouu Wrote: I never knew this was so complicated. I have no clue what OP is or RDI diagnostic. Wish I never went for the study. It took 2 weeks for medical supply company to change my settings from 8 to the flex of 8-14. I ordered supplies 2 weeks ago and am still using all original parts. There has got to be an easier way.....maybe I'm just a complicated case. Everyone I know on cpap found immediate relief, other than some minor mask issues. I'm the opposite, was adapted to my mask in 3 days but have ZERO improvement. Sleeping without it tonight

Sleeping without will make you feel even lousier.
You can make the pressure changes yourself, it's your health not DME's
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2015, 06:11 PM)Daisylouu Wrote: I never knew this was so complicated. I have no clue what OP is or RDI diagnostic. Wish I never went for the study. It took 2 weeks for medical supply company to change my settings from 8 to the flex of 8-14. I ordered supplies 2 weeks ago and am still using all original parts. There has got to be an easier way.....maybe I'm just a complicated case. Everyone I know on cpap found immediate relief, other than some minor mask issues. I'm the opposite, was adapted to my mask in 3 days but have ZERO improvement. Sleeping without it tonight

You don't know me but I did not find immediate relief. It took a long time for me to get used to my mask. It took me taking my therapy into my own hands and adjusting my pressure to start feeling better.

Your experience with the DME and supplies is fairly common but some have had worse. 2 weeks is a long time but they need to clear with insurance before they will send to you so lots of red tape and BS. For those with bad DME/Insurance end of buying their own minor supplies.

OP = Original Poster (the author of Post #1 (you)).
RDI = Respiratory Disturbance Index. See: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ance_index

Also see the Wiki for other acronyms that people try to stump us with: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2015, 05:11 PM)Daisylouu Wrote: What does that 90% mean? That I'm at the max 90% of the time?

It means that you were at that or less than that 90% of the time. Or turn it around, your pressure only went higher than the 90% figure 10% of the time.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
so my guess is along with OpalRose, that your machine is finding itself reacting to your apnea, trying to up the pressure. getting from 8 up to 14 takes a fair number of events all in a row. As she suggests, raising both your lower pressure and upper pressure slowly is a good guess at next step. If 14 just seems unbearable, though, still suggest you raise the lower pressure by 1, and ride that for at least 4 days to see whether overall reduction is seen.

Most important - stick with it.

If you had SleepyHead or EncoreBasic (another free software designed for Phillips Respironics) they would also be able to show you a number that is your median pressure. Like an average, the median indicates how much pressure you would see a percentage of the time. It would give even more info on what a good lower pressure setting might be.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
What should the 90% amount be? Lower than your highest setting?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2015, 08:25 PM)Daisylouu Wrote: What should the 90% amount be? Lower than your highest setting?

There is no right or wrong pressure. The 90% pressure (actually 90th percentile) should be lower than the maximum pressure. If it is equal to the maximum pressure, the machine is continuing to identify events that it is programmed to increase pressure to treat.

Keep working at it. The therapy takes time to adapt to the pressure. If you're feeling it is difficult to exhale against the pressure there are some solutions to that as well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I'll try the Mirage Liberty when I QALify for a new mask. You will know a lot more once you get your computer plugged in. I sure wish there were an iPhone aqq for SleepyHead or EncoreBasic.

keep reading up on sleep hygiene.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much. I'm getting there understanding some terms but VERY frustrated at life in general, I truly never heard of anyone having issues. People got cpap, it helped, the end. I also didn't know there were choices of machines! They just gave me mine, the end. I slept on a recliner last night to see if position would help, but my ahi was 15. Ugh!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 5 229 5 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 184 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 595 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 330 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.