Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feeling better versus better AHI goal?
Feeling better versus better AHI goal?
I was issued a Dreamstation a few weeks ago, apparently on fixed 9 cm PAP setting, as determined by sleep study with tentative use of C-PAP.

Going by what the Dreamstation is displaying, AHI and Periodic Breathing numbers were .5 and 1% respectively. But I did not feel that great and it took me a while to get myself together in the morning.

(I know, still no Sleepyhead data... I goofed my first import, and set the project aside.)

Yesterday, I decided to try setting the amchine to AutoPAP mode.
AHI rose to 2.5 and so did Periodic Breathing, 2%, but I felt better in the morning.

- should I believe the DS numbers?

- more importantly, is feeling better trumping the more negative stats?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Feeling better versus better AHI goal?
I approach it as 2 phases, the first phase is to get the apnea under control, to me this means under the medically accepted value of AHI of 5 or as reasonably close as we can get so MOSTLY about the numbers.

The second phase is fine tuning with a concentration on feeling good, getting the rest you need and dealing with all those nuisance things that bother us and our sleeping, daytime sleepiness, etc.  You will spend far more time in this phase than the first.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
For myself, I'll take feeling better over good AHI numbers any day.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the useful comments.
By the way, the very hectic (to me) night at sleep study came up with a baseline AHI of 19, so at 2.5 under "auto" therapy, I made progress.
Post Reply Post Reply
Neither, RAW EEG data.

Without it you don't really know whats going on when you sleep. Feeling 'worse' in the morning might just be because you got a better quality sleep and your blood pressure dropped lower then you are accustomed to. 

You gotta see if your cognitive performance improved or not. Check your symptoms, are you getting less sleepy less often during the day? etc.

At the end of the day though, all we want from our health is to feel good.
Post Reply Post Reply
With regard to "feeling good", would a casual home blood pressure and oxygen level be done, with consumer-level equipment or electronics?

As Crowtor points out above, I may be off on my reading of how good I feel, with one mode over another.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 13 415 11 hours ago
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Help a noob - low AHI but still feeling tired PeachPhantom 3 138 04-17-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: PeachPhantom
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 314 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 381 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 348 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 842 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  OSCAR pressure readings versus BIPAP display smallhandsfeeding 0 175 02-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.