Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feeling frustrated
Feeling frustrated
Hello...this is all new to me. I started using my machine last Wed and I have yet to have a decent nights sleep. I am using the nasal pillows, size small. The mask is tight and I am still getting a leak reading. 2 nights ago I woke up a couple of times breathing out of my mouth. Last night I felt like I could breathe easier through my nose without the nasal pillows and air going through so I took the machine off at 3:30 in the morning. Did anyone else have this problem? I'm so ready for a good nights sleep. Perhaps I should try a different kind of mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Feeling frustrated
(12-23-2013, 10:55 AM)G8tr33 Wrote: Hello...this is all new to me. I started using my machine last Wed and I have yet to have a decent nights sleep. I am using the nasal pillows, size small. The mask is tight and I am still getting a leak reading. 2 nights ago I woke up a couple of times breathing out of my mouth. Last night I felt like I could breathe easier through my nose without the nasal pillows and air going through so I took the machine off at 3:30 in the morning. Did anyone else have this problem? I'm so ready for a good nights sleep. Perhaps I should try a different kind of mask?
finding the right mask is the hardest part. and, it takes time to adjust to using the machine. you could try a chin strap to see if it keeps your mouth closed and see if it drops your leaks. If your mask is too tight, that can cause leaks (I tightened mine to see what it did and it lifted the cushion off of the bottom of my nose and I barely tightened it). Maybe you can try a nasal mask rather than nasal pillows. Not using your machine isn't a good idea so whatever it takes to keep you from turning it off, try it.
Post Reply Post Reply
G8tr33, it does take time, so hang in there. You wouldn't have been prescribed CPAP therapy if you didn't need it (I'm assuming you had a sleep study of some form done) but it can take time to a) find the right mask like me50 said and b) adjust to therapy itself.

Find what is comfortable for you (either with the pillows or some other form of mask) and stick with it....the machines are able to adjust for some levels of leaks (as long as it's not too much or waking you up, it's livable).

Keep trying...I know it can be hard, but untreated sleep apnea can be a bigger problem for your health.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum. I use nasal pillows size small. What is your leak reading? Anything under 24L/min is acceptable. I have been on therapy for a month and my leak rate fluctuates between 7L/min and 8L/min. I sometimes have air escape through my mouth. I haven't been too concerned because my AHI and leak is low. AHI should be under 5.

If you are being awaken by the air coming from your mouth, as me50 said, you may want to try a chin strap. Also tighter is not always better. When you align the pillows up at night you want to have a good seal. You can kind of feel if it is sealed and also you can check it by holding down the knob on your ResMed machine until you hopefully see a green smiley face. Red frown means you don't have a good seal. Get used to what a good seal feels like and in the night if you can hear and feel a leak and it doesn't feel like it is sealed, lift it slightly off your nostrils then let it settle down and form a seal.

Not getting a good night's sleep isn't uncommon to begin with. And if you are worrying too much or overthinking it, it makes it worse. My first week I felt like I had to lay stiff as a board and not move around too much. It gets easier. It really does! I developed a bit of insomnia where I couldn't get to sleep with the machine on even though I was very tired when I went to bed. After a couple hours I would remove it to get some sleep, then later when I would wake up and groggy, I would put it back on and was able to go to sleep. I had to get some medication to help me get to sleep when I went to bed. It helped me. After that I began sleeping through the night.

I hope things get better for you. Keep at it and keep looking for the right mask to fit your needs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi G8tr33,
The mask is the hardest part of this therapy so don't be shy about asking to try different ones 'till you find the one that works for you.
If you like the mask that you have now, you might try a chinstrap to keep your mouth closed. Another thing, tighter isn't always better, maybe you are tightening your mask too much.
I want to encourage you to stick with CPAP therapy, it does get better.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2013, 10:55 AM)G8tr33 Wrote: I am using the nasal pillows, size small. The mask is tight and I am still getting a leak reading.
Whats the leak rate reading? Mask should be the right size/type and feel comfortable and not to aim for zero reading. Below 24 L/min is okay
Prolong high leak rates may affect the accuracy of the data and sleep quality. Wear the mask with the machine on during the day while reading/watching tv or take an afternoon nap so becomes easier during the night ... practice makes perfect
Reading from LCD can be inflated, does not tell us the duration been at this number, only means, leak was at or below this number for 95% of he time. The software leak graph paint better picture of leak rates through the night. You can download either SleepyHead or Resscan (does not work with Mac computers) software or both
Software download link http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

Chinstrap helps keeps mouth closed and minimize mouth leaks, Its more like a bicycle training wheels, over time you can do without

Post Reply Post Reply
As a nasal pillow user, all the above advice is spot on. Too tight will make it leak. It should really just rest lightly on your face.
It takes a while and for some, longer than others. I've been on it 6 months and still haven't had a "great" night's sleep. But, what sleep I'm getting is better than when I started.
Patience. Really :-)
Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome hosehead Smile

Yes, for many people the first weeks (even months) can be frustrating. Our bodies do not deal well with change it seems.

Depending on how *bad* your OSA is, the machine even with a high leak rate can still be a great help compared to not using it at all. While getting and keeping the leak rate under control IS important, it is less important than simply getting YOU used to using your 'dream machine' during every sleep period.

Sadly, many people may go through 8-15 different masks until they land on one they like and that works for them. A mask I might love, you might hate, and so on...

If mouth breathing is an issue, it boils down to three choices:
Using self-talk, teach yourself to keep your mouth closed (works for some)
Buy and use a chin-strap - some can and some can't, for me it worsens my over-bite too much
Switch to a FFM (Full Face Mask) again, some love them and some hate them. But, the bigger the area, the greater potential for possible leaks.

Right now it seems that nasal masks and nasal/nose pillows are the top two choices.

Most of us have at least one FFM to use just-in-case we have a cold or the like - even if we do not normally like or use one.

Some folks find that 'self-talk' or brain-washing yourself can work (to some degree at least). And there are some that feel it is a total waste of time. Since using your machine every day, every nap is so important to you and I - I believe in trying every possible tool. I do believe that your brain does not know what sarcasm is, or joking, or lying - it'll believe whatever you say. So, the sooner you fall in love with your machine, the sooner your life will get better. To a large degree this has worked for me.

Also, if you have insurance, try to get a new mask as often as they allow, whether you need it or not. Masks aren't cheap, and it may take a bit to find your perfect mask.

You are not alone here, and your issues have happened to most of us. Welcome.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I had that same problem and it took me a couple of months to get it under control. Gonna second everyones advice...chinstrap then full face mask. I also recommend downloading and using some software. It may be that mouth breathing isn't the issue; it may be that you're having a lot of leaks or apnea events you're not aware of.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 825 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 261 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 327 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 309 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 808 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Treatment] 40+ AHI WITH cpap, feeling hopeless Bobblan 10 551 01-24-2024, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,088 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.