Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feeling more tired after a month on CPAP
Feeling more tired after a month on CPAP
Hello All, New Member and first post. My AHI number from the sleep study was 23. I have been using my S9 almost a month now and averaging 6 hours of use a night according to the report. The past week 8 and 9 hours of use, not sleep. I first tried a full face mask and it felt like I was suffocating, tried the nasal mask and it was uncomfortable on my nose and leaked. Now I am using Nasal pillows and they are working fine. I have always slept on my side and could not sleep at all on my back. For the past month I have been trying to sleep on my back because everything I have tried with the CPAP on my side leaks. The problem is I am waking up more frequently during the night than I was before the CPAP and I am very tired during the day. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience getting use to this new way of sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Feeling more tired after a month on CPAP
Sounds like lots of adjusting going on JJordan. I was never able to sleep on my back until I started CPAP. Several days into it using the mask, I tried sleeping on my back and it was wonderful!

I wrestled with the mask for awhile, then went to the pillows. They worked ok, but my leakage was too high, so I decided to give the mask another try. This time rather than cinch it up so tight that I had the feeling it was eating my face, I just applied it gently. It works great. Leakage controllable and I do fine.

I hope you will give your mask another go. And definitely give your back sleeping another try.

The thing about the ResMed is it starts at kind of a low pressure so when you first fire it up you don't think you're getting enough air. Sit quit and know it'll get better soon. If it stays uncomfortable, you can adjust the beginning pressure.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JJordan,
Sometimes, CPAP therapy can take quite a while to get used to.
I encourage you to stick with it, it does get better as your body gets used to this new way of sleeping.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2014, 07:43 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Sounds like lots of adjusting going on JJordan. I was never able to sleep on my back until I started CPAP. Several days into it using the mask, I tried sleeping on my back and it was wonderful!

I wrestled with the mask for awhile, then went to the pillows. They worked ok, but my leakage was too high, so I decided to give the mask another try. This time rather than cinch it up so tight that I had the feeling it was eating my face, I just applied it gently. It works great. Leakage controllable and I do fine.

I hope you will give your mask another go. And definitely give your back sleeping another try.

The thing about the ResMed is it starts at kind of a low pressure so when you first fire it up you don't think you're getting enough air. Sit quit and know it'll get better soon. If it stays uncomfortable, you can adjust the beginning pressure.

Thanks retired_guy, I will stay with it, not going to give up. The pillows are working good and I think I will try the mask again. I have the ramp turned off and the startup is 4 and my average is around 10. I am not sure what is waking me up yet, I was just wondering if anyone else was having a time getting use to this. Thanks again for the reply.
(01-22-2014, 07:51 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi JJordan,
Sometimes, CPAP therapy can take quite a while to get used to.
I encourage you to stick with it, it does get better as your body gets used to this new way of sleeping.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.

Thanks Trish
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JJordan, welcome aboard
Whats the model of your S9, model name printed next to on/off button
If the machine an AutoSet or Elite model, you should also see AHI and leak at the screen sleep report
Everyone is different, I cannot sleep on my back. Sleeping on your side is preferable position than sleeping on your back. As you,re nasal pillows, might a good idea to route the hose upwards so less of a drag. Tez62 might chime in, he does uses some sort of management system
Post Reply Post Reply
Everyone is different. What mask, sleep position, et cetera are unique to each person.
I use a FFM -- start the night on my back -- turn to my left side.
Most everyone is bothered by a setup that leaks.
It does indeed take some time to adjust to xPAP therapy.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the *exact* same experience. Very important to get those leaks sorted out. Have you played with the tightness on the nasal pillows? Mine don't leak when I'm on my side. Maybe try playing around with the straps in the day, then roll around in bed a bit and make sure you can't easily get them to leak. That's what I do.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2014, 08:05 PM)justMongo Wrote: Everyone is different. What mask, sleep position, et cetera are unique to each person.
I use a FFM -- start the night on my back -- turn to my left side.
Most everyone is bothered by a setup that leaks.
It does indeed take some time to adjust to xPAP therapy.

Thanks Mongo
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2014, 08:01 PM)zonk Wrote: Hi JJordan, welcome aboard
Whats the model of your S9, model name printed next to on/off button
If the machine an AutoSet or Elite model, you should also see AHI and leak at the screen sleep report
Everyone is different, I cannot sleep on my back. Sleeping on your side is preferable position than sleeping on your back. As you,re nasal pillows, might a good idea to route the hose upwards so less of a drag. Tez62 might chime in, he does uses some sort of management system
S9 Autoset, my leak last night was 6L, AHI 4.2. , I still must be trying to adjust. It just seems that I'm not sleeping as well as I was before the CPAP.....Thanks Zonk

Post Reply Post Reply
I read about fitting the nasal pillows at the blog below, basically letting them inflate first and then adjusting the straps. The straps are looser and I do not get any leaks when sleeping on my side. It may help you.

http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/swift-f...ing-guide/
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still tired and CA events liebano 0 13 54 minutes ago
Last Post: liebano
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 61 4 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 195 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,974 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 154 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.