Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feeling more tired/groggy after starting treatment - Normal?
Feeling more tired/groggy after starting treatment - Normal?
Hey Gang, I'm a newbie to CPAP therapy after being recently diagnosed with severe apnea (AHI=85). I've recently started CPAP therapy which has helped considerably (AHI of 5 last night). Despite getting more sleep than I normally did pre-therapy, I am waking up feeling groggy/tired and feel like I'm sapped of energy. I feel considerably less energetic now than I did before the therapy. I'm only a couple of days into treatment and hopefully my body just needs to get used to it. After reading about others experiences with starting PAP therapy I had high hopes of waking up feeling invigorated and that's simply not happening. 

Has anyone else experienced something similar? If so, did it get better or worse over the course of continued treatment? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Feeling more tired/groggy after starting treatment - Normal?
Welcome! There are many people here who may be able to help but we will need to SEE your OSCAR charts. You can download OSCAR free at the top of the site.  See how to set up charts in the link in my signature. Post a normal night and someone will help.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2021, 09:18 AM)staceyburke Wrote: Welcome! There are many people here who may be able to help but we will need to SEE your OSCAR charts. You can download OSCAR free at the top of the site.  See how to set up charts in the link in my signature. Post a normal night and someone will help.

Thank you for the warm welcome, it's encouraging to know I'm not alone in this journey. Attached is last night's data (day 2) which was my first full night without experiencing continuous mask issues. I woke once around 1am to re-seal my mask and once around 4am for a bathroom break. I had a recent titration study which revealed my sweet spot for pressure was around an 8 with CFLEX of 3. I set my original pressure range between 6-9 with an EPR of 3 and had an AHI of 15 the first night. I received advice to reduce the EPR to 1 which I did last night and my AHI improved considerably, but still showing 3+ CAs. I welcome any and all suggestions for tonight's session. As I stated in my original post, I woke feeling really groggy/tired and I also had a slight headache which I still have nearly 6 hours later. OSCAR data attached. Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I’m sure you will get other suggestions but I would try pressures of min and max the same with no EPR

MIN 8 max 8 epr0

Also you might have some positional apnea. That is where you cut off your own airway. If you sleep on your back try side sleeping and a thinner pillow.

I don’t see a lot of positional apnea but other nights could be more.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
OK yeah I see what Stacey's doing. Try it to see what happens.

Did you post diagnosic and Titration reports elsewhere on the forum? Do you have these copies? With your current higher CA levels, it would be a great idea to see what those test results were. BTW if you don't have your own copies, get them. HIPAA law permits you to request and receive them. No isn't an acceptable answer from the doc's office.

PS you've typed out some Titration results in another thread, but never actually posted an attached redacted copy of this. There's more info contained there and any diagnostic study info has not been mentioned. There's more data out there that's wanting and that can help us in helping you.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2021, 11:56 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: OK yeah I see what Stacey's doing. Try it to see what happens.

Did you post diagnosic and Titration reports elsewhere on the forum? Do you have these copies? With your current higher CA levels, it would be a great idea to see what those test results were. BTW if you don't have your own copies, get them. HIPAA law permits you to request and receive them. No isn't an acceptable answer from the doc's office.

PS you've typed out some Titration results in another thread, but never actually posted an attached redacted copy of this. There's more info contained there and any diagnostic study info has not been mentioned. There's more data out there that's wanting and that can help us in helping you.

Thank you for the feedback, Stacey and Dave. I haven't posted my sleep study reports elsewhere on the forum, but I've attached my at-home diagnosis study. I should have the titration report within the next week and I'm happy to post that if there's additional information that may be helpful on it. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files
.pdf   Sleep Study - Redacted.pdf (Size: 495.13 KB / Downloads: 9)
Post Reply Post Reply
OK FWIW a few nuggets of info

Effort belt was used so CA reported is likely accurate

Oxygen dropped into the 70s
Quoted from study "minimum observed Oxygen saturation was 74%. The time spent
below an Oxygen Saturation at ~ 90% was 173.2 minute"
That may be significant to your current health and wellness. I'll suggest getting a recording pulse oximeter like a Contec CMS50F or a Wellue ring. We need to discover how far SpO2 is dropping and how long it's down there.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
These other folks are experts, but I can confirm that LOTS of folks feel crummy early on in their pap use. Your body and mind have to get used to this entirely new experience. It WILL get better, and then it will become second nature. Hang in there. You are on the right path.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-15-2021, 12:43 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: OK FWIW a few nuggets of info

Effort belt was used so CA reported is likely accurate

Oxygen dropped into the 70s
Quoted from study "minimum observed Oxygen saturation was 74%. The time spent
below an Oxygen Saturation at ~ 90% was 173.2 minute"
That may be significant to your current health and wellness. I'll suggest getting a recording pulse oximeter like a Contec CMS50F or a Wellue ring. We need to discover how far SpO2 is dropping and how long it's down there.

Dave, thank you for these nuggets, they are most certainly appreciated. Hopefully my O2 is doing better now that I'm on PAP therapy. I've been wanting to monitor my O2 levels since reviewing the at-home study report so I will definitely look into the Contec and Wellue devices. I recently learned that I can get a free iWatch 6 through my insurance carrier (as long as I meet certain fitness goals over 6 months) and I was leaning towards that for the O2 monitoring. Do you have any intel on using an iWatch for Oxygen monitoring? Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not familiar with it but don't let that stop you from getting it. If insurance is offering it, OK then I'd consider doing it.

Let me look that item up and edit this post. I'm curious about it.

OK an edit, this iWatch 6 is interesting. It shows SpO2 data, supposedly accurate enough for your purposes. The only possible negative is in not sure if OSCAR can import the data. BUT that doesn't mean you won't be about to show us oxygen data, it's just maybe not integrated into an OSCAR shot.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 167 6 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 39 10 hours ago
Last Post: TiredTim
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 204 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 415 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.