Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feeling worse after a month with CPAP
RE: Feeling worse after a month with CPAP
(05-08-2014, 10:13 AM)CHanlon Wrote:
(05-08-2014, 10:06 AM)cheesehead91182 Wrote:
(05-08-2014, 09:54 AM)CHanlon Wrote: Oh of course you have control over the settings. You just don't know it yet.

Remember, this is *your* health, not his, you pay him for his services, he's not doing you a favour. If you'er not happy with the results so far, then he's going to need to adjust to you needs, not the other way around. Suggest, politely, that you'd like to actually use the APAP in the manner it was intended - automatic adjusting. Tell him it's not working for you, you feel worse, and if that's all you're getting, the whole thing is an exercise in futility.

I told him I feel worse and that I'm waking up more times at night. He said from the data he got form the machine the Apnea is under control so there is no to adjust the setting.

Personally, and for myself... I'd change it myself. In fact, I have... often. Of course, I can't advise you to do the same, but I did, and then I printed out my results and took them to my sleep MD... and showed him I was right.

How do you change it? I assumed I couldn't change it myself
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2014, 10:23 AM)cheesehead91182 Wrote:
(05-08-2014, 10:13 AM)CHanlon Wrote:
(05-08-2014, 10:06 AM)cheesehead91182 Wrote: I told him I feel worse and that I'm waking up more times at night. He said from the data he got form the machine the Apnea is under control so there is no to adjust the setting.

Personally, and for myself... I'd change it myself. In fact, I have... often. Of course, I can't advise you to do the same, but I did, and then I printed out my results and took them to my sleep MD... and showed him I was right.

How do you change it? I assumed I couldn't change it myself

Might not be able to - I don't know that specific machine, or if it can be locked to keep us from tampering. One of the reasons I got my specific machine is that I had the clinicians manuals and software for it, so that I can manage it myself.

I'm sure that someone here will know, though.

Post Reply Post Reply
Something else you may consider. Is to have your testosterone checked. I was getting the same results with my CPAP therapy. I was down to .78 AHI and still had no energy. Sleep MD kept changing stuff and nothing helped. Finally went to my family MD about it and he had blood work done. Results were I had low testosterone. thought he was crazy but when the number are in your face hard to brush it off. I bring this up cause your profiles has your gender as Male. And your issues sound exactly like the ones I was having with the low energy. And if you think you are too young for low testosterone I am only 29. It my not be the issue but it may give you a good starting point. Especially since the MD is saying the CPAP is working. Just keep up with your CPAP therapy as one will not fix the other.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2014, 10:39 AM)darkcat Wrote: Something else you may consider. Is to have your testosterone checked. I was getting the same results with my CPAP therapy. I was down to .78 AHI and still had no energy. Sleep MD kept changing stuff and nothing helped. Finally went to my family MD about it and he had blood work done. Results were I had low testosterone. thought he was crazy but when the number are in your face hard to brush it off. I bring this up cause your profiles has your gender as Male. And your issues sound exactly like the ones I was having with the low energy. And if you think you are too young for low testosterone I am only 29. It my not be the issue but it may give you a good starting point. Especially since the MD is saying the CPAP is working. Just keep up with your CPAP therapy as one will not fix the other.

Ok, I might try that. I haven't had a physical in like 2 years so maybe I will look into that.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can view your data, too. Download SleepyHead. You can find out how here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-software

You can also get the clinician manual to your machine which tells you how to change your pressure:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
I suggest you read the entire article in that link.

Once you get the manual and you decide what you want to do, read this:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...re-on-cpap

And you've not had a physical in 2yrs? Sheesh. Get to your GP. Get a physical. Tell him/her what is going on and that you want to rule out anything else that could be causing the same symptoms.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I agree with going to your Medical Doctor and having a full medical and blood work done. Tell him your symptoms and that your Apneas are under control.
Then you can take it from there.
Also do you take any medications at all? If so they could be playing a part in making you drowsy in the daytime. I am just finding out that is my problem after ticking everything else off the list.
Good luck, you are only young and shouldn't have to put up with feeling like this.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-07-2014, 12:57 PM)cheesehead91182 Wrote: As for the doctor I originally thought he was treating me so I wouldn't be tired all the time but it looks like he is satisfied with the sleep Apnea being under control. Now they also have me seeing a sleep therapist and he said working with her should help, however when I saw her previously she thought the CPAP would fix everything.

For some of us it takes more than a month to start feeling less sleepy during the day. For me, after one month had passed I was getting less sleep, not more. The CPAP machine, hose, and mask, and pressure were hard to get used to. There were at least some days when I felt better, but I had lots of days when I felt worse.

I think seeing the sleep doctor again is a good idea. She can likely prescribe something for you, such as trazodone, which will help you get over this hump and get back to more normal sleep patterns.

I also think she was right when she told you the CPAP would fix everything. It's just that it'll take time. Patience is required. And perseverance. Whatever you do, don't stop using the CPAP machine. And don't cheat by sleeping or napping without it. You need to send the right signals to your brain: The CPAP machine is here to stay.

You'll have a better quality of life, and you'll live longer.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2014, 07:24 PM)Sleepster Wrote: And don't cheat by sleeping or napping without it. You need to send the right signals to your brain: The CPAP machine is here to stay.

That's absolutely great advice...... I'm even looking for a machine that can run off the 12V in the car. That way if I ever do fall asleep behind the wheel again at least I'll have my mask on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just for what its worth, I too am a mouth breather and for the past many many may months have not been doing well with my mask or machine although I knew I would not give up, I just hadn't yet reached a stage where I had the right mask, etc so i was using my machine and mask to fall asleep but 2-3 hours later, waking up with a dry mouth that felt as if it were full of cotton wool and i would turn it off and go back to sleep.

I had been given a Full Face mask but as a mouth breather, it just wasn't working for me.

Last night i tried a new mask, a nasal mask only so it doesn't cover my face and I had a few moments of feeling claustrophobic when I opened my mouth and would try to breathe, I felt as if i could not breathe from my nose and wasn't sure it was going to work.
For some reason I heard my body tell myself that i needed to get rid of the second pillow so I would be lying flat, rather than with my chin closer to my chest as one gets into that position with a second pillow and thats the last thing i remember. As I did that i turned off the TV to try and sleep but I seemed to go out immediately or i don't remember anything but for the first night I slept through for the full 8 hours and actually woke up with my mouth closed, still breathing though my nose.

I just wrote about it in another thread but if all else fails, you may also want to possibly try a nasal mask.........
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I went and saw my sleep therapist on Friday and she seems to think that I have sleep brain, where my brain is just tired all the time. She wants to give me some medication to keep me awake during the day.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 247 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 184 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 595 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 154 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 330 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 261 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.