Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fell off the wagon but back on now.
Fell off the wagon but back on now.
Had a long lasting head cold / sinus / coughing thing going on this year, it lasted probably two months. Never had one this long before.

For a few days I couldn't use my machine at all - sore throat, mouth breathing which made the sore throat worse, sinus infection that got worse with the air pressure and humidity. I think the sore throat might have been making it harder to get a seal too.

After the cold got a little better (but not done yet), I just didn't start up the machine again. I seemed to feel ok, and I didn't want to take a chance on making the cold worse again.

But after a couple of weeks, I realized I was feeling really tired during the day. I wasn't waking up gasping at night, but I must have been getting interrupted a lot anyway.

So three nights ago I started up again. After 18 nights of no cpap.

Huge difference in how I feel during the day. 1.9 AHI the first two nights and 4.4 last night. Still showing a lot of leaks on the graph, but feeling much better, so I kind of don't care about the leaks... Smile

I went from barely getting through the afternoon (and snacking constantly) to waking up refreshed and getting through the day with no problem.

I don't know what I'll do if I get a bad long-running cold like that again, but I know I won't go 18 days straight with no cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fell off the wagon but back on now.
Glad to hear that you are feeling better. I've been without a Cpap for 8 days and am already suffering.

I got my Airsense today and that was one of the things we went over. I totally love nasal pillows, but could see it being a problem if I got a sinus infection, which I do tend to get with colds. So we went over some options for full face masks, should that come up. Of course, if it comes up before I'm eligible to get another mask paid for, I will be buying it online. Anyway, I bring this up because there are some sales going on with some of the online suppliers. Maybe you can get a full mask for the next cold.
Post Reply Post Reply
I caught the bugs too, even had the flu jab last month
I done the sinus rinse, put the climate control on auto and did manage over 6 hours , waking up 4 times

AHI 2.9 (normally below 0.5) most of events scored in the beginning of each session as trying to get comfortable and adjusting the mask

Full face mask has never worked for me
I put my nasal mask on, sinus rinse and the warm air does the trick so can breathe through my nose and get some sleep

Post Reply Post Reply
You pick up something in Brasil?
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2015, 08:27 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: You pick up something in Brasil?

No the sinus problem was the worst before I went. It had mostly cleared up before I went, with mainly a hacking nagging cough that seemed to go on all day. When I was in Brazil (Brasil) Smile I was better than I had been in weeks.

As soon as I got back, that night, I had an extremely bad leaky night on the cpap, and a terrible sore throat the next morning. That's when I stopped. With the sore throat I couldn't keep a seal even while still awake while trying to get to sleep.

The sinus problem was still 90% gone but the cough was back and I had my best Barry White voice going for 2 weeks. Seems I am finally mostly back to normal. My regular voice is back. Still the occasional cough.

Was interesting that the problem went away while I was in Brazil. I'm told this TN valley area is one of the worst for allergies. Stuff accumulates in the valley and doesn't clear out.

Post Reply Post Reply
Wo thats a longggg plane ride with a bad head!
The Great Miami River Valley from a little north of Dayton down to the Ohio River is known locally as "Sinus Valley Ohio" so I truly understand. Caribbean was great with the Trade winds except during Sahara sand storm season. My sinus probs have very much reduced with pap therapy.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Worn_out_in_Lebanon,
The Indians didn't call the Tennessee Valley "Death Valley" for no reason! The long growing season, lots of rain, and sitting down in this bowl of a valley gives us a triple whammy! Flonase, Zyrtec, and Sudafed are my best friends!!

Blowing-nose
Starr
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,956 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 514 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 930 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 396 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 293 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 539 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 233 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.