Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Felt amazing on first night of therapy, but regular after that
Felt amazing on first night of therapy, but regular after that
I didn't use cpap for 2 years (couldn't fall asleep with it) and only recently got back to using it ( from 7/9/21).

The first night where I got significant time of therapy (5 hours) I felt AMAZING. Whereas I require 10-9 hours of sleep a day and have difficulty waking up, I only slept at total of 6.5 hours that night and felt FIRED UP when I woke up. I had so much energy I was just pacing back and forth in the house for the first 30 mins of the morning.

I kept using the mask up until now (a week) but every other day just felt like a normal day. 10-9 hours of sleep, and difficulty waking up. Weird thing is that I have been getting more hours of therapy on the following days, and have been getting up much less during the night for peeing/tinkering with the mask.

Why is restorative sleep eluding me so much? I recall a period in the past (2019, 2018) when I would routinely need 7 hours of sleep and wake up restorative every day (when I used the mask). Why can't I repeat that?

My data:
9/7/21 , 1:02 therapy hours, 2 central apneas / 1 obstructive apneas per hour, pressure demand 5hpa, leakage NA
10/7/21 , 2:39 therapy hours,   1 central apneas / 0 obstructive apneas per hour, pressure demand 6.5hpa, leakage 1%
11/7/21 , 6:19 therapy hours,  2 central apneas / 0 obstructive apneas per hour, pressure demand 8hpa, leakage 14%
12/7/21 , 7:17 therapy hours,  5 central apneas / 1 obstructive apneas per hour, pressure demand 8.5hpa, leakage 7%
13/7/21 , 4:18 therapy hours,  6 central apneas / 0 obstructive apneas per hour, pressure demand 8.5hpa, leakage NA
14/7/21 , (forgot to attach sd card before sleeping so no data. but approx 7 hrs of therapy)

My last sleep study at my current weight:

pRDI 27.5 (REM), 16 (NREM), 18.2 (all night)
pAHI 13.2 (REM), 6 (NREM), 7.4 (all night)
ODI 7.7 (REM), 1.8 (NREM), 3(all night)

Oxygen desaturation:
Mean: 94, Minimum: 88, Maximum: 98
Mean of desaturations Nadirs: 93 %
Oxygen desatur 4-9%: 14 events
Oxygen desatur 10-20%: 0 events
Oxygen desatur 20>%: 0 events
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Felt amazing on first night of therapy, but regular after that
I'm not certain why you're not repeating the one night that felt great. But 2 things do stand out. There's a few Central Apnea that are showing up, in their consistently inconsistent way. But I don't think this is at a level to be much of a hindrance. Taking a few years off therapy is an issue though. You cannot make up for 2 years off and all the undiagnosed time before you started PAP therapy the first time in one night. Almost nobody with Apnea recovers in one good therapy night. It will take time to get the therapy tuned for you and time to recover.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lanners - Therapy Help Lanners 23 939 1 hour ago
Last Post: Lanners
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 840 6 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,084 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,271 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,367 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.