Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ff masks and beards
Ff masks and beards
My cousin has a huge full beard. Which Full face mask works with a beard if any?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ff masks and beards
Lukie, I don't have a beard but some people say FFMs don't work very well with beards, I think it's like everything else CPAP unfortunately he may have to try different ones till he gets it right.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think there are members here with beards that can help you. I have a hard time understanding how ffm would work without a lot of leaks with those that have beards, especially with big, full beards. Since I am not one of them, I would have to defer this to those that do
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal pillows would be the obvious choice but if full face mask is a must, depend on the the shape/size of the beard. I've come across people with beards using different styles of full face masks and some uses a mask liner
Beside the usual suspects (Quattro/Quattro FX, Mirage Liberty (hybrid), Simplus, Comfort Gel), there are couple of options ... F&P 431/432 (goes under the chin) and FitLife (total face mask). Oracle oral mask (delivers pressure through the mouth rather than the nose)

Definitely there are choices, matter of trial and error to figure what works and what don,t, everyone is different

Post Reply Post Reply
I wear a 'short' beard here, and I use a plain 'Quattro' as my FFM of choice. But that said, I am trying to get used to a set of nose pillows because of my beard.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a mustache / goatee and I use a Mirage Quattro. I have to really tighten down the lower straps to make a go of it. Due to the size of the mask I have an occasional major leakage problem (once a week I knock it around in my sleep). For the most part it does pretty well for me. I would love to be able to use a nasal mask but I have never been able to breathe fully from my nose so a ffm is a must for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only face mask I've tried is the Mirage Quattro. I had problems with it, but not due to my beard.

(12-09-2013, 06:09 PM)Lukie Wrote: My cousin has a huge full beard. Which Full face mask works with a beard if any?

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a full beard and moustache and quite narrow nostrils. I need a pressure of 8 and use a Respironics Easylife nasal mask with a chin strap. My unintentional leaks are close to zero. This setup was provided after trialling a range of full face masks which leaked quite badly. My setup might not work with high pressures. Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi peewee44, WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a FF Quattro and a beard. I find that once at full pressure I pull the mask out a little and it seems to "blow up" the
silicone edge. When I reseat it on my face at that point any leaks stop. Fyi my beard is trimmed to about one inch. Clean shaven
does make things a good deal simpler and more reliable though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 344 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 219 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 409 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 495 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed masks with magnets and coronary stents stillaliveca 0 454 12-19-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: stillaliveca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.