Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

An example of mask differences
An example of mask differences
I have tried many nasal masks over the years but they all had the same problem: leaking at the top that went into my eyes.

I have used nasal pillows nearly all of my CPAP journey. I started out with the Breeze, which I loved. Due to my idiotic DME, I have used several different nasal pillow masks, each with their own idiosyncrasies (noise level, comfort, cleaning ease and lack thereof) until they once again started carrying the Breeze and I got my first love back.

Then I got the S9 Escape and learned about EPR. After I got the Autoset and could view the data, I messed around some with EPR and found that I did best with an EPR setting of 2. Even with EPR off, I adjusted to it after just a few nights while wearing the Breeze.

Recently, again due to my DME, I am no longer using the Breeze but switched back to the Swift LT. At first, I couldn't remember why I didn't really like it but after the third night, I remembered. I disliked it because I could not breathe out or in well enough with it. It was why I stopped using the ramp. I feel smothered when I first lay down. I have to keep taking the mask off to get air then put it back on. Repeat repeat until I finally fall asleep only to wake up several times a night and go through it again. The main reason I continued to do it is it was the quietest of them all.

This time around I am a wee bit smarter about how my machine worked. I turned the EPR up to 3. I figured if that did not work well enough, I would increase the lower number until it reached something I could literally sleep with. But the change "fixed" it. There's a few nights where I have to remove the mask a moment or two but it's usually when my nose is stuffy.

But why the difference between these two very similar masks? I have no clue. But it is a reminder to us that no two masks within the same type are actually the same. By empowering ourselves, we learn how to adapt to our ever changing environment. Different masks, different altitudes, different machines, all that. As we seem to say very often here, no two nights are the same, there are just too many variables. Being empowered and educated, we can narrow those variables down or at least figure out what they are.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: An example of mask differences
Paula

You and al of us need to learn to stand up for what we want and need. The DMEs work for us, as do the insurance companies. We need to learn to fight through all their silly red tape until they get tired of us and give us what we need.
I am just starting my third round in the battle. If it does not succeed I may go straight to Medicare to complain.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,636 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
Question Any differences between CPAP machines? Magnuum 7 918 10-06-2022, 11:02 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,318 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  5 versions of ResMed AirCurve 10....what's the differences? jdelcore71 5 1,065 06-09-2022, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Labromaniac
  [News] OXIMETERS -- RACIAL DIFFERENCES srlevine1 0 491 06-02-2022, 06:39 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,883 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  CMS50I-CMS50F oximeters: technical and uploading differences and limits 2SleepBetta 16 3,519 11-19-2021, 02:30 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.