Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Filter sucked inside Resmed Airsense 10 !!
Filter sucked inside Resmed Airsense 10 !!
I just checked the air filter in my  CPAP Resmed Airsense 10 and did not find it in the housing !!   Apparently , it might have been sucked inside the blower . A month ago, I noticed some funny noise from the machine for about 20 seconds then it was back to normal again . Now on hindsight, I suspected the noisei might indicate the filter being pushed through the blower .
I did not notice anything unusual in the water tub in the following days . The machine works perfectly up to now .  My questions are:

1) Where does the filter go ?  Is there a possibility it was broken up by the blade of the blower into micro dusk & ended up in my lungs already ?

2) I wonder if I should open up the machine and find out what happened to the filter or remove it ? It looks easy, just a few screws  .
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Filter sucked inside Resmed Airsense 10 !!
I highly doubt that the filter could have been sucked into the machine. More than likely someone just forgot to put one in.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2018, 10:11 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: I highly doubt that the filter could have been sucked into the machine. More than likely someone just forgot to put one in.

I shared the filters with a friend who ordered them from ebay . I do not know if it may be the reason it being sucked in . But I am absolutely sure I  did put the filter in the machine !
Post Reply Post Reply
A previous machine of mine would not keep the filter in place, almost like it was spitting it out. I would find it on the floor. I finally held it in place with a rubber band. If you haven't done so, install a new filter and watch it closely. You can't trust those little rascals.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2018, 01:42 PM)stanleydean Wrote: A previous machine of mine would not keep the filter in place, almost like it was spitting it out. I would find it on the floor. I finally held it in place with a rubber band. If you haven't done so, install a new filter and watch it closely. You can't trust those little rascals.

Stan

Your machine  seems likely a better desgin than RedMed Airsense 10; At least, the filter ends up on the floor  !As for the filter in the ResMed CPAP, it is kept in place by a snap-in plastic door and has nowhere to go but sucked inside the machine and into the user's lung !! Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
I just tested my AirSense 10 at 20cm with a standard resmed filter. There is no way the machine can suck in a standard filter. You would have to jam it into the machine with your finger and even than I don't think you could get it to fit. I don't know what you used for a filter but it wasn't made for the Airsense 10.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
The filter I used fits the air filter chamber exactly . But you could be right that it may not be the genuine  ResMed air filter . Overtime, under constant suction every nights over 6 months or more, it is entirely feasible for the " knock-off" getting  softer  and  prone to be sucked in the machine air blower . Thanks for the comment and testing on your machine.

I wonder if anyone reading this thread has experience opening up the machine cover and looking inside ?
Post Reply Post Reply
IF (and that is a big "if") it were to get sucked into the blower, it would be noisy, but it would not get chopped up by the fan blades. Worst case it would be blown into the humidifier... probably get stuck in the tube and never even make it into the water.
It absolutely did not end up in your lungs. I've used cheap Ebay and Amazon filters and they are simply more flexible than the ResMed filters, but they wont get pulled in.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 24 448 33 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,808 5 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 118 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,616 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,805 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.