Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Filter thickness and replacing frequency
Filter thickness and replacing frequency
Hi

I ordered some filters for my machine (Resmed S9) on Amazon, after reading that people were changing filters every few weeks, instead of what my technician recommended (every 6 months). The filters that arrived seem to be thinner than the ones that I got with the machine. I read somewhere that some people use 2 filters because they're thin. Should I do this? Or use only one? Does it matter?

(BTW, when the new filters arrived I replaced the old one, which had been there a couple of months. It was dark gray... Oh-jeez ugh.... . How often should I be changing them?)

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Filter thickness and replacing frequency
I suggest changing filters monthly unless you're in a very dusty area. I don't know specifics on the ResMed 9 series machines.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2020, 02:14 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I suggest changing filters monthly unless you're in a very dusty area. I don't know specifics on the ResMed 9 series machines.

Thanks. I live on a building site. You can't imagine the amount of dust. I guess I should change every week or two....
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Benzi,
As far as I recall, the recommended frequency for filter replacement in the S9s is monthly.  I have seen posts about use of 2 filters, but I seem to recall that being needed on some Respironics units.  Yes, I have also seen a color change between used and new filters.

Hope this helps.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
DreamStations have two filters that have blue plastic frames that snap onto one another. There's what I call a pre-filter and then the second stage filter. ResMed 9s have a filter similar to my ASV 10s I think. It's just a white filter material rectangle with no frame and a single thickness.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When mine are dirty (which is very rare), all I do is wash them. Some hot water and a drop or two of liquid soap, and they come out looking like new. 

I just give them a bit of a finger massage. The entire process is maybe 1 minute tops. Pat it dry and then allow it to further air dry for an hour or so. 

My filters just don't get all that dirty. Not even enough to change color. These aren't hi-tech filters. They are there to protect the machine, not the user. They keep out lint, dust, pet dander, bits & pieces of this & that, etc. 

I replace my machine's filter once a year or so. It gets washed maybe 2-3 times per year.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2020, 03:00 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: DreamStations have two filters that have blue plastic frames that snap onto one another. There's what I call a pre-filter and then the second stage filter. ResMed 9s have a filter similar to my ASV 10s I think. It's just a white filter material rectangle with no frame and a single thickness.

What I am asking is: there is one slot for a filter. The replacement filters (white filter material rectangle with no frame) I bought are thinner than the original filters. If I insert 2 filters, am I causing any damage to the machine or spoiling its effect? Can it make it harder for me to breathe? 

And is there a down side to using only one thin filter?
Post Reply Post Reply
The motor will just draw more power and work harder. If you live on a construction site, why not get a whole air filtration unit for the whole house, I recon it will be cheaper in the long run rather than replacing the small filters from the cpap, these clog really fast.

I recommend an IQAir system with one H13 filter, one pre filter and one VOC filter(new materials outgass some nasty stuff). You can set it up that it takes air from the outside through a tube and blows in cleaned air inside the house or you can just put it in the corner and it will clean the air as is. You can do that or just get only their filters (about $500 for all 3 of them) and get an AC fan for $50 and make your own air filtration. The filters last at least a year, with the construction site you might need to change the pre filter twice a year.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2020, 05:06 AM)ardenum Wrote: The motor will just draw more power and work harder. If you live on a construction site, why not get a whole air filtration unit for the whole house, I recon it will be cheaper in the long run rather than replacing the small filters from the cpap, these clog really fast.

I recommend an IQAir system with one H13 filter, one pre filter and one VOC filter(new materials outgass some nasty stuff). You can set it up that it takes air from the outside through a tube and blows in cleaned air inside the house or you can just put it in the corner and it will clean the air as is. You can do that or just get only their filters (about $500 for all 3 of them) and get an AC fan for $50 and make your own air filtration. The filters last at least a year, with the construction site you might need to change the pre filter twice a year.

You mean that using 2 thin filters instead of one thicker filter will cause the motor to work harder? But the amount of air that goes into my nose will stay the same?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2020, 06:03 AM)Benzi Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 05:06 AM)ardenum Wrote: The motor will just draw more power and work harder. If you live on a construction site, why not get a whole air filtration unit for the whole house, I recon it will be cheaper in the long run rather than replacing the small filters from the cpap, these clog really fast.

You mean that using 2 thin filters instead of one thicker filter will cause the motor to work harder? But the amount of air that goes into my nose will stay the same?

Same pressure, negligibly work harder.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 834 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 116 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  ResMed S10 Air Filter Options MoreBeers 9 1,874 12-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
Wink Replacing filter fiber in N30i and P30i QuietAir vents - possible! PurpleOx 2 3,179 08-16-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Konomoose
  [Equipment] cleaning the filter on a nasal mask msherman1000 3 909 06-23-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH
Question Large size nasal pillow causing higher frequency of CAs? SwirlySauce 3 576 03-24-2023, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Adding a true HEPA filter to APAP for california wild fire smoke Stom 25 5,804 03-23-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: JLRINCT

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.