Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Filters
Filters
I was told by DME to change the ResMed filter twice a month.
All this Cpap stuff is ridiculously priced.
I am going to go find a furnace filter that looks like the same material and spend $15 and cut out about a hundred of these little rectangles.
Has anyone found a cheap way to replace their filter?
Or is there anything wrong with my idea?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Filters
Twice a year is more like it, unless you live in an exceptionally dusty environment. I just changed mine after 6 months and it was visibly slightly grey, but not really dirty. I wouldn't use anything other than the genuine article for fear of upsetting the machine's calibration (which may be an unfounded fear...).
Post Reply Post Reply
Your idea is interesting, but I would be afraid of using the wrong filter on an $800.00 machine.

Insurance sends me 2 filters per month. I change mine only once a month, and there is a visible difference if comparing the filter I replace with a new one.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2016, 09:06 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Twice a year is more like it, unless you live in an exceptionally dusty environment. I just changed mine after 6 months and it was visibly slightly grey, but not really dirty. I wouldn't use anything other than the genuine article for fear of upsetting the machine's calibration (which may be an unfounded fear...).

That wouldn't be bad, but they charged me $13 per filter and said twice a month. I just looked a few minutes ago and found them for about $5 on Amazon.
Once a month at that price is okay.
I probably should take your advice and use the real filter.

Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
I took the filter out of my Airsense 10, and it indeed did look a little grey-ish after 3 months nightly use. I blew it out with compressed air (laid it against a window screen to keep it flat) and then washed it out with warm water and liquid hand soap. After it dried, it looked like new. I will probably do that every 3 months or so, and get a new one after a year, since i don't get any freebies.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2016, 09:35 AM)Snowbird47 Wrote: I took the filter out of my Airsense 10, and it indeed did look a little grey-ish after 3 months nightly use. I blew it out with compressed air (laid it against a window screen to keep it flat) and then washed it out with warm water and liquid hand soap. After it dried, it looked like new. I will probably do that every 3 months or so, and get a new one after a year, since i don't get any freebies.

I don't get freebies either. If I order from my DME, I still pay 20%.
Sometimes can find then on line a little cheaper, but yes, its all expensive.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may consider doing it my way, it works very well:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...suggestion
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2016, 09:29 AM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 09:06 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Twice a year is more like it, unless you live in an exceptionally dusty environment. I just changed mine after 6 months and it was visibly slightly grey, but not really dirty. I wouldn't use anything other than the genuine article for fear of upsetting the machine's calibration (which may be an unfounded fear...).

That wouldn't be bad, but they charged me $13 per filter and said twice a month. I just looked a few minutes ago and found them for about $5 on Amazon.
Once a month at that price is okay.
I probably should take your advice and use the real filter.

Thanks.

Charging $13.00 per filter is robbery. Amazon is reasonable, and a few online supplies have reasonable prices too.
Don't buy from your DME!
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2016, 09:42 AM)surferdude2 Wrote: You may consider doing it my way, it works very well:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...suggestion

surferdude2,
Thanks for that link. It seems like a good idea if the material is the same.
Sometimes we have to do whatever it takes, because CPAP Therapy doesn't come cheap. We just need to be sure we aren't doing harm to our machines.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Yes, thanks Surferdude2 for the link
I think I will try that.
My machine is rented, so I think I will save the one bought filter I have left and stick it back in the machine when I return it or have problems.
The place I worked before had a HP 60" printer, and they had a warranty. But the warranty said you have to use genuine HP paper which was 3 times the cost of an off brand. When we had to call for service we replaced cheap paper with the one HP paper we kept just for that reason.
Same concept with my filter.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 85 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 836 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] Cleaning filters bookwyrmtoo 2 395 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 filters mmrams13 32 9,467 09-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: turbo
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 828 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman
  DreamStation 2 Filters & DME's StratCat48 2 508 04-19-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
Question [Equipment] Who sells ResMed's AirSense 10 HypoAllergenic filters most cheaply, for Canada? StackExchange 1 526 12-03-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.