Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP with a cold
RE: CPAP with a cold
I have completed 5 days of extra puffers, prednisone and antibiotics, so I have been wondering why I am not feeling better yet. I am wondering if this is turning into pneumonia. I saw the Dr yesterday and called back today.
Interestingly my AHI has been down to 0.3 a couple of times since I have been on the prednisone. Not sure if there's a connection there. It is usually 2.9 to 3.8 so I am doing OK overnight but breathless on exertion during the day.
I really want to feel better for the holidays next week!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2012, 08:48 PM)Suzanne Wrote: Interestingly my AHI has been down to 0.3 a couple of times since I have been on the prednisone. Not sure if there's a connection there. It is usually 2.9 to 3.8 so I am doing OK overnight but breathless on exertion during the day.
I really want to feel better for the holidays next week!

Suzanne,

It doesn't sound like CPAP is making you worse, with your AHI so low it's helping, too bad long-term prednisone use will cause bloating.

Your breathing might benefit from increasing your humidity setting.

Hopefully, if the Mayan calendar is wrong, we'll actually have holiday's next week, I've gotta start my shopping if Saturday actually arrives! Laugh-a-lot

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
It does sound like your oxygen levels are low while awake. Not uncommon with any lung/airway issue.

Does your doc check your blood O2 when you visit?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Paula,
My family doctor doesn't. The respirologist does, but I don't usually get to see him when I am sick.
Is it possible to have low apnea numbers at the same time as low oxygen levels?
Suzanne
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2012, 09:40 PM)Suzanne Wrote: Is it possible to have low apnea numbers at the same time as low oxygen levels?
Suzanne

It would be unusual, the only true way of knowing would be to wear an oximeter while you sleep

More likely is what Paula said, it might be low while you're awake, usually caused by shallow-breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a chronic lung condition, sometimes you will need supplemental oxygen at night. Even though you're having few events, the O2 is low to being with so even the smallest event will cause a much bigger drop. But that would stop as soon as you woke up because then the events would stop.

If you are going to the GP for your next visit, ask if they have an oximeter. It would be beneficial to see what your O2 is during the day.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that the humidifier in the CPAP machine works wonders for upper respiratory infections. Whenever I have congestion I crank mine up to the highest setting.

Another thing that is often mentioned, but all too often ignored, is the NeilMed sinus rinse kit. Before this little wonder came out doctors instructed us to use a bulb syringe to irrigate our sinuses. If squirting water into your nose is absolutely out of the question, consider the neti pot.

I just got back from a late night run to the drug store to buy a new humidifier for the bedroom. My wife has a really bad cold, we just hit a spell of unusually dry air, and the old one we had finally bit the dust. I paid $35 for this little beauty. It's compact and quiet. You can see the stream of vapor shooting out. I suspect my CPAP humidifier tank will stay full tonight.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2012, 01:22 AM)Sleepster Wrote: If squirting water into your nose is absolutely out of the question, consider the neti pot.

Neti Pot video:

http://www.apneaboard.com/Neti_pot.htm

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 535 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 877 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  High pressures causing/worsening cold symptoms Chalkie 4 819 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  BiPAP advisable with a cold? BobbieM 10 1,234 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue AlwaysTired2018 5 882 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question When I snooze my alarm, wake up groggy and have high SpO2 100% with hands cold. MyronH 1 945 02-22-2020, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.