Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Filters for S9
Filters for S9
Where can I get filters in bulk? There has to be a source somewhere. I've been washing mine and rotating them out. I think new ones may be better than washing used ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Filters for S9
unifilter makes it.
BF-4 universal filter foam in sheets 12" X 16" X 3/8"

60 ppi black fine foam.

I think amazon sells it too.
That should be good for several years worth for just a few $$.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Some do wash S9 filters, ResMed say S9 air filters are disposable and not washable also to replace every 6 months or more often if necessary
I get 12 the pack and replace the air filter every month
50 pack works out cheaper per filter but cost more, check ebay, amazon and "Supplier List" for the prices
Supplier List (some offer free shipping) http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Post Reply Post Reply
Shastzi, I don't have foam filters. I have a white, polyester type filter. Will foam filters work better?
Post Reply Post Reply
I get the generic "store brand" ones from Supplier #4. Standard filters are $1.99 for a 2 pack, Hypos are $2.19 for a 2 pack. Shipping will drive that price up though, unless you have something else to order and it brings the total up to $99 - then shipping is free. One time, a few months ago, I found the best price on something else I needed was there, so I stocked up on hypo filters too as the shipping was free. I'm all set for a few years now at least. I like the filters and think they are as good as OEM, but others may disagree.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2013, 09:30 PM)Regular Joe Wrote: Shastzi, I don't have foam filters. I have a white, polyester type filter. Will foam filters work better?

I started out with those white filters too.
Then i checked the pore size by holding it up to a bright light....
mmmhmm...Very Interesting!
The foam filter works fine for me. I wash it every 2-3weeks and rotate it out with another one so I don't have to wait for the wet one to dry out.

I used the old white filter for a cutting pattern now.

Since a package of 2 filters is $17 including shipping....yes I am saving a
good bit of Ramein Noodle Money each year!

Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2013, 10:31 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Since a package of 2 filters is $17 including shipping....yes I am saving a good bit of Ramein Noodle Money each year!

Back when I was using the PRS1 I never had need of anything more than the foam filter. I washed it out every couple of months and the water was never dirty.

Then one day an electronic item that I ordered from Amazon arrived. The foam packing looked identical. I have a very powerful magnifying glass, so I peered carefully. As far as I could tell the structures were exactly the same. So I used the existing foam filter as a template and used my electric carving knife to make more filters. Using my mouth I blew through the original and the homemade ones, and I couldn't detect any difference.

And I don't know why I even bothered because if all you need is the foam filter, one filter will last a very long time. Just wash it out and put it back in the machine. I never even bothered to dry it - it will be dry in a couple minutes with the flow of air through it as soon as I turn the machine on.

I bet I am even cheaper than you are. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
So the Foam option from Amazon doesn't restrict flow or allow to much penetration based on the manufacturers specs? This would be good to know for those of us buried in co-pays for everything!
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed uses a single white fiber filter. You can get either a regular or a hypoallergenic filter. It should be replaced every 6 months. No cleaning is needed.

Respironics gray foam filters should be washed every two weeks and replaced every 6 months. The optional white filter should be replaced every month.

Some people get the wrong idea about CPAP filters. The filters are there to protect the machine, not the user. A dirty filter will not harm the user until it gets so clogged that the machine overheats or can't suck enough air through the filter to do the job. A dirty air filter actually produces cleaner air than a clean new filter. The extra dust piled up on the dirty side of the filter is a very effective dust filter. The reason you need to change the filter is that it starts restricting air flow and the blower in the CPAP will have to work harder. The CPAP machine can even overheat if the filter is too dirty.

A CPAP user is breathing the same air in the same quantity as a normal person with no CPAP. The CPAP machine doesn't "force" more air into your lungs than a healthy person breathes.

The filter keeps dust from building up in the machine and harming its operation. While we benefit from cleaner air due to the filter, a dirty (or missing) filter won't make CPAP air any worse than the air you breathe when not wearing CPAP.

The machines are designed to use a particular type of air filter. If you use a non-standard filter, even one that is "better," it may block dust and germs better, but it may clog up more quickly, or it may restrict airflow more than the standard filter. Either one of these problems can damage your CPAP machine and cause it to overheat or not deliver enough air. If you get a filter that doesn't block as much dust at all particle sizes, you may end up filling your machine with dust and ruin it that way.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
True, that.
Which is why I checked to pore size using the back lighting method.
I think JJJ did the same.
I have a strong feeling that it's all industrial foam sheet anyway.
Wink
When you paste something on a product that says it's for medical or aviation use, the price automagically
goes up by 1000%.

Wink

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Cleaning filters bookwyrmtoo 2 388 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 2 603 11-16-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: cLoo
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 filters mmrams13 32 9,417 09-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: turbo
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 807 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman
  DreamStation 2 Filters & DME's StratCat48 2 504 04-19-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
Question [Equipment] Who sells ResMed's AirSense 10 HypoAllergenic filters most cheaply, for Canada? StackExchange 1 522 12-03-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] airsense 11 filters..again solveforz 7 1,487 11-13-2022, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.