Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Filters turning black?
Filters turning black?
So, for the past two days I've had the filter in my machine turning black. On Thursday morning I changed out my filter as part of my regular cleaning routine, I put a fresh (out of the pack) filter in and went on with my day. After I woke up on Friday morning I noticed the filter door wasn't closed completely so I opened it to see what was stopping it from closing completely and I notice that in the center of the filter it had turned black. This has never happened to me before so I thought maybe it was because of the door so I replaced the filter with another brand new filter and made sure the door closed completely. This morning when I woke up I checked the filter and this brand new filter was now completely black!! 

Has anyone had this happen to them? What can be causing this? Please help as I'm concerned this could be harming me to breathe through the filters.

Attached is a pic showing:
Top is fresh filter, last of a six pack where the 3 out of six did not turn black when used
Left is the first filter that turned black after one night but only in the center
Right is from last night and filter is completely black.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Filters turning black?
Well, I've never seen anything like that. What's your environment like... do you live where there may be an excessive amount of dust or smoke? Does anyone in your household smoke? Can your rule out any mold problems in your home?

You've used this BiLevel for a few years now, did you have any prior issues with the filters turning black?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Where is your CPAP located while you use it? Is it on your floor?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2021, 07:39 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Well, I've never seen anything like that.  What's your environment like... do you live where there may be an excessive amount of dust or smoke?  Does anyone in your household smoke?  Can your rule out any mold problems in your home?

You've used this BiLevel for a few years now, did you have any prior issues with the filters turning black?
Thanks for your reply! 

I've never had anything like this happen with my filters and I've been using a bipap machine since 2010. Also, this is my second AirCurve 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine, I had to replace my old one back in August of 2019 when the old one gave out on me but haven't had an issue with it prior to these two filters. 

No mold in the house and dust to a minimum as I'm highly allergic to both as well as tobacco smoke. We just had a new HVAC system put in the house in June and I always keep the filters changed out. 

I'm wondering if this could be from burning a Yankee candle in the bedroom prior to going to bed each night? My daughter is always sending me shipments of these candles and I have been burning the 'Dried Lavender and Oak' on and off for the past few weeks in the bedroom. I blow the candle out before going to bed though so there shouldn't be any smoke from it, right? 

This is really concerning because of my respiratory issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
I seldom burn candles, so not sure if that could be an issue.

Change out the filter, and stop burning candles for awhile. I would also buy a separate stand alone air filter to run in the bedroom to remove any residue from the candles.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What do the HVAC filters look like as well?

I agree with Opal.  No Candles.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Mold was mentioned but no mold would grow that quickly and it would be unlikely to grow on a dry filter. It must be particulates from the incoming air. I would be more concerned about breathing the unfiltered air in the room than the air from your BIPAP. The filters are actually reducing the amount of particulates you inhale from your BIPAP as compared to the surrounding air. It may be localized to the placement of your machine but I think the suggestion of a stand alone air cleaner is good. Have you been burning the candles near your machine? That would cause a local concentration of sooty particulates.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
When we had serious wildfires in the northwest and our AQI was pushing 300 the fine filter turned black rather quickly. Go to the airnow.gov site to check your local air quality index.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's gotta be the candles. Stop using them for a while, and see if it makes any difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
One other thought; If your filters look like that, think of what you have inhaled.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 167 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 1,028 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] Cleaning filters bookwyrmtoo 2 413 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  What do the red, green, blue and black blocks mean on the Oscar daily page? crazypiglady 3 488 11-12-2023, 01:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 filters mmrams13 32 9,631 09-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: turbo
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 876 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman
  Help fine turning APAP settings for better night sleep livsmonster 4 813 04-26-2023, 12:47 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.