Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finally, SUCCESS after almost giving up on CPAP (retitled)
Finally, SUCCESS after almost giving up on CPAP (retitled)
Trying once again to use my CPAP and I have about two weeks of nightly use.  I continue to experience grogginess when I awake and generally do not feel refreshed after a night's sleep.  In fact, I can only recall two or three instances in my whole life where I felt refreshed and rested after a night's sleep.  I also continue to have low energy and considerable daytime sleepiness.  I originally went to a sleep doctor for insomnia, and she has prescribed nightly Klonipin (.25 mg) to address my REM sleep behavior disorder, along with 3 mg Melatonin.  She describes my OSA as mild to moderate with mild when I'm sleeping on my side and severe when on my back.  Can't sleep using the positional devices.

Please help me interpret the most recent Oscar report and thanks in advance for any recommendations for improvement.

[attachment=25922]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member, please help me interpret results
2 things. Firsts low of 4 is to low, you need to raise it, I would go to 6. Second I don’t understand the left column shows 0 for large leaks BUT you show large leaks on the graphs. I don’t know why the graphs shows 50? Check your. Mask fit during your sleep position not just sitting on the bed.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Stacyburke picked up the important points. A higher minimum pressure is essential to getting good CPAP therapy, and by using the minimum pressure of the machine of 4.0 cm, your pressure bounces all over the place and fails to resolve events before they happen. His recommendation of a minimum of 6.0 is conservative, an I would have gone to 7 or 8, but it's a much better solution than 4.0. Leaks are out of control, and you need to make adjustment, find a different size or a different model of mask. This may be mouth breathing rather than a mask leak but it is a very high leak rate. The apnea are clustered, which suggests a possible positional apnea, so a soft cervical collar may serve two purposes, control leaks and resolve the occlusion of your airway from chin-tucking. Take a look at the Soft Cervical Collar wiki link in my signature, and the positional apnea link in that wiki. This is very common and easy to fix.

Increase minimum pressure, iIf you are using Flex do not exceed 2, use a soft cervical collar for positional apnea and hopefully that will help resolve the large leaks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have one of the best on the board giving you his opinion, go 7 or 8.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Will a minimum setting of 7 or 8 affect the ramp setting of 4?  Also, the CPAP titration study I had last December reported that the CPAP should be set to 6.  I see no 6 in the settings, only the 4 minimum and the 10 maximum.  When I reset the minimum, is that the Auto Min setting on my Dreamstation Auto CPAP machine?  Thanks for the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
4 is now set as your min. because of that when you start to have an event the machine must increase up from 4 to the pressure to stop the event. If you have it at 7 or 8 as was suggested the increase is only from 7 or 8 to the pressure needed to stop the event so it takes less time to relieve your event (H or OB or Flow limit) That is why you want that low number to be higher. It has nothing to do with the "ramp". Most of us that have been on CPAP for any time do not use the ramp at all, we just turn on the machine. You are NOT getting any therapy during the ramp it will not go any higher than the ramp setting for the entire ramp period. So if you have the ramp set for 30 minutes you have 30 minutes that is not offering any therapy. I suggest you turn it off and not use the ramp.
Post Reply Post Reply
4 is considered a pediatric setting by most. Many adults have trouble Breathing at that pressure and thus a recommendation for an initial pressure of 6 to 8. Personally I feel starved for air with anything under 10.
Post Reply Post Reply
To access the pressure settings follow this tutorial https://www.apneaboard.com/dreamstation-...structions
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
i tightened my Dreamware nose pillow mask last night, and today have gone into the clinician's menu and changed the Auto minimum setting to 7.  I will also look into the cervical collar. I will keep the Ramp at 4 for 20 minutes for now, as I have claustrophobia reactions to the pressure.  I'm quite surprised at the advice to increase the minimum pressure and that I have mask leakage, but the explanation makes sense.  The Dreammapper software has never shown anything lower than 98% mask fit.  I've been trying and quitting the CPAP now for about 3 years because I just don't feel I am getting anything out of it.  Hopefully this will help.  Still looking for that elusive "waking up refreshed."
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as the ramp goes - do whatever makes you feel better but please try one time just turning on instead of using the ramp. Each of us is different but for myself I felt better at pressure instead of struggling to get my breath at a low ramp pressure. Now for feeling better, I wish it is go to bed for 1 night and boy do I feel great. It takes several weeks and at some point you will feel better just hang in there for awhile!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,633 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,040 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 626,272 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 553 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  For anyone who is thinking of giving up on CPAP because of the nuisance...... BigWing 3 376 02-12-2024, 07:04 AM
Last Post: BigWing
Cool Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask 00derek 2 905 11-25-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Took 6 months but finally got 100 on myAir app. Any way to improve my treatment? 1978 0 461 08-22-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: 1978

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.