Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finally, SUCCESS after almost giving up on CPAP (retitled)
RE: New member, please help me interpret results
You might want to look at Supplier #2 on the black ribbon where the shopping cart is. They sell slightly used machines. Resmed Autoset for under 500. I bought one recently excellent company and excellent machine. The
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
What makes the Resmed Autosense a better CPAP for my situation than the Dreamstation?  Could it really make enough difference that it would be worth buying out of pocket instead of waiting two years for Medicare to buy me one?

I have never considered that the type of machine that I was using might have limitations that prevent me from reducing the apneas and getting a good night's sleep.  My sleep doctor seems to get frustrated with me, like I'm not trying hard enough.  Not sure she'll be too pleased with these pressure changes that I'm making on the machine.  That's why I turned to this board for advice and help.  Even though I'm approaching 71, I just feel that I should be getting more rest out of a full night's (7-8 hours) sleep.  I hate not having energy and motivation.  Makes these trying times even more difficult to cope with.   

I have had a lifelong problem with insomnia that appears to be gone with Melatonin and Klonopin, and I thought that's all I wanted from sleep medicine.  But I'd really like to have a good night's sleep.  I envy those who have a "miracle" experience with CPAP and wouldn't sleep without it.

Would it be helpful to those who are helping me for me to upload redacted copies of my sleep study and CPAP titration sleep study?

This board gives me hope.  Thanks for all the support!

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I don’t know what would be best for you. I can only tell you what happened with me. I never got good therapy from my dreamstation bipap. I waited for my 5 year to pass and contacted my supplier. I asked for a Resmed VAUTO and was asked if my dreamstation was working. I said yes but I am feeling bad each morning and wanted a new machine. They told me if it was not broken (they mentioned it being dropped or water damage) it could not happen for 2 more years AND I would be given the same model. If I wanted the Resmed I would need another sleep study (I already had 3). The copay for the sleep study and copay for the new machine would be $1,000. Instead I bought a slightly used VAUTO that had less than 1 month for $800 total tax shipping. That is my long story. My events went from the mid 20s a night to 3 or less including 8 days in a row of 0. I feel much better. Do I know if this will happen with you, of course not but I think you will do better with the ResMed. If you do decide to get one put on thread about it to make sure it is the best machine for you.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The automatic pressure algorithms between Resmed and Philips are significantly different. In assisting hundreds, if not thousands of members to achieve the best possible efficacy and comfort, it is frustrating how difficult it can be to achieve comfortable results with low events with a Philips machine. Many members have switched, many out of pocket, and like Stacey, immediately improved in every significant way. It's not an accident, but a function of the pressure delivery which is more natural, a faster response of pressure to apnea and hypopnea precursors to prevent events, rather than respond to them, and the incorporation of bilevel pressure in to the CPAP, rather than an ineffective and often uncomfortable "Flex" pressure relief that has no therapeutic value, and often fails to sync with the user. I used to try to give Philips a fair chance and would say they are a nearly equal machine. They are not. I live in Murrysville and nothing would make me happier than if the "home team" was the superior product. It works for some people, but lots and lots of experience has shown consistently better results and comfort with Resmed. It's just easier to coach people to the kind of therapy they thought they would get, but failed to receive with a Philips machine. From CPAP, BiPAP, ASV, and AVAPS/iVPAPs Resmed wins in every category, and it's not even close.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night's results.  Went up to 7.5 minimum pressure and I tolerated it well.  I'll go up to 8 tonight.  I feel better this morning, more rested, even though I slept less than 6 hours and got out of bed before my wife (never happens!).  I simply felt I had enough sleep (never happens!) 

How do I go about getting a Resmed machine?  Which one?  Do I need to talk to my sleep doctor?  Do I need to talk to my DME?  How and from whom will I get masks, nosepieces, filters, hoses, etc?  Can I continue to use my Dreamwear nasal pillow mask with a Resmed?

[attachment=25959]
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you posted the wrong graph as it's dated the 17th.   Smile

Computerdoc,
If I remember, you said this machine was a loaner because your original machine died. If so, talk to the DME about this, as insurance should have replaced the original. Perhaps you could swap this out for a ResMed. I know first hand that insurance can be a real pita, but doesn't hurt to ask.

If you want insurance to pay for your masks and other supplies, then you'll need to work with your DME. If you are self paying, Amazon is a good source.

If you don't want to wait out the 5 years, you probably can find decent deals. Check places like Supplier #2. They are reputable and sell low hour used machines and open box new. There are also places like Craig's list, marketplace, etc.
You just need to know what you are looking for. I would prefer Supplier #2 or Supplier #33 first. Depends what your budget is.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oops

[attachment=25961]

I really don't know which Resmed machine would be best for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2020, 06:46 AM)Computerdoc Wrote: I really don't know which Resmed machine would be best for me.

AirSense 10 AutoSet or if your budget permits... AirCurve 10 VAuto. The VAuto is a BiLevel and could be double the cost compared to the AutoSet. Either would be good machines for you with an edge given to the VAuto.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The direct replacement for your Philips Dreamstation auto CPAP is the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. Your Philips Auto CPAP will provide good therapy, contingent on you optimizing the minimum pressure. I don't want to discourage you from getting the most from the machine you have. If you can get the Resmed, you will notice a difference.

Just wanted to say your most recent results are encouraging with a significant reduction of events. In addition to the things counted in your AHI, note that your flow limitations score was also reduced, but more importantly, your tidal volume (the average volume of air respired in each breath) increased from only 260 mL to a greatly improved 380 mL, and your minute vent (the average volume of air respired in one minute) went from a paltry 4.83 L/min to a satisfying 6.63 L/min. This is the reason for waking more refreshed and alert, and it is obvious this small change in minimum pressure was very beneficial. I expect you will notice additional gains as your minimum pressure is increased closer to your therapeutic optimum pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great!  Minimum pressure right now is 7.5 and we’ll tolerated.  What should I raise it to for tonight?

How do I go about getting the Resmed?  Should I start with my sleep doctor or my DME?  WOULD LIKE TO GET Medicare to pay, but can handle self pay if I have to.

Opal Rose also recommended Aircurve 10 Vauto.  Your thoughts?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,597 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,022 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,809 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 545 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  For anyone who is thinking of giving up on CPAP because of the nuisance...... BigWing 3 374 02-12-2024, 07:04 AM
Last Post: BigWing
Cool Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask 00derek 2 900 11-25-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Took 6 months but finally got 100 on myAir app. Any way to improve my treatment? 1978 0 456 08-22-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: 1978

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.