Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finally, SUCCESS after almost giving up on CPAP (retitled)
RE: New member, please help me interpret results
Considering your leaks: what about taping?  You're definitely a mouth breather, hence a nasal mask isn't suitable for you without taking further actions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night's data.  Tried mouth taping (not a full seal, just enough to keep lips together).  Seems to have worked subjectively well, was surprised to see the large leaks beginning at about 5am.  I do remember waking up then pretty wide awake but was not ready to get up, so I went back to sleep.  Is this an improvement?

Spouse is concerned the tape will come off and choke me during the night.  Tape seemed to have stayed in place well with plenty of adhesive.  I plan to increase the minimum pressure to 8.0 tonight and see if that brings my AHI down.

I'll get delivery on a P10i nasal pillow mask on Monday and try that.

Post Reply Post Reply
Looks better.  Why not completely seal your mouth properly?  Despite being taped, mouth breathing is still possible; even until 5:00 it seems to me to be mouth breathing.  But you're doing better, definitely.

Personally, I wouldn't change pressure until the leaks are managed.  The AHI reported formerly can't be trusted due to the massive leaks.  

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night's data.  Mouth completely sealed with tape.  Leaks seem much better.  Feeling more rested and no daytime sleepiness.  I read for several hours yesterday afternoon without nodding off.  Major accomplishment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Not a bad beginning.  Despite your mouth was taped you still were mouth breathing -- which is not a contradiction as I know it by myself.  This may have several causes: the tape wasn't strong enough or it was wrinkled.  Maybe try another tape, I'm using Fixomull stretch, works much better than 3M's micropore.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
A few hints. Before applying the tape pull your lips slightly inwards which will not only provide a better sealing but also prevents the lips fro, getting to much in touch which the tape.  Avoid any wrinkles in the tape ass the air might escape through them.  Use a 2 by 4 inch tape.  

Also have in mind that taping only curse the symptom but not the cause which is the unnatural position of the tongue in your mouth.  In it's natural position it doesn't allow any mouth breathing at all.  And that "tongue trick" might work right from the start for some people -- not for me.  I've been training now for one and a half year and now I might consider to stop taping.  So be patient.  Wink

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
We reduced your pressure from EPAP 9.0 to give you some leak relief. So far, the leaks remain, and there are a few OA events getting into the mix. I am aware of the claustrophobia problem that is keeping you away from full face mask solutions, but I feel like you have given nasal pillows a fair shot and have not really shown you can avoid the leaks. These not only interfere with therapy, but are disruptive to your sleep and comfort. I have never used a full face or hybrid mask, so have no personal experience on which to base a recommendation. I hope some other members will offer some ideas. Meanwhile, I think you need to bring back a bit higher minimum pressure, so I'll suggest 7.6 cm as EPAP min.

You may have to keep an open mind to other mask solutions. IMO if you can tolerate taping, a FFM or hybrid should be a cakewalk.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try the hybrid masks, as they sit lower than a FFM thus avoiding occluding the vision and the claustrophobic effects of that. That bearded wonder in the avatar on your left is me in a Amara View hybrid mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Because of shipping mixups, my nasal pillow mask is arriving today.  I’ll give that a good try first.  I’ll continue to tape per multicast suggestions and move on to a hybrid or ffm as the next step.  I’ll post OSCAR results to get feedback.

What am I looking for on the leak graph?  The entire night under the peak threshold (which appears to be 24 for this Dreamwear nasal pillow mask)?

Thanks all!  I am feeling increasingly better and much appreciate your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
With regard to leaks, take a look at this thread by Gronk http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-t-helping A very similar problem with leaks, but he is solving the problem, and has achieved a very low leak rate on page 2 of this thread.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,605 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,023 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,845 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  For anyone who is thinking of giving up on CPAP because of the nuisance...... BigWing 3 374 02-12-2024, 07:04 AM
Last Post: BigWing
Cool Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask 00derek 2 901 11-25-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Took 6 months but finally got 100 on myAir app. Any way to improve my treatment? 1978 0 457 08-22-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: 1978

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.