Finally! Somebody is posting a battery/DC power thread to ApneaBoard!
OMyMyOHellYes Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics 560 Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Respironics System One (no heated hose)
CPAP Pressure: 08.0-15.0 cm/H2O
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Finally! Somebody is posting a battery/DC power thread to ApneaBoard!
OK -

I see where PR has out a DC cord that hooks up to the Dreamstation units and an automotive cigar lighter plug.

There has been talk/speculation as to the requirement for a mystery signal along a third wire as a requirement to make a Dreamstation run.

Anybody have experience with this? I ask because the PR system doesn't make you go through a brick - it is a simple two wire cord assembly. Or looks like it. Has anyone gotten the cord or taken it apart to see what makes it tick? It seems if it is really just a two wire cord (with two inexplicably ginormous RF chokes), then what/where is the mystery third conductor signal coming from? And if it is maybe a resistor molded in the plug end, shouldn't I just be able to run off a battery/DC source if I cut off the cigar plug and the RF choke on that end and replace with a PowerPole connector to hook up to my battery backup???

OMMOHY

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2016 10:08 PM by OMyMyOHellYes.)
06-27-2016 10:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
sdb7802 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DreamStation Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: built-in with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 9.5-14 C-Flex 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Retired Electrical Engineer; began using cpap in 2001; FlashAir wifi card and FlashPAP app

RE: Finally! Somebody is posting a battery/DC power thread to ApneaBoard!!!
I bought the DreamStation dc cable and it's got a 20K ohm resistor molded in the plug. The resistor is connected between the center pin and the inner barrel (+12V). Outer barrel is ground.

Some testing with a power supply and a decade box shows the DS needs to see between 18.9K to 26.2K to power up and run without an error screen. The blower will not start with the wrong resistance.

You're right that the cable is just two-wire zipcord with humongous beads and you should be able to chop off the cigar plug and attach the powerpole connector. The cigar plug has a fuse, led, and resistor.

Just my personal opinion. My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact. Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel. Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
06-27-2016 11:54 PM
OMyMyOHellYes Online

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

RE: Finally! Somebody is posting a battery/DC power thread to ApneaBoard!!!
Well, not the greatest thing (and actually, I can't see that it serves much, if any, purpose, except to force folks to buy that particular cord), but it beats having to buy a $100 brick. I wonder what would happen if I just started cutting off plasti from around the ferrite. Two half cores with plastic molded around them around the wire? Or, just cut off the plug end at the ferrite and add a PowerPole at that point!

OMMOHY
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2016 07:01 AM by OMyMyOHellYes.)
06-28-2016 07:00 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
OMyMyOHellYes Online

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

RE: Finally! Somebody is posting a battery/DC power thread to ApneaBoard!
Well after some ruminating and reviewing the earler thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ery-Cables I was wondering what the impact would be of running a PRS1 with the cable for the Dreamstation. Yes I know that PR warns the cables are not compatible, but it seems 12 V outer gnd, inner barrel pos, same same as the PRS1, with the center pin unaccounted for.

I wonder what it would think about the center pin? NOT that I NEED it, I hope to be GTG for the next several years with what I got now, but if I was a forward thinker, that could make things simpler to just cut the plug off of the Dreamstation DC cord and terminate it with PowerPoles, as if I had a Dreamstation, so that when I may get one .......

Has anyone disassembled a PRS1 and seen if that center pin goes anywhere or is just vestigial on that machine? It's a shame we can't get out hands on wiring diagrams for these machines. Or more a shame that the manufacturers make changes like this just to mess with everybody. I wonder if we might find a PRS1 DOA to do an autopsy on ....

OMMOHY
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2016 08:08 AM by OMyMyOHellYes.)
06-29-2016 08:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Smile [CPAP] Diagnosis + prescription = Frustration... ApneaBoard + experimenting = Salvation! OldVet 8 254 11-28-2016 08:24 PM
Last Post: OldVet
  Insurance won't pay for power cord? CharlotteYork 13 871 11-17-2016 11:58 PM
Last Post: tzk321
Idea ResMed S8 repair for no power SuperSleeper 4 226 11-17-2016 02:41 PM
Last Post: 10bigal10
  My battery backup setup GeoffD 278 22,083 10-27-2016 05:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Power Outage: Stay Awake Or Sleep W/O CPAP? player 11 686 10-26-2016 08:29 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  WINTER COMING....POWER OUTAGES??? giftofsleep 2 305 10-06-2016 06:52 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  [CPAP] Finally got my machine Skittles3350 12 522 09-29-2016 06:36 PM