Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finally after 8 years trying to improve Usage
Finally after 8 years trying to improve Usage
Greetings - Another new member here obviously. I've been reading posts non stop now for days! Excellent info here, wish I would of found this site sooner.

Anyway back to the subject matter, finally after several years of annual physicals (3 or 4) from my primarily care doc and complaining about loud snoring, gasping for air, weight gain, hypertension did he finally referred me to a sleep doctor. In the past he just said "everyone snores". He is no longer my primary care doc!

My first and only sleep study was a split study in May 2007. I had very severe obstructive sleep apnea, AHI 126/hr, SpO2 nadir <70%. I struggled with my prescribed CPAP, Fisher & Paykel SleepStyle 600 with humidifier, and various masks for over 5 years. The CPAP was initiated at a pressure of 12 cm H2O. It was a love / hate relationship. I hated it and I was in denial about my condition. I tried to use it most of the time.

Fast forward 2012 - follow up visit for overnight ox test. I wanted to reduce the constant pressure so I could sleep easier. Well a new brick was prescribed, since my old machine was very outdated. The sleep doc prescribed a ResMed S9 Elite. I've been using the S9 more than I used the previous model. It has/is a struggle to find a mask that works the best for me. I was using a ResMed AirFit F10 but the cushions wore out very quickly and I was not able to replace them as often as I should have. Two nights ago I began using a Simplus FFM and I hope this one will work better.

I am using sleepyhead software to view my data. Hopefully with the help of the members I'll be on the road to a better nights sleep. Attached is a graph from last night and I would appreciated any comments or tips.

I have an appointment with the Sleep Doc in Jan 2016 (can't believe he's that busy). I plan/hope to get a script for a auto CPAP, perhaps a ResMed S10 Auto.

Thanks for such a great resource and support from all members.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finally after 8 years trying to improve Usage
Hi Caldera,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope CPAP therapy goes better for you the second time around.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome.

I am no expert but things look okay. Do you know what caused that cluster of leaks at about 3 AM to 4:30 AM?

FYI, Your machine isn't a brick as it records important data such as you provided in your post. It would be helpful to see other data from the same night of sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2015, 01:45 PM)me50 Wrote: Welcome.

I am no expert but things look okay. Do you know what caused that cluster of leaks at about 3 AM to 4:30 AM?

FYI, Your machine isn't a brick as it records important data such as you provided in your post. It would be helpful to see other data from the same night of sleep.

Around 3 AM to 4:30 AM I think I may have been a little restless. Seems like I was waking up and rolling over a few times.

Oops wrong use of the term "Brick", thanks for pointing that out! So much to learn.....what other detailed data should I be looking at to post. I'm trying to setup SleepyHead so the pertinent graphs are displayed. I'm currently reading and re-reading the wiki as well as scanning the forum.

thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Caldera, welcome to the forum. It has been a tough journey for you, and the most important thing is to get comfortable with the mask. You're still struggling with leak rate. An Auto-CPAP can improve comfort allowing you to have lower pressures, and increasing as needed during the night. An Auto Bilevel (VPAP or BiPAP) can increase comfort even more, and is frequently a solution for those that fail conventional CPAP for compliance, especially if pressure is at or above 14. That sounds a bit like you.

What EPR setting are you using. I noticed the graph indicated it is full time, but the setting was cut-off. Overall, your sleep data looks okay, and would be great without the leaks and OA cluster at 4:30. Best of luck to you, and hope you get the machine you want next time around.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Sleeprider - Thanks for the hints on the Auto CPAP and Bilevel devices.

EPR is full time - EPR level 0cmH2O
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! Have you tried any other EPR settings? On the Resmed, you can choose 0-3 which give exhale relief of 0-3 CM H2O. This can improve ventilation and comfort for some people. It's like having a limited bilevel, and makes the pressure more tolerable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2015, 04:38 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Thanks! Have you tried any other EPR settings? On the Resmed, you can choose 0-3 which give exhale relief of 0-3 CM H2O. This can improve ventilation and comfort for some people. It's like having a limited bilevel, and makes the pressure more tolerable.

Should I try 3?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2015, 04:44 PM)Caldera Wrote:
(09-02-2015, 04:38 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Thanks! Have you tried any other EPR settings? On the Resmed, you can choose 0-3 which give exhale relief of 0-3 CM H2O. This can improve ventilation and comfort for some people. It's like having a limited bilevel, and makes the pressure more tolerable.

Should I try 3?

Hi Caldera,
Yes, you can try a setting of 3, this is a comfort feature which will drop the pressure by 3cm as you exhale.
Eventually, when you are used to the pressure, you could move it to 2, which gives you a pressure relief of 2cm when exhaling.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@OpalRose - thanks for the explanation, I've got so much to learn. Great forum!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,034 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 178 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,018 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 902 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 680 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,286 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.