Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finally, an autoset machine!
Finally, an autoset machine!
I have posted miserable notes here before about trying to switch out my ResMed S9 for an autoset machine. After several conversations with my DME person, he reluctantly agreed to do it, warning that he "can't keep giving me new machines" as if I am just window shopping hardware.

I'm even more cranky when I'm tired, so dealing with him was not pretty, and I still feel abused by the process. BUT I am so looking forward to having the new machine and possibly some really good sleep finally. The guy at the DME tried to "explain" to me why the autoset machines really aren't that great, and that they are just "popular" now because they allow people to get home sleep studies and then get the autoset machine, which isn't as good as a lab sleep study. What this tells me is the that autoset machines threaten his business, which is the only reason I can think of that he would be so against them. I still do not regret having the lab sleep study, but I feel that my daily experience is a better diagnosis than any one-night period could be.
Kathi D.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finally, an autoset machine!
Good job Kathi, we're proud of you!

So, you're DME isn't all that happy? Oh well.

What are you going to name your new machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmmm, name, I don't know?

I do owe thanks to all the helpful people (especially YOU) who talked me through this. I would have still been struggling for a decent night's sleep without the advice and comfort from you fellow hose-heads. It is so tiring to have to go to battle for one's health, especially when you're already tired. But it could be worse--I know that every day people with terminal diseases have to fight for medical care and insurance, too, which is really unthinkable.

So, a big THANK YOU to everyone who commiserated with me, and even more so, everyone who encouraged me to keep at it until I got a good result!

(06-03-2014, 04:49 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Good job Kathi, we're proud of you!

So, you're DME isn't all that happy? Oh well.

What are you going to name your new machine?

Kathi D.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kderevan,
CONGRATULATIONS! on your new machine, great job, you persisted and won even through difficulty.
Enjoy your new S9 AutoSet.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
kderevan said "and I still feel abused by the process" That is a good way to put it, that is how I ended up on this forum feeling screwed by the process. I bought my own used S9 auto set and mask off fleabay and will try to never let them get me again. But I am glad I ended up here as there is a lot more to life and info to be gained than just being P*ssed at the DME.
Good job and keep it up.
Doc J
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2014, 04:42 PM)kderevan Wrote: The guy at the DME tried to "explain" to me why the autoset machines really aren't that great, and that they are just "popular" now because they allow people to get home sleep studies and then get the autoset machine, which isn't as good as a lab sleep study.

That's just plain wrong. An auto CPAP is no substitute for a sleep study. But if your prescribed pressure really does turn out to be the best pressure for stopping your apneas and hypopneas, and the pressure is so high that it causes problems, then an auto CPAP may turn out to be better for you.

There are issues, though, that require a bilevel CPAP, or even a more advanced ASV CPAP machine.

An auto CPAP is not the solution to every problem, but it is the solution for some people.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Kathi

Seems Dme's are reluctant to provide the S9 autoset. I had similar problems with my DME. They were willing to provide a PR System one 60 series machine which is also a good machine. BTW how do you like the P10

apapuser
Post Reply Post Reply
The Airfit P10 is perfect for me. It's comfortable, and I have very low leak rates. I do use a chinstrap with it. I now put the chinstrap over the P10, because I sometimes pull off the mask in my sleep without knowing it. Interesting, though, that when I did that, I usually woke up and put it back on within 20 minutes or so.

(06-03-2014, 08:54 PM)Apapuser Wrote: Hi Kathi

Seems Dme's are reluctant to provide the S9 autoset. I had similar problems with my DME. They were willing to provide a PR System one 60 series machine which is also a good machine. BTW how do you like the P10

apapuser

I will be curious to see what ranges the autoset uses for my pressure. I'm at 11 now, which is entirely comfortable to me, but since I have too many apneas at that pressure, I'm hoping the autoset will be the answer. My apneas tend to spike in clusters in the middle of the night, and I hope that the autoset will boost the pressure enough to cut down on that.

(06-03-2014, 06:20 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-03-2014, 04:42 PM)kderevan Wrote: The guy at the DME tried to "explain" to me why the autoset machines really aren't that great, and that they are just "popular" now because they allow people to get home sleep studies and then get the autoset machine, which isn't as good as a lab sleep study.

That's just plain wrong. An auto CPAP is no substitute for a sleep study. But if your prescribed pressure really does turn out to be the best pressure for stopping your apneas and hypopneas, and the pressure is so high that it causes problems, then an auto CPAP may turn out to be better for you.

There are issues, though, that require a bilevel CPAP, or even a more advanced ASV CPAP machine.

An auto CPAP is not the solution to every problem, but it is the solution for some people.

Kathi D.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2014, 09:04 PM)kderevan Wrote: I will be curious to see what ranges the autoset uses for my pressure. I'm at 11 now, which is entirely comfortable to me, but since I have too many apneas at that pressure, I'm hoping the autoset will be the answer. My apneas tend to spike in clusters in the middle of the night, and I hope that the autoset will boost the pressure enough to cut down on that.

I would try a constant pressure of 12 and see what happens.

By the way, those clusters might be occurring because you've rolled over onto your back.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very well could be, although I sleep in an adjustable bed with the head cranked up, so even on my back I'm far from "flat."

(06-03-2014, 09:14 PM)Sleepster Wrote: By the way, those clusters might be occurring because you've rolled over onto your back.

Kathi D.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 116 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,034 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,172 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Got Bipap instead of prescribed ResMed Autoset machine. Please help me get going. marvin2023 2 548 10-10-2023, 07:26 PM
Last Post: marvin2023
  Old Resmed Autoset S9 machine SteveC 4 582 09-13-2023, 08:30 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Took 6 months but finally got 100 on myAir app. Any way to improve my treatment? 1978 0 458 08-22-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: 1978
  Finally found through DISE why cpap/bipap/ASV was never going to work for me. logart89 9 1,372 08-01-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: logart89

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.