Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finally diagnosed and soon to be starting treatment...
Finally diagnosed and soon to be starting treatment...
I'm a 27 year old male but have had bruxism for many years and a history of fatigue and TMJ/chronic pain ever since I developed an open bite at the age of 19. I also have a deviated septum and enlarged turbinates.

I suspect that I've had this for many years but finally had an in-lab sleep study that diagnosed mild obstructive sleep apnea - 10 AHI & 10 RDI per hourThe sleep doctor thinks I should try a CPAP (I have to wait two weeks for it all to go through insurance). He prescribed a mask that will cover both my nose and mouth as he said that is most effective for bruxism/mouth breathing. I already sleep with a mouthguard for the bruxism and discussed first trying a CPAP before potentially using a guard designed to treat apnea. 

Does anyone have any recommendations or have a similar story? One of my dentists believes the CPAP could be a good temporary solution but my problems will only get worse as I get older unless I fix the structure of nose and bite/arch. Either way I'm really hoping the CPAP will make me feel better. I'm always tired and have difficulty getting through the day without napping. Not to mention the fact that it's super difficult for me to breath when my mouth is closed unless I push my jaw forward. 

Also, what has your experience going through insurance for CPAP treatment? I was a little surpised to hear all the rules, not to mention the fact that I have to wait another two weeks or so.

Thanks for the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finally diagnosed and soon to be starting treatment...
You want to write this down...request the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. This is an automatic CPAP with full data so you can observe and fine-tune your therapy. You can order the free clinician manual from this link so you will know all the back door menus before you pick up the machine. http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual With access to that menu you can plug in the machine and check the run hours to be sure you are getting a new machine.

Why the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset? It's the best one you can get in the auto CPAP category and you're going to be using this a long time. You want to be as comfortable as you can be, and this machine give you exhale pressure relief that is best in class. Don't accept an alternative, and don't take a used one. Especially don't take a machine that does not provide you with full data feedback. Understand the difference between a machine that provides only compliance data and the ones that offer full efficacy data.

Ask questions. Read the mask primer in my signature links. Consider getting the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows mas for the quietest, lowest profile interface. Welcome!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finally diagnosed and soon to be starting treatment...
(10-13-2017, 05:08 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You want to write this down...request the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.  This is an automatic CPAP with full data so you can observe and fine-tune your therapy.  You can order the free clinician manual from this link so you will know all the back door menus before you pick up the machine. http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual  With access to that menu you can plug in the machine and check the run hours to be sure you are getting a new machine.

Why the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset?  It's the best one you can get in the auto CPAP category and you're going to be using this a long time.  You want to be as comfortable as you can be, and this machine give you exhale pressure relief that is best in class.  Don't accept an alternative, and don't take a used one.  Especially don't take a machine that does not provide you with full data feedback.  Understand the difference between a machine that provides only compliance data and the ones that offer full efficacy data.  

Ask questions. Read the mask primer in my signature links. Consider getting the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows mas for the quietest, lowest profile interface.  Welcome!

Backing up Sleeprider
1. This machine --- Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.
2. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Capability
3. The Mask Primer describes multiple methods of handling mouth breathing, and yes a Full Face Mask is one of them..  The mask is extremely important because it is the interface between the machine and you.
4. Normal breathing is thru the nose, not the mouth.

I had a LOT of mouth breathing, but by utilizing the hints in the Mask Primer I now control it and use the ResMed P10 Pillow Mask that SleepRider mentioned as my primary mask.  VERY comfortable.

Fred

PS, did I say read the Mask Primer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Starting Out - Guidance Please apneavolt 18 846 04-16-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 165 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 141 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 0 75 04-13-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: StuffyNoseDude
  Starting Again wxmcpo 10 137 04-10-2024, 02:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 25 714 04-09-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Schernenk
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 120 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.