Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finally got my machine / First night on CPAP
RE: Finally got my machine! / First night on CPAP
My Breeze nasal pillow mask doesn't leak, at least not from the pillows part. It rarely comes out of my nose.

I've never gotten a sore from it but I did from some others.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've you're building something to hold the CPAP, be sure to make it so that you can't accidentally pull the machine off and turn it over. Especially be sure that if you roll over, you can't snag the hose and pull it off the table.

If you turn it over or knock it off the table, the water can get into the blower unit and ruin the machine.

Putting the machine in a drawer is a useful way to do this. Be sure there's a hole at least twice the size of the air hose for air to get in. You'll need a hole for the air hose to come out anyway.

I switched from a ComfortGel nasal mask to Swift FX pillows. It was a little rough on my nose at first. Since I was switching I could use the pillows for a few hours and switch, or I could do one night with the pillows and another night with the nasal mask.

Once my nose toughened up, I love the pillows. They're like part of my body now. When I put them on, or after I wash them, they sometimes don't seem to fit until they sort of warm up and settle in.

I find loose straps are better than tight. The outer plastic flaps inflate and fit my nose as long as I get them somewhere close to my nose.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
You said that the auto on wasn't working for you even though the machine was set for auto on. My machine is also set for auto on but when I use my full face mask, it never starts. I have to turn the machine on manually.

As others have said, it takes a while to adjust to a new mask or nasal pillows. Your DME will exchange your mask/nasal pillows within the 30 day period but you won't be able to keep both. Can you try several of them on at your DME office? I know it's not the same as having them at home in your bedroom but you can eliminate the ones that aren't comfortable in the office.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2013, 04:43 PM)zonk Wrote: [Image: img_climatelinetube.jpg]

You need to remove the rubber cover from the back of H5i, the orange end of the climate line goes into the H5i, turned all the way until clicked in place ... as shown in this guide (page 1)
[page #2 explain how to set the climate control on auto or manual mode]

http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf

H5i guide: http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...er_eng.pdf

S9 guide: http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...ac_eng.pdf

I don,t use nasal pillows, make sure the pillows are the right size, try different size to make you,re using the correct size for you

Try chinstrap, chinstrap can helps keeping mouth closed and minimize mouth leaks

Don,t worry about AHI for now, concentrate your effort getting the mask sorted out and on sleep quality

Everyone goes through CPAP adjustment period, its not an easy after years of sleep deprivation and untreated sleep apnea

Thank you so much for the guides they definitely help out Smile I got the tubing and everything sorted out now just going through the adjustment period as you said and getting used to things

(05-23-2013, 04:51 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi LolaBelle,
Sorry you had a rough couple of nights but just stick with it. If you just absolutely can't use the pillows, ask for another mask to try and maybe that will help.
Best of luck to you and hang in there for more responses to your post.

Thank you for your warm wishes and thankfully the last two nights have been much better Smile

(05-23-2013, 06:17 PM)Tez62 Wrote: LolaBelle, I agree with Zonk and Trish, the Wisp is a nasal mask rather than pillows but may suit you better. With either the mask or pillows you may need a chin strap as you may be a mouth breather. A good way to tell is if you are sitting watching TV and relaxed, how do you breathe through your mouth with it open or through your nose. It is normally a habit so we sleep the same way. In the end you may need a full face mask, I use one, they cover more of your face but you don't have the other associated issues like sores etc. You will also need to use a FFM if you have a cold.

I end up getting the wisp Smile it works better for me, I could've survived with the pillows but the wisp seems to work better for me less leaks no nose pain and ask for a ffm I asked my doctor what I would do if I get sick and congested and she just said I wouldn't be able to use my cpap during that time I couldn't believe she said that! I will wait tho till at some point I get a cold and than ill make an appointment and hopefully my insurance will cover a ffm that I can use during times like that other wise the wisp nasal mask seems to be working pretty good just getting it adjusted right and all that good stuff my first nights ahi was 6.9 and last night was 4.9 ill try to adjust it a little better tonight and see if that helps at all

(05-23-2013, 10:00 PM)JJJ Wrote: Many people (including me) report nose sores from pillows. They also leak more than other types of masks. But each nasal pillow mask is different; I had leaks but no sores with several nasal pillows and then I tried the Pilairo, mostly because of the claims about its better leak control. It still leaked, plus it gave me nose sores. And it whistled. That's when I went to the Wisp, which has been working very well for me.

I never thought I was a mouth breather, and basically I am not. During my sleep study they never noticed mouth breathing. And no one who has ever slept with me has said that I am a mouth breather. Still, because of leak problems and because I sometimes wake up with a dry mouth, I finally decided to try a chin strap, just to satisfy my curiosity. Well, my leaks are much better and I haven't woken up with a dry mouth since I started using the chin strap.

My point is that sometimes what you think is happening is not what is really going on. Experimentation is the only way to find out for sure. Also, don't think that if something works for me it will work for you. That doesn't happen often in the mask game. We're all too different.

Im glad I got the wisp and im glad its been working good for you Smile tonight will be my third night on it and im hoping it gets better each night! Im soooo tired I didn't get much sleep last night (had things to do and had to get up early) so im gonna go hit the hay and hopefully ill get an even better ahi

(05-24-2013, 08:57 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Hi LolaBelle, I merged your other 2 threads with this one because they were both basically about the same topic (ie- your few few nights on your new CPAP). I would suggest placing your ongoing results in this same thread to make it easier for folks to follow what's going on. Each time you put a new post in this thread, it bumps the entire thread up to the top of the forum so folks can see it easier.

Thanks!

that's ok!! Sorry I made two threads about the same thing basically Tongue ill keep updating on here from now on Smile

(05-24-2013, 11:31 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: My Breeze nasal pillow mask doesn't leak, at least not from the pillows part. It rarely comes out of my nose.

I've never gotten a sore from it but I did from some others.

the breeze looks like a nice mask im glad its working for you Smile maybe if I ever go back to pillows ill check that one out
(05-25-2013, 05:37 AM)archangle Wrote: I've you're building something to hold the CPAP, be sure to make it so that you can't accidentally pull the machine off and turn it over. Especially be sure that if you roll over, you can't snag the hose and pull it off the table.

If you turn it over or knock it off the table, the water can get into the blower unit and ruin the machine.

Putting the machine in a drawer is a useful way to do this. Be sure there's a hole at least twice the size of the air hose for air to get in. You'll need a hole for the air hose to come out anyway.

I switched from a ComfortGel nasal mask to Swift FX pillows. It was a little rough on my nose at first. Since I was switching I could use the pillows for a few hours and switch, or I could do one night with the pillows and another night with the nasal mask.

Once my nose toughened up, I love the pillows. They're like part of my body now. When I put them on, or after I wash them, they sometimes don't seem to fit until they sort of warm up and settle in.

I find loose straps are better than tight. The outer plastic flaps inflate and fit my nose as long as I get them somewhere close to my nose.

that's good advice for building a cpap table thank you and as for the pillows if I had to I think I could've made them work I was starting to slowly get used to the pillows I think even tho my nose was still sore (and still is lol) but I have the wisp now and after the two nights ive had it im feeling pretty good about switching because its super comfortable so if I can just get the leaking down I think ive hopefully found my mask

(05-25-2013, 08:21 PM)iSnooze Wrote: You said that the auto on wasn't working for you even though the machine was set for auto on. My machine is also set for auto on but when I use my full face mask, it never starts. I have to turn the machine on manually.

As others have said, it takes a while to adjust to a new mask or nasal pillows. Your DME will exchange your mask/nasal pillows within the 30 day period but you won't be able to keep both. Can you try several of them on at your DME office? I know it's not the same as having them at home in your bedroom but you can eliminate the ones that aren't comfortable in the office.

I finally got my auto on to work I looked at some guides and figured everything out I wanted to know all of my settings so I could change them myself so I think the guy just didn't turn it on and ask for the mask they didn't seem to want to let me try a bunch on in fact when I went back in there to get my wisp the guy was kinda rude and was just like " well that's the one I would've picked in the first place the bella may look better but its not practical" which is totally wrong cause I know that mask works for some people just not for me I got the feeling that I was bugging him by coming back in there so I just decided to only try on the wisp which I do like and go which is fine cause that's the one I wanted anyways but im gonna switch to a different dme now that im back home in PA I was going to anyways but thought that if they were nice I would stick with them but ide rather have a place that's closer Tongue

Ok im gonna go to sleep now hopefully my wisp will be even better tonight sweet dreams everyone Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2013, 08:21 PM)iSnooze Wrote: You said that the auto on wasn't working for you even though the machine was set for auto on. My machine is also set for auto on but when I use my full face mask, it never starts. I have to turn the machine on manually.

Autostart is iffy at best with a FFM due to the anti-asphyxia valve. Sometimes you can make heavy inhale/exhales or puffs to start it or put your hand over the anti-asphyxia valve port and get it to start.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finally got my machine!

[/quote]

Thank you Smile I am going to try to get my stepdad to build me a little shelf just for my cpap that will stand tall at the head of my bed (and away from my dog) and im gonna see if I can have him attach something to it that will allow the hose to hang over my head that's a really good idea I think it will help otherwise I know im gonna end up ripping it off my nose lol I go from side to side all night so I think that will help I will try to relax for tonight and I will check back in tomorrow Smile
[/quote]

Just an observation - if you ever have condensation in your hose and the machine is above your head,you may get a snoot full of water.

OMyMyOHellYes
Post #6 to get to the point where I can post links - 2 more to go!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finally got my machine!
(05-26-2013, 10:33 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Just an observation - if you ever have condensation in your hose and the machine is above your head,you may get a snoot full of water.

OMyMyOHellYes
Post #6 to get to the point where I can post links - 2 more to go!

that's good to know but so far so good I haven't had at rainout thankfully I have the climateline hose I have it sitting in my windowsill right now with kind of a makeshift set up and it seems to be working
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finally got my machine / First night on CPAP
I had to cover the exhalation ports on the mask and blow real hard to get auto on to work last night on my machine...no big deal really...I am standing right next to it when I am ready to turn it on anyway
I don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 82 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,022 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 296 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 619 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 197 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,720 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,126 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.