Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finally got my machine / First night on CPAP
RE: First Night with Cpap
Hi LolaBelle,
If you use the pillows again tonight, take a Q-Tip and swav a "LITTLE" HPA lanolin in your nostriles before you mask up and see if that helps sooth the irritation and possibly give you a better seal.
Good luck and hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
LolaBelle, 4.9 is fine for yur first night, you need to look at it over a week or two not just one night. It could also be due to mask leaks, when your ready and start usinging either Sleepyhead or Rescan you will see whats happening through the night.
You may need to try different masks but try not to change too often, try one for at least a week.
The dizzy, light headed feeling is more than likely the new found air that you are getting to your brain that you haven't had for a while.
Over he next few weeks, you will notice changes and everyone is different so can't tell you what changes you will have, my best piece of advice is not to panic, relax and just let things happen, your body is now adjusting to CPAP and is starting to heal after years of sleep deprevation and lack of blood flow and oxygen.
I liken it to a marathon not a sprint and this is just the first day of your new journey, well done on your first night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2013, 04:15 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi LolaBelle,
If you use the pillows again tonight, take a Q-Tip and swav a "LITTLE" HPA lanolin in your nostriles before you mask up and see if that helps sooth the irritation and possibly give you a better seal.
Good luck and hang in there for more suggestions.

ok thank you Smile I will try that tonight
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2013, 04:30 PM)Tez62 Wrote: LolaBelle, 4.9 is fine for yur first night, you need to look at it over a week or two not just one night. It could also be due to mask leaks, when your ready and start usinging either Sleepyhead or Rescan you will see whats happening through the night.
You may need to try different masks but try not to change too often, try one for at least a week.
The dizzy, light headed feeling is more than likely the new found air that you are getting to your brain that you haven't had for a while.
Over he next few weeks, you will notice changes and everyone is different so can't tell you what changes you will have, my best piece of advice is not to panic, relax and just let things happen, your body is now adjusting to CPAP and is starting to heal after years of sleep deprevation and lack of blood flow and oxygen.
I liken it to a marathon not a sprint and this is just the first day of your new journey, well done on your first night.

I am gonna try to give this mask some more time and hopefully my nose will adjust Tongue And your right....I do need to just relax and take things day by day and not expect things to change right away I know my body is healing its been a long time (if ever) that ive had a good nights sleep and I tend to over analyze everything which makes it worse lol So im gonna just relax and hopefully it will get easier each night

Post Reply Post Reply
Ohmy 
Second night didnt go so well...
So my second night sucked! I kept opening my mouth ( I found out somehow my climate line had unlocked from the back even tho it was still in place that's why I couldn't see the temp gage on the screen I wasn't sure why but than I saw that) And my AHI was 10 and my nose is SO friggen sore today! I actually have a couple of small visible sores on the front of my nose where the pillows sit but not inside and I used my hpa lanolin last night a good amount of it and everything was thoroughly clean (im using baby shampoo) I tried to use the bella loops but they just move around too much so I used the headgear again and it helped it stay but it still moved everytime I would turn all in all im extra tired im waiting for that good refreshing night of sleep lol I called my dme today and they seem to be ignoring me and I have to go back to PA on Saturday hopefully they will let my try the wisp tomorrow wish me luck
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Second night didnt go so well...
[Image: img_climatelinetube.jpg]

You need to remove the rubber cover from the back of H5i, the orange end of the climate line goes into the H5i, turned all the way until clicked in place ... as shown in this guide (page 1)
[page #2 explain how to set the climate control on auto or manual mode]

http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf

H5i guide: http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...er_eng.pdf

S9 guide: http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...ac_eng.pdf

I don,t use nasal pillows, make sure the pillows are the right size, try different size to make you,re using the correct size for you

Try chinstrap, chinstrap can helps keeping mouth closed and minimize mouth leaks

Don,t worry about AHI for now, concentrate your effort getting the mask sorted out and on sleep quality

Everyone goes through CPAP adjustment period, its not an easy after years of sleep deprivation and untreated sleep apnea

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi LolaBelle,
Sorry you had a rough couple of nights but just stick with it. If you just absolutely can't use the pillows, ask for another mask to try and maybe that will help.
Best of luck to you and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
LolaBelle, I agree with Zonk and Trish, the Wisp is a nasal mask rather than pillows but may suit you better. With either the mask or pillows you may need a chin strap as you may be a mouth breather. A good way to tell is if you are sitting watching TV and relaxed, how do you breathe through your mouth with it open or through your nose. It is normally a habit so we sleep the same way. In the end you may need a full face mask, I use one, they cover more of your face but you don't have the other associated issues like sores etc. You will also need to use a FFM if you have a cold.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-23-2013, 04:07 PM)LolaBelle Wrote: So my second night sucked! I kept opening my mouth ( I found out somehow my climate line had unlocked from the back even tho it was still in place that's why I couldn't see the temp gage on the screen I wasn't sure why but than I saw that) And my AHI was 10 and my nose is SO friggen sore today! I actually have a couple of small visible sores on the front of my nose where the pillows sit but not inside and I used my hpa lanolin last night a good amount of it and everything was thoroughly clean (im using baby shampoo) I tried to use the bella loops but they just move around too much so I used the headgear again and it helped it stay but it still moved everytime I would turn all in all im extra tired im waiting for that good refreshing night of sleep lol I called my dme today and they seem to be ignoring me and I have to go back to PA on Saturday hopefully they will let my try the wisp tomorrow wish me luck.

Many people (including me) report nose sores from pillows. They also leak more than other types of masks. But each nasal pillow mask is different; I had leaks but no sores with several nasal pillows and then I tried the Pilairo, mostly because of the claims about its better leak control. It still leaked, plus it gave me nose sores. And it whistled. That's when I went to the Wisp, which has been working very well for me.

I never thought I was a mouth breather, and basically I am not. During my sleep study they never noticed mouth breathing. And no one who has ever slept with me has said that I am a mouth breather. Still, because of leak problems and because I sometimes wake up with a dry mouth, I finally decided to try a chin strap, just to satisfy my curiosity. Well, my leaks are much better and I haven't woken up with a dry mouth since I started using the chin strap.

My point is that sometimes what you think is happening is not what is really going on. Experimentation is the only way to find out for sure. Also, don't think that if something works for me it will work for you. That doesn't happen often in the mask game. We're all too different.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Night with Cpap & following nights
Hi LolaBelle, I merged your other 2 threads with this one because they were both basically about the same topic (ie- your few few nights on your new CPAP). I would suggest placing your ongoing results in this same thread to make it easier for folks to follow what's going on. Each time you put a new post in this thread, it bumps the entire thread up to the top of the forum so folks can see it easier.

Thanks!

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 84 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,023 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,720 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,129 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.