Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finally got results from sleep study
Finally got results from sleep study
I did my home sleep study back in April and although I knew I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, I didn't know the actual results until I called my Dr.'s office and had them fax me the results.
It's no wonder I'm still having trouble getting my AHI down. My results show a total of 443 respiratory disturbances during the 8 hr study. 68 hypopneas, 265 obstructive apneas, 52 central apneas, and 58 mixed apneas. Overall AHI was 53.8.
My O2 saturation was below 90% for 128.5 minutes and bottomed out at 80%. Average was 91%. ODI (whatever that means) was 53.7 events per hour.
It's no wonder I could hardly get through the days without wanting to take a nap all the time.
The Dr. who did the report recommended a full night polysomnogram in the sleep lab for titration to determine ideal pressure, but instead my doctor prescribed this auto CPAP machine I'm using. I'm wondering if I would have had better luck getting the right prescriptive settings if I had done the in-lab study rather than just given the auto machine. Well at least I'm on the right track.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finally got results from sleep study
(06-24-2016, 02:28 PM)jen61 Wrote: I'm wondering if I would have had better luck getting the right prescriptive settings if I had done the in-lab study rather than just given the auto machine. Well at least I'm on the right track.

Sleep lab studies are good if you are desperate and have no other options. The titration values they suggest are spot on for that moment in time.

If you are the least bit competent with computers, you can take over your therapy and do as well or better. As for assistance, there are some folks here that are deep into experience with this therapy and I dare say have more insight into the various ins and outs than the typical sleep doctor or respiratory technician.

You are indeed on the right track, especially since you have arrived here.

Welcome

Dude

Post Reply Post Reply
Just remember that the doctor who did the report is most likely part of, if not one of the owners of, the sleep lab. It may well be a matter of economic self interest. Actually you may well end up with better settings by using the APAP and software than with the lab titration which is only one night and so is a snapshot rather than a complete picture.

The people on this board can help to guide you through the process of finding the optimum pressure settings

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2016, 03:17 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Just remember that the doctor who did the report is most likely part of, if not one of the owners of, the sleep lab. It may well be a matter of economic self interest. Actually you may well end up with better settings by using the APAP and software than with the lab titration which is only one night and so is a snapshot rather than a complete picture.

Hippocratic oath be damned, I suppose? We can't say it never happens. You're certainly right about the snapshot, which was one of the parts that bothered me the most about my study. That one snapshot managed to catch me sleeping on my back, which I would never do normally. But how could I not be on my back with all those wires hooked up to me? I had no way of lying on my stomach like I normally do. And of course they say they want you on your back because that gives the "best results"...conveniently also the position that contributes the most to apneas. Though on the flipside, I'm not doing myself a service by masking my worst symptoms which could show themselves on the off-chance I decide to sleep on my back at home. It's a complicated argument. Though it also still bothers me that I never had a study with my APAP--just the CPAP the tech had me on despite my objections. It's so hard to trust anyone these days.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 221 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 74 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 529 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,024 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 131 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.