Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finally got surgery after 10 years. A few questions,,
Question 
Finally got surgery after 10 years. A few questions,,
Well,,, where to begin.  It's been a long journey thus far.  Currently 34 years old.  I was diagnosed with OSA back in 2010... So pretty close to a decade dealing with all this.  CPAP has been mostly ineffective for me this whole time.  I've continued to use it over the years even though I never saw much benefit.  Last Friday [the 26th], I was FINALLY able to get a tonsillectomy and uvulectomy.  Since this was my first surgery ever, I had no idea what to expect.  All I can say being 6 days post-op, it has been terrible.  I think I can comfortably say this is the most pain I've ever experienced...and maybe I should consider myself lucky.  I'm sure other people have been through much worse.  Anyway... I guess my main question is... am I supposed to keep using my CPAP?  I am almost certain my pressures are probably going to be drastically different considering I no longer have tonsils... But I wasn't sure what other people's experiences were with this.  Is it common to continue using CPAP during recovery from surgery?  So far, I have not used it at all since the surgery.  My sleep has been sporadic and not restful due to pain.  I guess I'm just curious what others have done in this situation.  I am REALLY hoping that once I'm healed I will no longer need that CPAP at all... But I suppose that will have to be determined with another sleep study once the healing process is complete.  I'm really interested in hearing other perspectives on all this.  Thanks in advance.   Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finally got surgery after 10 years. A few questions,,
The best answers will be provided when you post a copy of your nightly charts from OSCAR. See my signature.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed, we need to see hard data from a machine that you use at least one night where you sleep for a few hours (at least), and where you can download data for several parameters such as flow limits, leak rate, pressure increases, noted events and what the machine had to do to overcome the 'resistance' you imposed on it, etc. Then, post it here as a display screen shot.

But, to address your question, yes, there's a very good chance you will need adjustments to your current prescription, and about an even chance that you won't need to use PAP at all any more...if that's what you were leading to.  I say this because you are young, you have had what we should all hope is corrective surgery, and successful at that  Smile , and that when you are fully over the event (including recovered from the anesthesia, pain, inflammation, etc.), you should eventually settle down enough where the machine can provide reliable relief for you.  It is possibly a little too soon yet.  But if not, this isn't going to be determined by one night's worth of data. You'd want two, three, maybe four and see if there's a consistency that we can feel safe about providing counsel.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's very unlikely that you won't need cpap anymore, what might happen is that you might not need as big pressures as you used to have or that with your current setting you'll finally get some good rest, since you said the therapy so far has been unsuccesful. but as i see youve been running pressure of 9, for me im 30 and 140 lb those are baby pressures, i use 12-17 and only on this pressure have I found relief of some of my symptoms. I also had modified-UPPP in 2017
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in the not likely to eliminate the need for CPAP, that said we can get you down to the point where you will need a sleep study to verify that, and we are all hopeful for you eliminating CPAP, just don't look at that as likely. Please make a liar out of me.
Post Reply Post Reply
The last machine you had was a Resmed S8 Elite II. Whether you have useful data depends on what machine you are using now. Your profile says Resmed S10 and does not specify the model. FWIW, in the 3-years you have been a forum member you are yet to share any useful information that would let us help you to help yourself. I assume you will get a sleep study and if it continues to recommend using CPAP, you will find yourself in the same situation as earlier unless you're open to making meaningful changes...hopefully you're cured.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a chance you will end up needing the same pressure as before, less pressure than before, or no CPAP machine at all. Did you not not discuss these issues with your doctors before you decided to have the surgery? Your surgeon is the person best able to determine if you should be using your CPAP machine now during your recovery.

What problems did you experience with your CPAP therapy before the surgery?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 152 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,032 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 119 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 177 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,016 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.